Spare tire and rim of some sort I had my first flat..

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by GPM432, Mar 24, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I did a lot of research online when I first started to look for a compact spare. The gas Kona has a 16" compact spare that sells online and at the dealer. I have seen comments from Kona Ev owners that have bought this. It works on the gas models and only works on the front of the Ev models. The 16" wheel won't fit on the rear of the Ev due to the extra space needed for the electric parking brake. From what I had previously read a 17" wheel will clear the rear brakes. Also, all Kias and Hyundais have the same wheel hub size and lug size and bolt pattern. So I bought the 17" x 4" steel compact wheel from Hyundai and brought it home to test fit it on both the front and rear for clearance. It fit perfectly so I went back to the dealer and ordered the tire. Sorry for the long answer but just wanted to let you know that I did test fit it. By the way the compact steel wheel is also identical to that used on a Kia sportage.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I put a plug in this morning, just a single regular size one. Seemed to go in tight just as with any screw plug fix I have done in the past. I pumped it up, and no leakage at all right from initial pressure before the plug got fully seated in by the air pressure. So looks very good. I took it for a test ride and pressures all good. I have the pressure set to the same as the other tires, 37 PSI and will keep the dash tire pressure display on to monitor it for a while. I will also carry my portable air pump (works from the 12V socket) for a while, in case it loses pressure at any time. I still have lots of tread on these, so won't mount my spare Nexens just yet.

In hindsight, I should not have been lazy, and fixed it right at the water park with a plug. I did carry the kit, so had everything I needed. But it was holding pressure with the screw still in, so thought I was OK until I got home. I think pumping it up further and the hot weather/pavement is what did me in. Lesson learned...

Meanwhile, I am going to look for a spare tire. Very good info here from everyone, so that gives me a great head start on my search. I think I will try calling some wreckers first, to see what they have. Anyone in the Lower Mainland here that may have some suggestions for where/who, please let me know.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. I will save you a headache. The only used 17" compact spare rims for Hyundai Tucson (2018+, older than that are 16") in Canada are here:
    https://dougsautoparts.ca/ (Ontario)
    and
    http://www.jeffmillerautoparts.com/ (N.S.)
    just been through this with auto wreckers.
    I have made an appointment next week at Wheaton Hyundai to investigate this further as they do have a used Tuscon for sale so I want to try the compact spare, but I suspect it is a 16" as it is MY2016. Teck will see if any others on the lot with compact spares will fit and get part# or try to get more info at least on that 52910-C1930 part# rim, of which there are zero in Canada of courseo_O :confused:
    If that turns out to be a failure, than I suppose there is always Kia.
    Modern spare kit with the jack and shipping is over $600 CDN:
    https://modernspare.com/product/2018-2021-hyundai-kona-kona-ev-spare-tire-kit-options/

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    Kirk, mho, BC-Doc and 1 other person like this.
  5. Thanks and appreciate the help. If I find anything, will of course post here.

6. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Your car came with the goop tire repair kit it also comes with an air pump so you don't need to purchase a new pump just to let you know.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yes, but what I want now is a spare donut tire.

9. Yes I also found that no used 17" x 4" Hyundai/Kia wheels with or without a tire were available in Western Canada when I was doing my search back in March 2021. An alternative that I looked into was a spare tire kit sold by Kia for the 2017 to 2020 Sportage. It included the steel wheel, jack and lug wrench. (Kia part # D9F40-AK900). The tire needs to be purchased separately and the 135/90/17 can be purchased from a Kia dealership. I don't still have the quote I got from the Kia dealer in North Van but I remember that route ended up being slightly more expensive than the Hyundai route I went with and purchasing the jack and lug wrench separately.

The Kia Sportage spare tire kit (without tire) can also be purchased online in the US for about $140 US. Shipping might be extra.

Another option...... the 2021 Hyundai Palisade manual shows that it comes with a compact spare wheel 18" x 4" with a 155/90/18 tire. You might be able to buy the 18" x 4" wheel separately and mount a 135/80/18 tire (same size tire used by Modern Spare). The 155/90/18 tire circumference will be too large to match the Kona EV stock tires. I'm also not sure a 155/90/18 will fit in the Kona under the cargo floor cover. We do know a 135/80/18 and a 135/90/17 will fit under the cargo floor cover.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  10. I called around to a bunch of auto wreckers, but no luck in finding a donut. If anyone knows of where I can get a cheap used one, please let me know.

The donuts referenced earlier this thread, ie Avera, Genisis, Tucson, etc, on eBay all ship from the US which entails extra shipping charges to Canada. When they open the border again, I can ship to Blaine and pick up myself. I only live 20 min from the border. Hopefully, the US will soon allow us to drive over. We allow them to come here now, as of Aug 9.

11. Yes and now the car is bricked, in a good way.:)

Bricked.jpg

I found a piece of lumber and cut it to 600mm long, 80mm wide, and 100mm deep and shaped the ends and chamfered the back. It's brick 2.0, replacing the original scrap wood.

