InsideEVs Podcast episodes

Discussion in 'General' started by Domenick, Apr 25, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My MINI Cooper SE uses a 12 V AGM battery, and they have to be "tuned" to the car. You can replace the battery without doing that, but MINIs have such extensive error-checking that you might see errors.

AGM batteries cost so much I'd be tempted to get a lithium-ion 12 V battery replacement.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I think a lot of the procedure will depend on the make and model of the car, at least as far as finding. Here are a couple videos I tracked down for Nissan Leaf and Chevy Bolt EV.

4. Kegardne

Kegardne New Member

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Perhaps the brain trust might address:

Are any of the non-Tesla EV makers noticing how quickly their EVs sell relative to their traditional inventory?​

Bob Wilson

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. That definitely be a interesting thing to check out. Unfortunately now, with the production constraints on so many cars, the results might be skewed by which models automakers are actually making. I've seen some reports of Es getting preferential treatment for chips supply, so it could possibly look better than it might be it these were normal times.

8. I watched #79. Nothing greatly interesting. Too much talk and emphasis on "fun" driving and raw power with the Hummer and Plaid cars. On the Hummer would have liked to hear more about the SUV capabilities/versatility of the vehicle, like the rear bed, interior, etc. Does the rear seat and window open (like the old Avalanches)? And the Plaid, just another <3 sec car, but what about the rest, interior, etc. The MX-30, a complete fail with that one, but again no surprise.

9. Watched #80. BMW is another fail, no comparison to Porsche or Audi. Very ugly, too, with the old staid BMW grille style. Specs very unimpressive. Tom gave it a lot more credit than deserved. EQS also looks much better than the BMW incl the interior. More impressive tech and specs, too. But Taycan still tops with the German cars, and by a long shot.

Mach-E looks good all around, Ford did a good job with this one, esp with the handling of this performance model. I see a lot of Mach-Es on the road here and at the charging stations. Very popular, given how new it still is. Volvo C40, another ugly duckling. And poor specs with range, etc. Kyle very generous with his review. Nothing good I see with it.

No discussion on sound systems, and how quiet on the road. Why is that? This is important.

10. To remove this ad click here.

11. bwilson4web

I appreciate looking at cars we can’t buy (or afford) driven at speeds we can’t cruise. Just I’m not seeing engineering technology details like the Munro videos. Don’t stop as there are worse reviews out there. You’all are doing good … even if somewhat aspirational.

Bob Wilson

Domenick likes this.
  12. Mark Richards

Mark Richards Member

Hey @Domenick I have a 19 bolt, and am getting my new battery on the 16th. I live 45 minutes from Kyle. I thought you all might want to do a range and charging test before and after. But I don't know how to get ahold of Kyle.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Domenick likes this.
  13. Thanks! Congrats on getting your new battery and I'll let him know.

Mark Richards likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

A suggestion, include in your reviews if an EV is SuperCharger lane compatible.

Tesla should sell a SuperCharger-to-CCS adapter cable. Not to make money hand over fist. Rather as a hack to add more SuperChargers while claiming CCS compatible.

Like the old battery swap nonsense, see the expression on the regulator faces.

BTW, I like the idea of class action and personal lawyers being lined up to sue the NHTSA staff for killing AutoPilot. Perhaps the prospect of taking responsibility for foolishness might make them more empirically responsible.

Bob Wilson

Domenick likes this.
  15. Are you talking about this?
    https://techcrunch.com/2021/11/02/tesla-recalls-11704-vehicles-after-identifying-full-self-driving-beta-software-error/
    https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/tesla-s-after-the-fact-recall-of-software-update-upends-old-rules-of-the-road-1.1677635
    Sounds like the NHTSA is having some success in trying to protect Tesla drivers from the company's reckless OTA update practices. I would like to see that topic discussed in a future podcast.

16. bwilson4web

Careful what you wish for:
    https://www.tesla.com/VehicleSafetyReport

Q2 2021

In the 2nd quarter, we recorded one crash for every 4.41 million miles driven in which drivers were using Autopilot technology (Autosteer and active safety features). For drivers who were not using Autopilot technology (no Autosteer and active safety features), we recorded one crash for every 1.2 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 484,000 miles.
    Bob Wilson

Mark Richards likes this.
  17. Yes, driver assist features do reduce accidents, even in Teslas (autopilot), despite its bugs. I have them in both my cars, and get reduced insurance as a result.

18. Mark Richards

Mark Richards Member

Either the car or the charger, or both should display what the car is requesting and what the charger is delivering. That would avoid so many of these questions. The charger could even include a message saying "charger maxed at 200amp* or whatever is relevant

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

19. I watched #84, mostly to see their comments about the Solterra. A little disappointed in their shallow review. Obviously not very familiar with Subaru, and what their cars are all about. If they would have watched the Japanese vid they would have seen it off-road and going up some pretty steep and rough trails. And didn't even mention the clearance, which is so important. Hopefully after this Wed's NA reveal, we will get some better info. Subaru ICE SUVs have superior suspension and AWD traction to handle rough roads and wash board (much smoother than a truck or Jeep). I expect the Solterra to be the same or better.

They also questioned the FWD version projected range, but failed to understand/mention that FWD is more efficient. That is why the Kona achieves such good range, despite not having the best aerodynamics.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  20. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

I heard their discussion as more focused on its EV capabilities which, as they said, are fine for 3 or 4 years ago. I share their disappointment in, or possibly even resentment of Toyota's disdain for BEVs. They are late to the party. As Martyn said, if they can indeed demonstrate off-road bona fides, that could help them in the market.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk