Well this happened....

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by J.Dubs, Oct 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

Took it to the dealer and they don't have anyone qualified to work on it until Friday. mini issue.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Dislike.

Did the dealer tell you what it could be or did they at least read the OBD code?

That very poorly worded error message could be anything from something serious to just your 12V battery crapping out...

4. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

They did look at the codes and told me it is something that should be looked at but I didn’t ask for any specifics. I was in a parking lot not moving when it popped up. It would not let me drive. So I waited and called the roadside line and they were prepared to send a tow truck. But the car eventually let me move it. The dealership was only .25 miles from where I was so I just took it there to let them see what that was all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

GvilleGuy likes this.
  5. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Ugh - sorry for the ambiguous messaging. Hopefully nothing serious.

6. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Remind me...the MINI can't be towed, can it?

Hopefully it would have worked out, but twice in my life I have bad experiences with towing companies not understanding the specific demands of the job they were supposed to perform. The first time, they showed up without the deep, thin-walled socket needed to change the flat of the Mercedes of the realtor showing me around, even though they were informed that it was specifically the lack of that tool that required her to call a towing service in the first place. The second time, they showed up with a tow truck too tall to extract my wife's SUV from an underground parking garage, even though the height restriction was clearly conveyed to them.

Sorry...apparently I'm still bearing the scars of those experiences! :)

GvilleGuy and J.Dubs like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

According to the manual - the Mini requires a flat bed truck for transport.

J.Dubs likes this.
  9. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming (and I recognize that J.Dubs may have been using "tow truck" euphemistically).

J.Dubs likes this.
  10. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

All Good, the computer didn't like the 18" wheels. Reprogrammed and we will see what happens.

Lainey and polyphonic like this.
  11. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

We've had discussions on this board about this and, manual notwithstanding, nobody can think of a reason not to tow by lifting the front wheels, only. The aft wheels freewheel. Many RV drivers use Coopers as dinghies, using dollies for the front wheels.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

There's certainly not much rear overhang to worry people who put their own MINIs onto a dolly behind an RV, but I'd worry about some random, bed-less tow-truck driver finding a way to damage my MINI on the way to the shop.

14. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

insightman likes this.
  15. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread a week later, but can you elaborate on what "the computer didn't like"?

joshf2k likes this.
  16. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

No idea. That’s just what the dealer told me. They reset the computer and I haven’t had any further issues

17. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

I am going to have my trusted body cum mechanic shop to do my winter tires. We planned for no TPMS. I hope that this doesnt happen to me