12v Battery Over Capacity Warning 2022 Kona EV

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Surlycat, Sep 12, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Surlycat

Surlycat Member

After charging my 2022 Kona EV to 80% overnight a few times, I’ve had an alert on the instrument cluster when I turn on the car in the morning: “Unable to charge battery above capacity.”

2 Questions:
    1) Is this normal?
    2) Does the excessive 12 volt charge reach 15 volts and render the 12v port (under the dashboard) useless? I was unable to use my paddleboard electric pump via the 12 volt socket today b/c the pump indicated that it was 15 DC volts coming in, which triggered the auto shut off on the pump.

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Was the Kona in Run or Utility mode when you tried the pump, because it could be at 14.7 V? If so, perhaps try ACC mode, i.e. just press the start button without having your foot on the brake.

It might be a good idea to visit your dealer regarding the warning.

4. Surlycat

Surlycat Member

It was in Run mode. I’ll try the Utility mode. Thx

5. To be clear I'm suggesting ACC, not Utility mode.

Surlycat likes this.
  6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

That got me wondering, since I didn't remember, "hmm, does utility mode drop to that more nominal
    13.8-ish level, like when the car is charging?" ... well, no, it stays up at 14.8+. However, if you need
    a more reasonable 13.8, put the car on charge and go to "ig-on" mode, two presses with no brake.

_H*

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yeah, tested that, it's still at 14.7.

9. Surlycat

Surlycat Member

Here’s a pict IMG_3205.JPG - Can’t find an explanation in the 2022 manual anywhere. What’s it mean?

electriceddy likes this.
  10. Could it simply mean that your max SoC limit setting has been reached or exceeded? It looks more like info rather than a fault.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Wildeyed likes this.
  11. "Your car is plugged in and your pre-set charging limit has been reached so I'm not going to put anymore juice into the battery until you burn some of it off."

Kirk likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I would agree, try setting the limit to 90% and shut it off (the EVSE) at 85% and see if that message "disappears" in the morning.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the message stating " Not charging. Current battery level is lower than set target level" :D

Surlycat likes this.
  14. Surlycat

Surlycat Member

Thx everyone! Noob here and trying not to be a complete dummy.

KiwiME likes this.