Charging cables

Discussion in 'Mustang Mach-E' started by SteveEngineer, Sep 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SteveEngineer

SteveEngineer New Member

Thinking seriously of buying a Mustang Mach-e if I can manage to score one after Ford ramps the delivery back up. My question is about the Ford mobile charging adapter that’s included with the car. It clearly comes with interchangeable wall plug cables to support both level 1 and level 2 charging. Plan to drive up to see my family quite a bit and I will need to charge the car at both locations. I have installed 230 volt 50 amp service in garage at home with an electric oven socket which will easily supply the stock 32 amp Ford charger that is included with the car, but the destination only has 230 volt 30 amp service with an arc welder socket in the garage (no neutral) so I would need to charge there a bit slower using only 24 amps (no problem). My question is — does anyone know if a different charging cable is available for the Ford mobile adapter so I can purchase one that I can use with the same Ford mobile charger with the different garage socket and reduced circuit ampacity at the destination if I bring everything that I need to do it with me when I travel?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

I am not aware of an adapter for it. Since you mention you will be visiting the family often, one option depending on existing panel capacity and location would be for you to have a receptacle with 50amp circuit installed and not worry about adapters.

4. To date there are only the two plugs for the Ford mobile evse. In addition the Mustang Mach-E cannot reduce the amp rating on the evse so plugging in to a 30 amp circuits with a NEMA 14-50 adapter would pop the breaker. This easiest solution is to get a 30 amp ( 24 amp actual) evse to keep at the other house. Other wise a 40 amp circuit with the correct wire size (8 gauge for 40 amp, 6 gauge for 50 amp) with a NEMA 14-50 plug is the best option.

5. I agree with Fastnf on this The Mach-E does not need a high end programmable EVSE. The car is the smart side. You can get a adjustable charge station that has dip switches to limit the circuit load like a Grizzle. Mine can be adjusted from 20 to 60 Amps input. It can also be bought with different supply plugs other than the NEMA 14-50.

6. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

240v 16A EVSEs are reasonably priced and available with many adapters. If charging at 12 miles per hour plugged in will work for you.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SteveEngineer

SteveEngineer New Member

9. SteveEngineer

SteveEngineer New Member

These are all very good suggestions. Thanks! I was just trying to save a few bucks — but it looks like the Ford mobile charger as delivered with the MME is pretty limited in its current and plug diet!