which fuse for vess in kona electric??

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by HudsonKona, May 17, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. HudsonKona

HudsonKona Member

i have the 2010 kona limited electric in new york. at low speeds the virtual whanggg does not bother me, but some times, like stopped at a stop light for a few minutes are irritating.
    i thought using the auto-hold feature would stop it(since vess is definitely not needed when stopped). but it seems to still be on as long as the car is in D.

so has anyone had luck muffling it(duct tape somewheres) or it there a fuse that could be removed?(without losing a bunch of needed things?

it never has drawn anyone outside’s attention to the car! so it is useless from a safety point of view.

thanks for any ideas(other than turn the radio volume up, or manually put the car in P, when stopped at stop lights)

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Shark

Shark Active Member

Where is the "thing" that makes the noise located on the car? I have a large sledgehammer in my garage I have not used in a while.

Also suggest you immediately stop driving your 2010 Kona and sell it. 2010 Konas are so absolutely rare that any automobile museum will pay you a hefty premium for your car.

4. You can disconnect the "thing" under the hood. Removing the fuse disconnects other features. Do a search in this forum.

5. HudsonKona

HudsonKona Member

6. HudsonKona

HudsonKona Member

sorry. its a 2020. first typing mistake i ever made .
    and i will try the suggestion i just saw elsewhere to look under the hood latch for a connection that can be unclicked

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I'm not being trying to be a dick and I really don't care much what you do with your own car ( though I might if I were blind and lived in your neighborhood) but I am sincerely curious about what you used to do when idling an ice car. Did you turn the key off at lights, tear your hair out, go into therapy?

Bill Carter likes this.
  9. Shark

Shark Active Member

Just trying to add some humor to the day.

10. Note: this method works and can be turned on and off at will with the use of a push button so better than pulling the connector off under the hood, for experimental purposes only at your own risk, for outside U.S. only because it would go against the U.S. Dept. of Transportation guidelines;)
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/modifications-and-tweaks.5009/page-8#post-105992
    Follow the thread through as there are other termination options rather than using a soldering iron.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  11. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

If you were blind and lived in my neighborhood I'd watch for you, since the fact of my driving speaks to me not being blind. Also, my friends who drive an ICE Lexus which is dead silent at low speed (like many other gas cars thanks to modern mufflers) would exercise the same caution which enabled them to avoid hitting many parking lot wandering blind people in the past. Fortunately thanks to our all wise government being partial to fossil fuel these incredibly quiet gas cars aren't required to have VESS since they apparently pose none of the same perils with their silence as their EV counterparts.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I am sitting on the fence on VESS. I can see the reason for it, BUT the wast majority of modern cars are so quiet when rolling slow that they are hard to hear - even if your hearing is 'perfect'. I think the law should apply to all new cars.

14. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

That "thing" has been reconfigured for the 2021 model - there is no apparent plug, anyone out there have any ideas?

electriceddy likes this.
  15. Schematics here (for 19 MY) should not be much different:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/has-anyone-successfully-added-a-switch-to-turn-vss-off-on.9034/#post-101953
    actual modification here:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/modifications-and-tweaks.5009/page-8#post-105992
    Suggest you first unplug the connector attached to the switch block, verify the green wire to pin 7, then have at it.
    Much better and more functional than unplugging the hood connector anyway:)

mho and Jimct like this.
  16. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

What jimct said. Modern ICE cars with stock setup are inaudible in all but the quietest environments, and
    consider that noisy urban areas are where you'll get the highest density of pedestrians. One of my pages
    shows the easiest way to silence the noisebox.

For all the supposed good intentions, a pedestrian's best defense is an alert driver.

_H*

17. Hmmm... I think a pedestrian's best defence is to be aware of his/her surroundings. Like head up looking around, not hunched over absorbed in some small screen. And ears open, not plugged with "buds".

Not saying the driver has no responsibility. Driver on the phone (whether legal or not) is highly distracted. Excessive engagement in conversation with passengers is just as bad.

Common sense applies to both, but unfortunately it's not common enough.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Lars likes this.
  18. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

19. Your connector looks a little different than mine - I'm thinking Hyundai has taken steps to thwart this undertaking.
    View attachment 13665 [/QUOTE]
    This is a picture of the fuse panel, the button assy is above that, opposite facing , reach up behind the crash pad button assembly and you will feel it, can be removed carefully by squeezing the connector lock- see diagrams/schematics 24 pin connector. If you use a mirror and a flashlight you can see it easier. The connector has enough slack on the leads that you can do the work thru the fuse panel opening.

mho likes this.
  20. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Turns out the plug is there. I think it's smaller than the one in the '19 I just traded for the '21, and turns out I just wasn't pressing the release clip hard enough.

21. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

It’s your car and you can do with it what you like, but if you are involved in an accident involving a pedestrian in a jurisdiction where VESS is required and yours has been disconnected, you may be held legally liable. This is not a minor concern here in the US.

I too am not in love with the VESS sound (I’d love to have some options) but I have accepted it and over time have gotten used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Lars likes this.