How to disable VESS (Virtual Engine Sound System) on 2020 (US)

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Nelson1994, Sep 21, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. kri

kri New Member

There is a slight gap right below the trunk opening latch and radiator in 2020 Niro EV. If look into this space, you will find VESS cable. Use a steel straw to push the cable lock which is facing towards radiator until you hear a click sound. that basically unlocks the cable. You can pull the cable right up to disconnect VESS. This took 2 minutes for me to disconnect. hope this helps.
    Below is the link to purchase steel straw from Amazon. its $2.
    https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Straws-Stainless-Cleaning-Tumblers/dp/B07QXKWP6B/ref=asc_df_B07QXKWP6B/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343269713726&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16118803891621135695&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033301&hvtargid=pla-757290561104&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=71833457474&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343269713726&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16118803891621135695&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033301&hvtargid=pla-757290561104

Robert Bratton likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

It would be great if you took a pic of doing this for people who want to permanently disable it.
    I am satisfied with the switch solution

Danhen likes this.
  4. I prefer to have the ability to control it, there are a lot of unconscious people walking through parking lots, even with the loud beeper. In these cases loud is safer.

JBW11 and ENirogus like this.
  5. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

In parking lots I have taken to letting it bong once, then shutting it off

6. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Anyone know what he is talking about? I can't figure it out.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Because my neighbors are dropping hints at how "cute" the forklift sound is. They are trying to be polite and diplomatic. I know when to take a hint. They don't think the sound is cute.

Kendalf likes this.
  9. Jack W Kielsmeier

Jack W Kielsmeier New Member

I have a 2020 EX Premium. I "think" I see the connector but want to be sure. I made a quick video as to what I think I need to unplug. Is this correct?

10. Jack W Kielsmeier

Jack W Kielsmeier New Member

It is the shown connector. You can use the straw kri mentioned above to unlatch it. I couldn't pull it up with the straw, but I was able to reach my hand in there and pull it up.

11. midnightrider

midnightrider New Member

I just bought a 2022 Kia Niro EV. The reverse sound was like a dump truck in the driveway. My wife said to turn it off. Ok. I decided the disconnect approach was my best option. I followed the instructions on the post prior to remove the front bumper, with the proper tab removal tools (Amazon), and I got to the last step which was to removed the bumper. I elected to try to remove one side only and put my hand in and remove the connector. With a bit of courage and a quick but firm pull, I successfully parted the right side of the bumper from the vehicle with only a tiny, tiny plastic piece as collateral damage. I pulled the VESS connector off with a pair of needle nosed pliers and carefully re-assembled the bumper and bottom separator. It disabled the sound, and with no warning light (so far). I considered wiring in a switch, but I would have had to chase down a wiring diagram, and a lot more work. I've decided that a quick tap on the horn when I'm backing in a parking lot will do just fine as an alternative the the overly loud and obnoxious reverse chime.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

funnyperson1 likes this.
  14. BillX

BillX New Member

I have a 22 Niro and like many are not happy with reverse noise. People here have stated they have successfully disconnected the connector via accessing in the gap under the hood, apparently either with a metal straw, a long screwdriver, or even their hands. I have tried to disconnect but so far have not had success...I am having trouble unlocking the connector with my hand or tools. I have torn up my hand pretty well reaching under there. Just to confirm, where is this tab on the connector that must be pressed? It is facing away from front of car I assume? Is it pretty low down on the connector? How much force is needed and how wide is this tab? Frustrated...it is seems like others didn't have any problems, at least not that they mentioned. My hands are pretty large...Thanks.

LegoZ likes this.
  15. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

On a FB Niro group that I'm part of, one new US 2022 owner claimed that the reverse sound didn't seem that loud. I'm just curious if KIA has indeed lowered the volume for 2022. Could any US 2022 owners compare the volume to the 2020 model in this video? I know it's difficult to really compare to a video, but in the video the horn is honked in the middle to give some reference for relative volumes.
    Tagging the ones who recently posted as 2022 owners on the reverse noise threads: @BillX @midnightrider @Lagsun

16. Crash

Crash Member

Would say just as loud for 2022.

Kendalf likes this.
  17. BillX

BillX New Member

Agree, but cannot say for certain without hearing them side by side. 2022 seems too loud to me.

Wish I could disconnect the connector like some here have done easily it seems.

18. BillX

BillX New Member

Success! Just using my fingers I was able to unlock via pressure on top part of connector, hear click, pull up, and remove. No more bothering neighbors or family members in early morning.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    Derrydave likes this.
  19. Uscolt45

Uscolt45 New Member

I tried looking for the wire on my 2022 Niro EV and can’t seem to locate it. Any chance you could take some better pictures of the location or maybe FaceTime to help me out? I looked at the video above and can’t seem to find a wire that looks the same. Tired of listening to that crap lol.

Thanks

Bryan

20. Uscolt45

Uscolt45 New Member

Disregard I figured it out. What helped me was disconnecting the radiator bolts and prying it away from the front plastic “frame”. Easily fit my hand in there after that. Also removed the hood latch assembly. I was looking downward in the radiator and not seeing the wire. Realized it was forward of the radiator reaching towards the Kia logo on the front bumper, in the 1” gap.

Pic of the radiator bolt to remove, one on each side.

DE0B2A84-FC8E-4EF5-BD5F-1ED7CC966D18.jpeg

21. Robert Besen

Robert Besen Member

I put in a fuse bypass switch to enable/disable the backup "chime" but I wonder if anyone knows what the other function on that fuse, BATT_COOL_EXV, does. Is it a warning, or is it needed to turn on battery cooling when needed, or something else? Anyone have a shop manual that sheds light on this?

Robert Bratton and BarryP like this.
  22. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I'm interested in this too.
    -Barry

23. That controls the cooling fan for the 64kWh battery. I know it kicks in when fast charging on warmer days at high speed (it is noisy). I do not know if it kicks in more quietly under ordinary operation