Used SE w/ 1000 mi for $20.6k

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by CuriousGeorge, Oct 12, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Yeah right, "minor dent/scratches." The whole driver-side wheel well is crushed, and the driver's seat is shredded likely from side airbag deployment. You have to figure the insurance company totaled it because it was too expensive to fix.

4. CuriousGeorge

If I read things correctly, the damage exceeded 75% of the estimated $34k value of the car. If so, hard to imagine turning a profit after repairing the vehicle. But, perhaps someone knows something we don't?

5. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

The value is in the parts.

Crashed Teslas go for stupid amounts of money because people are salvaging the motors and batteries for other conversions and projects.

With the SE, there's a lot of shared parts with the ICE vehicles so in addition to the EV bits everything that's not smashed would be useful for body shops

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    Texas22Step and MichaelC like this.
  6. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

If the battery pack and electric motor are intact, maybe someone wants a power train for a project car. I've always thought an electric Porsche 914 would be a hoot.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CuriousGeorge

That's a possibility I hadn't considered. However, a quick spin around the web reveals lots of totaled late-model ICE versions selling for much, much less.

9. CuriousGeorge

Or do only the repairs necessary and otherwise strip the car to use it only for autocross? Who knows... but I am curious.

F14Scott likes this.
  10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, the battery pack alone is probably worth close to $10,000. Could be insurance companies don't yet have enough BEV data in their actuary tables.

11. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

That hood/bonnet with the scoop is worth big $$. ;) I will take the rear view mirror for 100 Alex.

F14Scott and insightman like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ghost

ghost Active Member

Yeah? You think any one will want to trade for a plain one when mine comes in next month? I'm with @insightman, I can do w/o the scoop.

insightman likes this.