Brick 2.0.jpg

The spare tyre sits on top of brick 2.0 which you can barely see. Could this be considered an under the air update? The tyre is positioned to the right to be behind the split seat support, and it stays put.

Undertheair.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Handy position, also useful to chock a wheel when replacing, maybe shave a 45 angle ;)

mho and John Lumsden like this.
  14. Hey John,

I have just found a space-saver from an FG Ford Falcon (2008-2011) - I imagine you have those cars over there so this might be useful for other Kiwis.

There were three different space-savers for that model series in 17 and 18 inch and different offsets. 155/80R17 with the black wheel is the one that fits the Kona EV. (There is a yellow version that may not fit, but not having tried it, I cannot confirm.) The PCD and centre match perfectly and the tyre is within a couple of mm of correct overall diameter. Also, when mounted the tyre's centreline is very close to the OEM tyre's centreline so all round, a good fit. I also got the jack kit that comes with the wheel - a styrofoam insert holding the scissor jack and a jack handle that doubles as a lug wrench.

The jack kit is the perfect height to hold the wheel the right height in the spare wheel well and replaces the block of wood.

jack kit.jpg
    Will have to make sure the right towing eye gets packed - that Falcon one won't work.
    Space saver.jpg
    What vehicle did your spare come from? It looks slightly larger than mine but I can't read the size in your pic to confirm. (On my first attempt from the wrecker they gave me an 18 inch version which I didn't notice until I got home.)

Packing it off set to the right is a good idea. It is located more securely and just needs something on the left side to fill the gap and keep it in position.

By rights it should have something to hold it down in the event of a roll-over. I'll have a think about that.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  15. Well done finding that wheel, OzKona. Must be a much lower cost solution than mine. My Tyre is "Pirelli T135/80/R18 Tire W/81 MPH Speed Rating (104M) with A 26.5” Rolling Diameter", and it came from Modern Spare in the USA, after I was inspired by Hobbit's description (post #52 of thread Has anyone else tried to put a spare tire under the hood?) of how he had solved the matter and read that hwitten had got one too. See
    http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/ev/donut/

16. John,

Yours is closer to OEM rolling diameter than mine.

OEM tyres on my Kona are 215/55 R17, dia 26.3 inch.
    Your spare, dia 26.5 - very close.
    My spare, dia 26.8 - close but not as good as yours. 60 PSI inflation, 80kph speed limit.

It cost me AUD$175.00, $80 for the wheel, $95 for the jack kit.

KonaAU likes this.
  17. Hi OzKona, the thing that had me buying the Modern Spare (which itself is a good price but shipping here is a significant cost) was the matter of getting a wheel that would be large enough to fit over the rear brake calliper set up that our Kona EVs have, and which had been signalled as an issue on the posts. If I have a rear wheel flat, I didn't want to have to put the spare on the front to get a wheel that would fit on the rear, when it would be an inconvenient time whenever! Took the easy way out!

18. John, I think I did the same research as you - found right on this site that we needed a 17 inch wheel that matched the OEM rim diameter to clear the rear brakes. I read here about the various options from North American Hyundai models that would suit and also Hobbit's Modern Spares option. But then I found out about the the Aussie FG Falcon option before I found Aussie Hyundai equivalents, so ever keen to keep the cost down, that's the road I took.

John Lumsden and electriceddy like this.
  19. Great work finding the Falcon wheel from all those other suggestions of models that may or may not be in the wild here, OzKona. I'd be interested in what you decide about holding it down (or up, in the case of a roll-over). And let's hope after our diligence, we never get to use the things :)

OzKona likes this.
  20. I've finally joined the spare tyre club today. It's very hard to find 17" spacesavers here in provincial NZ on the second-hand market so I've had to compromise for now with a 16" which came from a 2010 Nissan Xtrail. It was very cheap, just $15 and unused so I took a chance.

This T155/90 D16 wheel has the right stud pattern and the OD is 1.026 of the original, not too far off, but I've had to open up the hub hole by 1mm which was not as much fun to grind out as I had expected. It does fit and clear the caliper on the front as I had hoped and that's better than nothing until I can find the ideal T135/90 D17. The 155 width and overall diameter is a very tight fit in the back but it just squeezes in. I secured it with a hook on the floor and am using a length of PVC pipe to support the rear at the correct height. I still have to procure a scissor jack and a 10mm wing nut.

IMG_1832.jpeg

IMG_1833.jpeg

IMG_1839.jpeg

IMG_1840.jpeg

IMG_1841.jpeg

electriceddy and John Lumsden like this.
  21. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

See https://www.topmaq.co.nz/15t-scissor-jack-auja0950

KiwiME likes this.
  22. Have you tried if it works on the rear with the larger calipers?

23. A 16 inch wheel will not work on a KonaEV's rear wheels. 17 inch minimum.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022