Receiver Hitch

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by revcp, Sep 29, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. revcp

revcp New Member

We are looking at the ID4 (Pro or Pro S). Does anyone know whether a VW made or aftermarket receiver hitch will mount to it? If we can't carry bikes with it, we'll need to look at a different vehicle. It would be stunningly stupid of that's not possible.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Yes - it is a little complicated, but there are options.

The 1st edition came with a 1-1/4" hitch receiver. That's what I have, and I bought a hitch ball that fits it. A neighbor gave me a bike rack that fits into a 1-1/4" receiver. Easy-peasy.

But what is weird is that just Pro or Pro-S don't have a hitch receiver option. I believe you need to order the AWD variant to get that.

But if you don't have AWD, there is now an aftermarket option on etrailer from Draw-Tite. Install manual here:

https://www.draw-tite.com/product-assets/install/N76521.pdf

I believe if you go with this option, you get a 2" receiver.

revcp likes this.
  4. Darryl Thompson

Darryl Thompson New Member

I just got an AWD Pro S and it has a 1 1/4” receiver.

5. Clonbur

Clonbur New Member

Buying a used '22 ID.4 Pro and it has the factory Class II, 1 1/4" receiver. During my search I noticed that '21 models I was looking at didn't include the receiver. Interestingly, the 1 1/4" is easily (15 minute DIY job) changed to a Class III 2" receiver. Just unbolt the four easy to reach bolts on the 1.25 and replace with the 2". If equipped with a receiver the trailer wiring can be finished off with receptacle gadget that sells for around $20. Search for
    "Pollak 11-893P RV 7-Way Socket".

6. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Yeah, only first edition and awd have the hitch receiver. 1-1/4 is fine for a bike rack.
    Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Inside EVs mobile app

7. To remove this ad click here.