2021 Hyundai Kona may have same battery issues as 2019-2020 models

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by livingthecadream, Aug 31, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Not a problem. It was a rhetorical question, which are also hard to get across well on the internet from my part :)
    I actually did check when the battery issue first came up almost a month ago. Thats why I was posting in this thread.
    The 2021 is not supposed to be under any recalls, and is not as far as I know. Thats the reason I got it, and why this is a bit frustrating.
    The tire issues from day 1, this battery issue and the break in damage at the dealer was the icing on the cake.
    Just needed to vent a bit. Its just a downer to have all these unrelated things go wrong all at once with a new car. I'm sure this will get straightened out.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Apologies for miss quoting you. I for one do appreciate the sanity check and fact checking service you provide to the thread.

Danhen likes this.
  4. cwerdna

cwerdna New Member

electriceddy likes this.
  5. livingthecadream

livingthecadream New Member

After the initial two responses from Hyundai within two weeks of the car being towed to the dealership, which included communication from the rep that there was no ETA on a battery/fix and my husband and I saying that if this was going to take more than 30 days to fix (as it is his business vehicle and that is CA lemon law), we have heard nothing from Hyundai. I've tried multiple times and either cannot get into contact with our customer retention POC to leave any message (circular routing that hangs up the call) or do not receive any response from emails sent to him. We are at day 36 now. While they gave us the rental, this is unacceptable customer service, and the value of the car continues to drop while it sits on the lot. My advice is to avoid Hyundai. If you have a serious problem, don't expect a quick or any response.

NS KONA Elec likes this.
  6. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

There's nothing wrong with speculation, especially given sometimes it turns out to be not far from the truth. Let's just make sure it's identified as such.

R P likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

That's simply not true, even if some form you signed when you dropped off your car states they are not responsible. So if you did not have insurance you would have to pay for the damage they caused out of pocket because they did not properly secure your car? They have a duty of reasonable care. Don't take my word for it. A quick call to your attorney will confirm what I'm saying.

Reminds me of a supermarket not far from me with signs claiming they are not responsible for vehicle damage in the parking lot from shopping carts. Just because they put up signs does not mean they are not responsible. They and their legal council know better.

Which dealer is telling you this? We need to share info on bad dealers like this so they can be avoided.

Kirk and Toolworker like this.
  9. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

Any ideas why they would try to break into your car? Most of the time cars at the dealer have absolutely nothing of value in the car. Unless they were trying to actually steal the car, seems pointless.

10. This really doesn't inspire much confidence with this latest e-mail from GM spokesman:
    “In an effort to reduce potential damage to structures and nearby vehicles in the rare event of a potential fire, we recommend parking on the top floor or on an open-air deck and park 50 feet or more away from another vehicle,” Flores said in an email.
    Certainly a recommendation hard to comply with when requiring a charge at most public EVSE (although technically not parking):rolleyes:
    Source:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/15/gm-advising-some-bolt-ev-owners-to-park-50-feet-away-from-other-cars.html

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    NS KONA Elec likes this.
  11. This won't end well....

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Perhaps some good news on my end at least. Got a message on Tuesday that my vehicle (2021 Kona bricked 2 months ago waiting for battery) was at the other dealership (the dealership I purchased couldn't perform the service, no equipment). So, at least I know where it is, a good start. Phoned yesterday to see what the status was, went to voice mail of course and left a message. Oddly enough, I got a call 2 hours later.
    I was informed by the new dealerships service manager that my Kona would be in the bay this afternoon for the battery replacement after they finished up with another one. I asked how many they have done and was told that they did their first Kona battery replacement yesterday and that I would be number 2. Better than being number one I guess.
    According to bluelink, the Kona was parked with the old battery at 1pm. Around 13:30 the Kona was "inactive". At 4pm the Kona was active again, both rear doors open, hood was up and the battery was reading 54% (my bricked battery was 97%)....so....I can only imagine that the battery is partly installed....
    Here is hoping....

14. Thats great news, if you are getting proof of life through bluelink it means the new battery is installed. The only real thing left after they reinstall the main battery disconnect and power up the car is the antifreeze, battery charge top up, bms reflash and perhaps a car wash.

ScubaSteve and NS KONA Elec like this.
  15. Sometimes wishful thinking is not enough, was just advised that my 2021 with 6300ish kms needs a new battery :( The car never bricked itself, always ran just started issuing the EV light; and now we wait!!!
    Wanted to thank you all for the great information that has been posted thus far, I will also continue to update as information trickles in.

16. I can name and shame. Here is the service manager and the image he sent me as justification for not being liable for the damages while on their lot.

John Diez
    Service Manager
    Boucher Hyundai Waukesha
    Genesis of Waukesha
    262-522-1000
    IMG_3422.jpg

17. I assumed this was a joke, but apparently not.

What's the next recommendation? Maybe:

"In an effort to reduce potential injury and property damage, we recommend you refrain from charging your vehicle. Leave it discharged and parked away from structures and other vehicles, but do not block it in as access will be required should we need to repossess it if you stop making your payments."​

This says "You will not be responsible for loss or damage to my vehicles left in my vehicle ..." You didn't leave any vehicles in your vehicle, did you? :)

File a claim with their insurance company. The manager has an interest in keeping you from filing in order to minimize the number of claims filed. The insurance company may just pay it.

navguy12, Shark, ScubaSteve and 3 others like this.
  18. Nice catch Toolworker!

19. That ROTS.
    Does the dealership have the gear already to do the replacement?
    If not, seriously consider getting it transferred to a dealer that does have the equipment. They will be the first to get a replacement battery.
    Keep us posted.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  20. Got the Kona back. No car wash and they didn't charge it up....hopefully they did the rest though.
    Fresh battery (2021/06/12). Check the Canada recall thread for details. Looks like it is the same as the 2022 but would like some thoughts and input on that.

The warranty invoice has something interesting on it. Under Cause, it had "internal short".

The dealership it ended up with had only done one other Kona before and they did it the day before mine. Not necessarily pros, but they are now the one that I will go to for service.

I asked the service guy if there were any limitations on charging etc....He replied "None at all. Drive it like it is advertised."
    I replied..."that is all I ever wanted".

navguy12, BernieNS, Kirk and 4 others like this.
  21. A little better on my end. Called up dealer and asked to talk to the general manager. Within 5 min got a call from the service manager and he said they would take care of the break in damage.
    Now i'm waiting on Hyundai to review my complaint. Just want to get the tire issue fixed and i'll be happy.
    If the battery needs replacing, then so be it, as long as they can get it done quickly.

22. I was told they currently have the crane but not the scissor lift table. I'll give them a few weeks as I drive the hell out of the rental car ;), all I've asked the service manager is to keep me informed, I can deal with inconvenience as long as I'm informed and ultimately taken care of.

Shark and NS KONA Elec like this.
  23. The main thing that hurts me with the rental is gas. Its $3.79 a gallon here for premium right now. ouch.

Kirk likes this.