30,000+ miles in 4 months

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David in TN, Sep 6, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

4 months ago I took a job as a courier. When I started, I was at 31,xxx miles. I'm now at 63,xxx miles. 7,500-8,000 miles a month.

Here's some things that I have learned:
    - run on battery until below 80% State Of Charge (STC.) I have a ScanGauge II which shows STC on it. Then, I switch to HV mode until I'm heading home.
    - At each restart of my car (maybe 2-3 times a day?) it will drop another 5% (or so...) STC while getting stabilized in HV-mode.
    - The car will automatically kick out of EV mode when ~10% STC.
    - I drive the last miles home each day using my battery until below 10%, then fully charge overnight with the factory charger on 240-volts. Takes about 5.25 hours on average.
    - including the battery, I'm averaging 53.4 mpg.
    - Most of my driving is Interstate. Speed Limit showing 70 mph. I typically at 5 mph to the posted limit. There is a fair amount of country backroads at 45-65 mph.
    - if I keep doing this, I will need to add some auxiliary lighting for night-time operations (lights are "ok" after adjusting them, just lacking in intensity for what I need - country backroads.)
    - I'm averaging $125/week in gasoline (~ $2.99/gallon here at this time.)
    - other couriers are very jealous of my car and gas mileage!!
    - I'm typically asked a couple of times a week about my car by those I'm delivering to.
    - LKAS is great for eating while driving.
    - ACC w/LSF is great for stop-and-go traffic, even if it isn't the smoothest software in use.
    - Android Auto is a wonderful feature with Google Maps. (I do have a Garmin hooked up as a backup for when I end up in areas without cell service.) Did I mention that I have the base model?
    - Google Maps isn't always right and doesn't always show all addresses. Besides Garmin, MapQuest is another excellent backup.
    - the generator has smoothed. Therefore, I now only hear "angry bees" when the rpm is above 4000. When it was newer, it would be around 3000 rpm.
    - I run in "normal" mode except when merging. Then I use Sport mode. I seldom use Econ as it causes the cruise control and HVAC to be less responsive.

This car continues to be a joy to drive and operate.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. descolado

descolado Member

Awesome post... Not a courier but I've averaged about 25k mi/year.

I've only seen one Uber driver in a Clarity in my years of ownership. I've always been surprised in the fact that the clarity didn't gain more popularity as a fleet vehicle.

Daniel M W likes this.
  4. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I must be at the opposite end of the spectrum. '18 Clarity purchased in March of 2019. Has 12,000 miles on the odo. :)

5. KClark

KClark Active Member

The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power has a few Clarities, I’ve seen them in the San Fernando Valley with their department logo on the doors.