Level 1 Charger - does it work on 240v?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Fidzio, Mar 21, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The adapter from HD that you linked above, has a 6-15/20r on one end. The OEM cable has a 5-15p. How are they compatible without another adapter?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. NorCalPete

NorCalPete Active Member

I used a small tent. The largest gear was an old Coleman convertible ice chest that just fit into the trunk. (Second largest was my golf clubs on floor behind the front seats. ️) Regarding route (Chico CA start point), mostly I80 to I90 to Batavia, NY. Then to Baltimore, MD. Then mostly I70 to I80 and back home.

4. Daniel Sandoval

Daniel Sandoval New Member

Your picture is a NEMA 5-20R outlet. It must not be wired to anything other than 120VAC. You can plug a Level-1 charger into it. Hopefully, it is connected as a home-run back to the circuit breaker box with no other outlets or devices on that branch circuit. This kind of outlet requires 12AWG or heavier wire. You can safely pull up to 16A out of it.

If it is a home-run, you can convert it to a NEMA 6-20R, which is a 240V, 20A outlet. This will require replacing your single circuit breaker with a double (2-pole) 20A breaker. The ground wire will stay where it is, but you must remove the white wire from the Neutral bus bar, wrap it with Red tape, and connect it to one of the circuit breaker poles. The existing black wire would go to the other pole. At the outlet box, the white wire again must be wrapped with Red tape.

In such a setup, you can safely pull up to 3.84kW, (16A) based on 80% de-rating. For the Clarity 17kWh battery, your theoretical maximum charge rate would be 10.6 miles per hour. To charge faster than that, you'd need heavier cable than 12AWG, which was probably not used in your setup.

5. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

So in the end the answer to the OP is: yes, the Clarity OEM cord works on 240v. Usual disclaimers apply.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Daniel Sandoval

Daniel Sandoval New Member

No worries. I have an excellent lawyer!

8. I read it in order. In the top quote, what is “it”? The OEM cable, or an adapter? Your response was to a question about the HD adapter connecting to the “stock EVSE cable”. Read it carefully.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  9. The OEM cable will only charge at 12A when jury rigged to a 240V source. No need to concern oneself over charging at 16A. The OEM cable is built with 14ga wire, so 12ga upstream is sufficient, if one chooses to go that route.

This all seems like a bunch of Richarding around for a half-cocked solution. If you have access to a 14-50, just buck up and buy a 240V/32A cable.