Clarity Audio and Infotainment Options and Tricks.

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Dan Albrich, Aug 29, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

This car has quite a few options for audio (and maybe many newer cars do), but still I'd be curious what favorite tricks people do and enjoy while on their road trips with Clarity.

For sources you get AM/FM of course with HD subchannel, CarPlay, Bluetooth, Android Auto, Serius XM (if you subscribe), Pandora, Live sports alert, weather alert. iPod/USB Flash Drive and Voice-control operation includes SBV (songs by voice).

Three years in and I just discovered in FM mode that one can select "stations view" the RDS search of stations for the city I'm in, and of course with digital HD audio, you can several sub-stations; i.e. 92.3-1, and 92.3-2.

For quite awhile I used Serius XM and liked that the car's recorder could replay the current song (back arrow). It appears from the manual that one can also replay FM content (just current selection for 30 or 60 minutes of broadcast).

Anyway, kind of curious how you use these systems (or don't-- i.e. too cumbersome, etc.).

For me since I let XM lapse, it's been HD Radio over the air including now the 'stations' selection on-screen (which if you haven't done, do it-- you have to click the up-carrots when in FM mode to see this), the built in maps sometimes, sometimes Waze via Carplay and coupled with IRadio for streaming radio. I also bought a cheap echo auto (with mixed peformance) for easier voice control of subscribed music content (i.e Amazon Prime or Apple Music). Anyway, the car has a lot of options, nice to hear what you use...

And not really audio (per se) but I love that the car offers to read and respond to my text messages when in bluetooth mode or CarPlay mode.

(FYI I have touring model. I know this effects ability to see built-in maps, but I assume nothing else-- at least audio/infotainment wise).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I have a rooted Android phone, so in addition to AndroidAuto, I use an app called Screen2Auto. There are other similar apps that do the same thing. It allows you to mirror anything playing on your phone to the infotainment system in the Clarity. This includes apps like YouTube, YouTube TV, PLEX, Rumble, etc.

gadgetrants and Dan Albrich like this.
  4. Dan Albrich

Like others too, my use case for Serius XM is greatly diminished by my ability to stream audio content. i.e. iRadio or whatever. It gets me past losing a radio station as I drive if I have a cellular signal. Nothing against satellite radio if you have and use, but it's nice to have a lower-cost option. i.e. some of us are already paying for some form of unlimited data on cellular, so for us, streaming audio is no additional cost. That being said, I sometimes drive a long distance in remote places where satellite would work, and there's no cellular service (think rural, western states).

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Daily short drives: XM or HD radio because of the programming. By the time I'd remember and then pull out my phone in my pants pocket (seat belt removal often required) then decide and find what app I want to access, I'm pretty much at my local destination by then..... but have driven most of the way legally distracted getting there.

Long drives/trips: XM primarily with phone as navigation but stream it too mainly apple itunes radio (no commercials, paid subscription). No radio. No or very limited cell in many locales I visit and use touring nav then.

I cut XM costs by dropping the second subscription for my DD vehicle and using the XM sub for the Clarity to stream XM in my vehicle that has wireless carplay but I mainly just listen to HD radio as my drives are very short. So, I pay for Apple family sharing and one full XM sub plus unlimited data cell plans to cover all vehicles with unlimited commercial free audio.

6. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Active Member

Has anyone been able to connect audio from a laptop or any other device to the clarity audio? I tried bluetooth but honda doesn't sync with non-phone devices and there is no aux input. I bought a bluetooth audio device which doesn't work with honda.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Dan Albrich

It would of been nice to have a 3.5 or 2.5 mm audio connector for "aux" input. I'd be curious if anyone has had success getting an adapter (i.e. via USB or bluetooth-- seems like a long shot though). I've never owned any car/truck with aux input unfortunately...

9. What kind of audio are you wanting connect to the Clarity infotainment system? I can't imagine anything that couldn't also be ported over through a phone without a problem. I'm speaking only from my experience with Android phones.

10. zman0900

zman0900 New Member

Anyone found a way to get more presets? I use them all for Sirius stations, but could use a couple more plus some for FM.

11. Dan Albrich

The OP mentioned trying to connect a laptop to the car's audio as the specific application. I sometimes travel with my wife and she goes into a shop and I choose to wait for her in the car, so I could see how that could be useful. I don't think it's a big deal that we don't have aux port, but getting the audio from a laptop to the car was the stated scenario.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. What I'm referring to is the media. Are we talking mp3? flac? mkv? Whatever it is that the OP is listening to on a laptop, there is an analagous app on your phone that can play that media file.

14. Dan Albrich

Well, in that event I'd agree, it's easy to move the audio file (less so on an iOS device). But I use my laptop in the car to watch streaming video/audio -- obviously not while driving. But yeah, if you watch netflix or disney plus or whatever, it might be nice to use the car's speakers. Anyway, that's what I thought the OP meant. If just audio files, one can place on a USB thumb drive, and attach to the car directly.

15. dnb

dnb Active Member

Kids in the backseat watching video on laptop using car audio vs laptop audio during roadtrips.

16. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

I think all the Honda radios have separate presets for each band (AM,FM and satellite). You can't add more, but filling up the presets on one band shouldn't encroach on the number available in each of the others.

17. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Boy some of you guys are cheap. Basic Sirius is only about $6 a moth and well worth it to me. You do get those little no signal spots but its less annoying than the long no-cellular drives.

18. Dan Albrich

I find all the companies that make you renegotiate pricing at regular intervals obnoxious. Things like Sirius and Cable. One can get the $5/mo deal but as you note really costs $6/mo with fees, but then every 12 months you have to remember to call or be put on their default rate which is higher (I think its like $21 per month). You have to say you're quitting like 3 times to get the $6/mo rate. Then, when you've decided no amount of money is worth the BS, these people email, call you and snail mail you over and over again. No thanks.

19. Johngalt6146

Johngalt6146 Active Member

Exactly! I'm at that point now. Bye Bye

20. Johngalt6146

Johngalt6146 Active Member

Have you looked at FM adapters? They take the audio signal and put it on a vacant FM channel. You can find them on Amazon.

21. pigrew

pigrew Member

22. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

XM sub on the Ody, and I stream XM via the app. At $5 a month (including streaming and All Access for the last few years) can't beat that.

23. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

SiriusXM for $6? Only if you want to spend 30 mins on the phone arguing with their reps. Thanks, but I'll stick to my Spotify which works everywhere I want it to.