VW ID.4 All-Wheel Drive reviews

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Domenick, Sep 23, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I got to attend the VW ID.4 AWD First Drive event last week and wrote up a piece for Motor1.com about it. Figured I might as well make a thread here for mine and other reviews.

2021 Volkswagen ID.4 AWD First Drive Review: Crossover With Confidence
    2021-volkswagen-id.4-awd.jpg

A lot of car people I know really like the ID.4 but I've been lukewarm on it. I had driven the ID.4 Rear-Wheel Drive 1st Edition and thought it was ok, but the ride was not great. Driving this was totally different. Not sure if it's just down to 19-inch wheels instead of 20's, or if the slightly beefier suspension and added weight are responsible -- maybe it's all of the above -- but man, with the added power, it's just really good.

The software has been improved too, so the screen is quicker, but we still had some navigation issues come up. VW is aware of this and I understand will continue to address software shortcomings through over-the-air updates.

If anyone has any questions I'll try to answer. Feel free to add other reviews in here if you'd like, of course.

rcarter3636 and leehinde like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Our friends at Out of Spec also got to spend some time with it...

4. Transport Evolved was a little less enthusiastic about it, but makes good points.

5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

For whatever reason, they have never liked ID.4 as it just doesn't excite them. I think they just don't like SUV in general as they are more utilitarian in nature.

Mind you, these are people that have chosen to drive the GM Bolt for their personal vehicles.

6. I definitely like this more than the Bolt EV. It's not even close. Though, if I was going to buy an EV, there's a good chance it would be a Bolt EV, because it's closer to what I can afford. It's a good value for the price (aside from the whole recall issue, of course).

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

I take it you were on 2.3 software version?
    The navigation system is a hot mess. Good to know they will address the issue. Hopefully with updated charging maps with vehicle battery information inter graded so we don’t need to use other apps such as ABRP.