Utility mode gone?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by That1guyEd, Sep 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. That1guyEd

That1guyEd New Member

I have. US spec 2022 kona ev limited. Everywhere I read there's a utility mode for the kona. But it appears it's for the previous years. People say to use the on dash menu but my car doesn't have that and only the settings in the infotainment system.

Does anyone know if the new US spec models don't have utility mode anymore?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I'm not sure about the US spec, but I have the Canadian version of the '22 Ultimate and it has to be in "Drive" mode (the little car with the two arrows under it), for it to show up. It's in the infotainment system. I think it's under Settings > Vehicle > Drive Modes (If I remember correctly, I could be wrong.)

electriceddy likes this.
  4. Lorenzo

Lorenzo New Member

Actually, on my Ultimate here in Canada, you need to be parked with the car on, and also with the PARKING BRAKE on... then the Utility mode will appear in the list :)

Kirk and electriceddy like this.
  5. Oh, I didn't know that. Parking break happened to be on when I activated mine. Good to know.

Lorenzo likes this.
  6. On my US 2022 Kona EV I tried Settings > Vehicle > Drive Mode in ACC or Drive with Parking brake on. There is no Utility mode. Looked in the car menu by the speedometer and in all the apps. The system even lets you do a search for a menu item. Couldn't find a Utility mode.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Perhaps Hyundai have revamped ACC to be the new Utility mode? That would make a whole lot of sense.
    All we need is someone with a 2022 to do is measure the 12V battery voltage while in ACC. 14.6-14.7 VDC is what Utility mode would provide.

9. From the manual on my 2022 Ultimate. (Canada)
    20210918_140837.jpg

Wildeyed likes this.
  10. I don't need to have the parking brake on to have access. The moment I enter Utility mode it applies automatically.

John Lumsden and electriceddy like this.
  11. I don't know when in 2021 models began being designated as 2022.

FWIW my Aussie 2021 model (build date April 2021) shows 14.78V in Utility mode and 12.51 in ACC mode.

The park brake applies automatically when Utility mode is selected.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    John Lumsden and electriceddy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I think after around August or Sept each year. The VIN for my Sept 2018 build identifies it as a 2019 model year.

14. Surlycat

Surlycat Member

2022 Kona US here - the setting for utility mode is in the Navigation Menu. I’ll upload a pic later.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

15. Surlycat

Surlycat Member

IMG_3210.JPG IMG_3212.JPG

Navigation Menu - Select EV
    Go to EV Settings (lower right)
    Utility Mode is first option listed

You have to have engine on and be in Park to access the menu.

electriceddy likes this.
  16. That’s exactly how my new one works Surlycat and I use it mostly while waiting in the car. Thanks for clarifying for all recent cars (described as 2022 in some places and Series II where I am). Very handy feature that uses traction battery which has heaps of grunt yay!

eastpole likes this.
  17. Carol Nathan

Carol Nathan New Member

In my 2022 Kona EV utility mode is under Eco vehicle.

Attached Files:

18. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

That's my first look at the 2022 dash cluster. Interesting presentation. Are there different modes/layouts
    that change with drive mode? Maybe should grab the OM and give it a bit of read.

_H*

Carol Nathan likes this.
  19. Layout doesn't change with drive mode.
    My Aussie OM is pretty useless on Utility mode. It tells a lot about what Utility mode does and the interaction between it and the parking brake and other systems, but it doesn't tell you how to get to it in the menu system. On my Kona it is not in the instrument cluster between the dials. I pretty much stumbled on

On the head unit,
    • Setup(button)
    • Home (icon, top left. If just switching on you may have to wait while it sorts out your phone connection)
    • EV
    • EV Settings (gearwheel)

electriceddy likes this.
  20. I see things haven't changed (as far as appropriate) information is disclosed within the OM.
    More or less as it always has been ( with Hyundai manuals), left to the operator to try to figure it out.:rolleyes:

Surlycat and Kirk like this.
  21. Yeah, and the index is pretty useless as well. Much the same with my Mazda BT50 manual. Grrr.

Kirk and electriceddy like this.
  22. Carol Nathan

Carol Nathan New Member

Yes several different modes. Pretty cool!

23. I haven't seen modes in the instrument cluster that change with the drive mode. Changing drive mode changes display colours, yes. But all the info and selections are the same.

Having said that, the info in the centre panel between the dials in the pics @Carol Nathan posted is different from my Aussie April 2021 model. (Highlander trim, the top trim down here.)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021