Alarm System

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by NextEv, Sep 5, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. NextEv

NextEv Member

For Signature and Signature+ trims there is a $500 Alarm System option. I thought almost all cars sold come with an alarm system standard these days. Not for Mini SE in these trims? Or, is it that this option adds additional safety features (the Mini website has no description of this option)?

Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I think the alarm is one of the more important things on a car, especialy a new one. In the UK, alarms are fitted as standard to all new cars, and have been for years. Try and insure your car without an alarm, and they'd have a field day with the prices.
    Why they can't fit them as standard over there also, and just add the cost onto the vehicle price like they do over here? It certainly gives you piece of mind, considering there's people out there who like driving around in other peoples cars... without asking them? Can you believe that? :)

NextEv likes this.
  4. NextEv

NextEv Member

I agree that it should be standard and not an option to buy.

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Alarm wasn't even an available option for the 2020/2021 SEs when I ordered mine in the early days. I know this is a personal opinion, but I've never had, nor wanted, a car alarm. Making a noise on the street means little to anyone these days. The SE's NFC key fob makes it hard to take for a joyride, and with the SE you can enable GPS and know where your car is at all times.

Texas22Step and polyphonic like this.
  6. NextEv

NextEv Member

Is that also an option to buy, a particular trim configuration or the standard setting?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Ditto. Alarms don't do anything except annoy your neighbors.

Texas22Step likes this.
  9. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

TBH, I've been blasted by my other car's alarm systems so many times. I was actually glad to hear my SE didn't have one.

NextEv likes this.
  10. NextEv

NextEv Member

There is an insurance discount for it though.

11. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Good point! And btw, my experience may be entirely regional. I don't live in a major city either.

Texas22Step and NextEv like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. NextEv

NextEv Member

I suppose all the sensors for the alarm are installed on all Mini's and the $500 is for the software flag to turn it on (maybe)?

14. NextEv

NextEv Member

Honestly, when I saw the $500 alarm system option I thought it might be something special and in addition to the standard alarm system that the car already has, like calling cops if the car is compromised or something ;)

15. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

I think the alarm adds an acoustic sensor (microphone) to the interior to detect glass breakage and a motion sensor to detect jacking/tow away/stripping along with the control module and software. If the SE doesn't come standard with a hood open sensor, thats also probably included. Dunno what a deterrent a screaming alarm and flashing lights are, but some disable the car so it can't be driven and calls home. If a perp wants the car, they will take it regardless. Otherwise that are just looking for easy targets or swiping a component or wheels.

Texas22Step and NextEv like this.
  16. NextEv

NextEv Member

Can't the thief disable the GPS then?

17. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

If Mini did their job, you can’t disable the GPS. Thieves can move them into places like partaking garages that don’t get signals though. But really it is just a race to see how quickly the owner notices the car is missing and how quickly they can strip the car. Tesla likes to point to its record of recovering 99% of stolen cars, but they don’t talk about how much damage was done to the car.

NextEv likes this.
  18. sorry being a bit slow with this but... if you don't select the $500 option.. there's literally no honking of the horn or any theft deterrence at all? Mini App doesn't alert you or anything?

NextEv likes this.
  19. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Not sure how desirable the SE is for stealing. Short range for an EV and not a whole lot to part out. Joyriding is probably the biggest risk, and those perpetrators are typically a far cry from a professional chop shop.

Texas22Step and Novadar like this.
  20. Novadar

Novadar Active Member

I think only the Leaf could potentially be a less desirable theft target.

21. NextEv

NextEv Member

Do the thieves know about the range of EVs?

Akanaten likes this.
  22. I have the alarm, but have also fit these window stickers to all the Mini's I've had. (There only about 100 x 35mm) What the thieves don't know, we don't worry about. Anything that makes them think. They're transparent too, so nice and subtle.
    upload_2021-9-7_14-55-7.jpeg

23. Novadar

Novadar Active Member

If not they'd be in a super world of hurt when it.just.stops. LOL

polyphonic, Akanaten and NextEv like this.