Non Tesla Supercharger Hack ?

Discussion in 'General' started by electric mistress, Sep 29, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. electric mistress

electric mistress New Member

Is anyone else considering adding a used Tesla Charging Port assembly to their NON Tesla EV ?
    I was wondering if this could be done to my Niro by just wiring the charge port in parallel with my existing High Voltage lines.
    Then perhaps program a chip to handle the handshake, maybe with a cloned Tesla account.

Just wondering if there are any obvious problem with this other than the communication that would have to be spoofed.

Thanks if y'all have any input.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Why in earth would you even want to do it?

4. electric mistress

I want to charge my Niro EV with a Tesla DC Supercharger.
    Is this intention not obvious ?
    Non Tesla Supercharger Hack

If you can not see the obvious benefit for such capability then please do not reply.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

There have been reports that Tesla might open access to the SuperCharger network but nothing showing up in North America.

‘Rich Rebuilds’ discovered that Tesla will turn off access even for his salvage repair.

Bob Wilson

Kirk and laptop like this.
  6. electric mistress

Ya, I think that may be years away from that happening in the US regardless of recent enthusiasm.
    I think you could spoof another tesla's handshake if a friend were willing.
    Anyone have any ideas on how to go ahead and move forward with such a project ?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sounds like theft of what others have paid or are paying for si?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. bwilson4web

The SuperCharger protocol requires having a linked, valid, credit card to the vehicle and account. But then other fast DC chargers require payment too.

Bob Wilson

Kirk likes this.
  10. marshall

Isn't hacking a federal offense, with fines and jail time? Besides, anyone willing to open their account takes on the potential cost of service and a lifetime ban if caught. Certainly, any Tesla owner is going to report anyone attempting to do as you propose.

I believe, how fast and how many of Tesla Superchargers open up will depend on how much money the federal and state governments are willing to give them. Tesla doesn't have to open all of their chargers, just the ones subsidized by the government.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  11. electric mistress

Your gonna be real sad then when losers with kia's can use superchargers cause this network will eventually be public so...
    Nobody stealing here , a valid account would be used with cooperation from friend.

Anyone got any Ideas or do we just want points for responding with nothing ?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. electric mistress

So I guess i'll buy this used charge port and keep my ideas private....
    Anyone with Ideas please let me know.

14. electric mistress

From what I have seen so far, the fed wants to give nothing to tesla because it is not unionized.
    The Fed has congratulated Ford for leading the way for the EV revolution.
    Hoping for the best fear the usual!

15. marshall

There is nothing I can find in HR3684, section 11401 that mentions unions.

16. electric mistress

Were trying to charge a Kia on a supercharger here, so if you have any information that can benefit this attempt please let me know.
    I have purchased the charging module now if anyone knows anything about reading the handshake and spoofing it please let me know.

17. bwilson4web

The physical port is not enough. You'll need the communications protocol and that is unlikely to be unencrypted and easily spoofed. Regardless, good luck!

Bob Wilson

Kirk likes this.
  18. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the Tesla protocol is a relatively simple CAN-based thing, I would assume you already
    know that. "Relatively" compared to the CCS horror-show, anyway. Now, a really cool hack would be a box to
    take Supercharger in one side and translate it into enough baseline CCS to charge any CCS car without having
    to mod the car itself. Using a known/legit Tesla VIN and account, presumably. If Tesla becomes part of the
    public network they'll have to do the rough equivalent inside the superchargers anyways, and hopefully put
    CCS heads on them rather than try to squeeze the market by selling some fancy expensive adapter to anyone
    who wants to play.

I'm totally behind any reverse-engineering that happens in this regard.

What's a good source for CCS connectors? I've got a couple of other ideas...

_H*

Kirk likes this.
  19. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

Why do that? I am almost positive that what will happen is that tesla will release a Telsa to CCS adapter to open up their network. Just buy that.

electriceddy likes this.
  20. electric mistress

GG

This discussion is HOW not WHY please do not post here if you do not understand.

21. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

IF and when (big if) you try this on your first try expect to get a call and follow up by the FBI. I won’t get into specifics but hacking into a company by an online communication is against the law…..federal law.
    I hope you have good Wi-Fi in the lockup so you can tell us how that hacking thing went

22. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

Why waste countless thousands of dollars on a pointless modification. Just get the adapter whenever it comes out.

Even if you switch over the port on your car today, you still wouldn't be able to charge on the supercharger network. Tesla will know that a hacked car is trying to access the network. It's difficult for salvaged teslas to charge on the supercharger network, if they even charge at all. I have no idea how you would clone a tesla account and it not raise an alarm in the system either - a third party tesla to ccs adapter hasn't been made for a reason.

You are basically asking how to do something that will ultimately turn your car into a brick. It doesn't make sense. If you are that desperate to get onto the tesla network, just sell your niro and buy a tesla or be patient and wait for the tesla to ccs adapter when it gets made by tesla.

23. bwilson4web

I recommend: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

1. Physical layer - just buy parts from eBay
    2. Data link layer - there are reports it is CAN bus but also mixed with J1772 protocol. I would start with a digital oscope to identify protocol and get a microprocessor with appropriate interface.
    3. Network layer - you'll need to identify the communication frames (i.e., packets.) From this point, you'll need a SuperCharger enabled Tesla to 'wire tap' the communications and record sessions. You'll also need a network bus analyzer, or build one, to capture sessions to support reverse engineering.
    4. Transport layer - it may need to reach from the car back to servers using SuperCharger as a repeater or router.
    5. Session layer - how your vehicle and equipment identifies itself to the SuperCharger network. I would expect a VIN and potentially password and/or encryption keys. Some of them can be 'difficult.'
    6. Presentation layer - setup communications to share battery and charger status
    7. Application layer - when charging voltage and current pass from SuperCharger to vehicle
    I would defer to any recommendations from @hobbit or the OBD scanning tool builders.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    Kirk likes this.