Drove the Mustang Mach-E todays... impressions

Discussion in 'Mustang Mach-E' started by miatadan, May 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

This week dealership here in Sudbury ( Cambrian Ford ) which since having my drivers license have purchased 9 Ford Mustang's.

They have always treated me well and been fair in pricing.

I am not happy with pricing in Canada with starting price of $50495 which means it does not qualify for $5000 EV rebate.

The Mustang's I owned in the past were from 1992 to 2004

What was impressive about the Mach-E was the steering feel and handling . Did not feel like average SUV at all.

Of course because I am short guy at to raise power seat alot. Stereo system was good.

Tried 1 pedal driving, not used to not having foot on the brake when stopped but works well.

Guess will have to sell some of my McIntosh audio components as used can sell for $8000-9000 each.

If I go for the Mach-E it be the basic RWD Select package with couple of options, most likely the 2022 model year

Dan

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

Nice that you got to try it. Is it a demo they have on the lot? My local dealer doesn't have any to try out

4. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

It was demo that arrived this week.

It is completely different from reading reviews and watching videos ( YouTube) and actually driving the Mach-E

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

I was in Sudbury Friday last week for a med. appointment and drove right in front of Cambrian on the way home. Might need to book an appointment for a test drive soon.

6. alexgorod

alexgorod New Member

I drove three - first two were ordered by customer who refused to take them (and both were sold the next day or two), and another one was a demo that I could take for a couple of hours. It only took a couple of miles to get used to one pedal driving, but I probably need to use it much longer to understand if I really prefer it. Didn't like the lane assist - wanted to go around a car in the next lane that was too close to comfort, and had to fight the steering wheel that tried to push me back to the middle of my lane. This thing will be first to go; unfortunately I didn't try lane departure warning - hopefully it's more useful.
    Hopefully will get mine (ordered a month ago) before the end of the year...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

If you use the turn signals, Lane Assist turns off during their use. I use Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) for most of my driving and find it very useful.

For Canadian and Northern US customers, keep in mind the reduction in range in cold weather. I knew I would need 200+ miles many times for my winter driving which is why I went with the Extended Battery. If you need 150 miles or so in cold weather for your daily driving, the Standard Battery will work great for you.

9. I just test drove a Route 1 here in BC. I'm coming at this from the perspective of a Kona EV owner. I found the ride comfort to be much better than the Kona with it's shorter wheel base. The ride comfort surprised me given the loads of videos out there saying it was harsher than say the ID4 or Ioniq 5. Ride comfort is really important to me.

I also liked the Intelligent Cruise Control with it's ability to maintain speed limits and the ability to set a tolerance for it (ie speed limit within +- 5km). This is a step above the Kona Adaptive Cruise. I never had adaptive cruise before but now would consider it an 'essential' :). The room is another pleasant plus. Very roomy and a frunk! The park assist is great as well although a little scary in how close it gets to other cars in it's parking attempt.

The big downside here in Canada is the pricing. Unless you get the Select trim there are no rebates (except for Quebec I believe). Hard to justify spending almost $80K on the AWD Premium extended range when you can get and ID4 AWD extended range for $58K. For that matter you can get a Tesla Model Y AWD long range for the same price as the Mach E. I haven't driven a Tesla yet because they have none in my area to test but again another downside to the Mustang pricing.

10. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

The Mach-e was spec'd against the Tesla Model Y and stacks up very well with it. In all aspects and, yeah, in the price, too. Have you test driven an ID.4 yet? I paid a premium price for my Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD with Extended Battery but feel I got what I paid for.

EVatLast likes this.
  11. I haven't had a chance to test out the ID4. The dealer got one in for a day for show and tell. It looked good but can't tell much from a 30 second sit in it. There aren't any in customers hands yet here in Canada. I do have a reservation for one. From what I see on all the reviews it is very comfy and well liked. I want to at least try it and the Ioniq5 before making a decision on what ev to get next.

I'll have to say though that the mach e is a really nice looking car though. If I thought I could get along with the lower range I'd definitely consider it. I see the 2022 is freeing up a little more useable battery which increases the range slightly which might put the lower range AWD at 217+. Problem with that would be how much less range could be expected in the winter months.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

I'll let you know about the winter range. I live in upstate NY and it gets bitter cold at times. Though not as cold as Ontario to my north. I'm expecting a 25 to 30% drop in range on the worst of days.

EVatLast likes this.
  14. Thanks. I don't expect to see either the ID4 or Ioniq 5 here til early 2022. Your weather is probably a lot colder than I have it here. Our Kona can still dip 15-20% in the winter.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    SThomas219 likes this.
  15. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

The loss in cold range will affect users differently. Myself as an example, most driving is short range with some trips for work. Most of my longer trips are in the warmer season and not in the dead of winter.

For my situation an AWD standard battery suits my needs.

Someone that routinely drives long distances in the cold winter will have a greater concern of range loss due to cold weather.

EVatLast likes this.
  16. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

Precisely why I got the extended battery and RWD for my Mach-e. I make several round trips to nearby cities during the hockey season. Didn't want to have to charge as they are around 150 miles each. I suspect I shall have enough without a charging stop though DCFC stations are available along the routes.

EVatLast and aamyotte like this.