Ionic 5 BMS

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Smitty79, Oct 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Smitty79

Smitty79 Member

I own a Model 3. It's not going to be a 10 year plus car for me. I want something that has more cargo capacity, while retaining good road trip capability.

I am very interested in an Ionic 5 when they come to the US. But I'm concerned that the battery management system doesn't control battery temperature for optimum power and charging speed. Under ideal conditions, it's great. But I've seen several video reviews that show inconsistent charging and motor power. This video from Bjorn Nyland, seems to explain it as a battery temperature issue. This also makes me question the long term battery health. What do you all think?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It's a battery protection feature which means the battery will last longer.

4. Smitty79

Smitty79 Member

My concern is that the BMS doesn't control battery temperature very well. When I see Bjorn's Tesla videos, battery temperature is much more well controlled.

5. Dag Lindquist, Kirk and GaryClark like this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    I see not a stitch of cooling capabilities. Oh my, say I'm wrong.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The videographer showed only one end of the battery. Perhaps the other end (the front end?) has the hose attachments for the cooling fluid. The battery certainly doesn't look like it could be air-cooled and the availability of a heat pump in favored markets reinforces the assumption the battery is liquid-cooled. This is no Leaf.

GaryClark likes this.
  9. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

And hopefully no last Gen Kia Soul *cough* 3rd pack since new *cough* :(

10. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    I'm asking Charlie if he could translate and verify the conversation. Looked to be a salvage operation as the battery had a bulge up from the bottom. It did have plastic under it possibly for coolant leaks or maybe it's a way of keeping inventory of salvaged parts that have hundreds of pieces detectible of prying eyes that have stick fingers. Either way Bjørn Nyland video was concerning in this regard.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. "I own a Model 3. It's not going to be a 10 year plus car for me. I want something that has more cargo capacity, while retaining good road trip capability."

Same here, that's why I ordered a Model Y. When it arrives, in January, I'll decide whether to replace the Model 3 or the old RAV4 V6.
    YMMV, of course, but if you plan to keep a car for 10 years, don't forget to factor in resale value as well as initial purchase price.

13. MrMjay

MrMjay New Member

Edit

14. This is for the EV6 but I expect the I5 will be the same. Has anyone with an I5 experienced this?

15. He is describing pretty typical cold gating of the battery. Meaning the BMS won't deliver full power from a DC charger until the battery temperature is above 20 degrees C(in Ionic 5, likely same for EV6), in the Kona its 25C. Hyundai does not pre warm it batteries before arriving at DC charger like Tesla does. The winter mode will warm battery if have a battery heater, but it won't start heating until a DC charger is plugged in.

16. We had a bit of a cold spell here a week ago (7 C), and was at a nearby Petro-Canada fast charger. I only saw 43 kW, which is the lowest I have ever seen (highest here was at 77 kW in the summer). At the same time there was a Tesla M3 charging on the other side, and he was only drawing 31 kW with his Chademo adapter! And he was only at 50% SOC, so not like he was near full.

17. MrMjay

MrMjay New Member

So the (optional) ECO Pack on the IONIQ 5 won't help much?