2022 SE missing rear parking sensors

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by bmartinez028, May 21, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

For my 2021 Iconic SE, the decoder listed both:
    • S508 - Park Distance Control (PDC)
    • S5DP - Park Assist
    I suspect that S508 is the PDC package with both front and rear sensors. While trying to verify that suspicion I found this Bimmerfest forum thread about retrofitting Park Distance Control. Some programming is required.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

Sort of your call on what to do at this point. I would call your salesperson tomorrow and let them know that you will either accept the $500 discount (if that is what you want) or that you will cancel your order and submit a new order for the same vehicle and will continue to do that until you get one with the sensors installed. The government isn't going to do anything as it isn't a mandatory safety feature.

Novadar likes this.
  4. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

I've had my SE for a month and a half now, and haven't really found the Park Distance Control (rear sensors) very useful yet. Anything that's in the way I can see with the camera, and all the warnings are a bit annoying when I can already see that there's something there. So I wouldn't worry about it if you can get some kind of compensation. What I'm not sure of is, would the sensors pick up something that is not visible in the backup camera? If so, that would be useful, but I haven't had that situation happen yet.

Godfrey likes this.
  5. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

The only time I find it useful in our Clubman is when parallel parking, but otherwise it's kind of annoying.

6. insightman

I need the parking sensors when the "Never solely trust the rearview camera" message is blocking the rearview camera.

I know I'm close enough for the charging cable to reach my SE when the garage-door window disappears from the top of the rearview screen--or when the beeping from the PDC speeds up. The message blocks my ability to see if the garage-door window is in view, so the PDC works for me.

Novadar likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

That's one of the annoyances that's easy to fix with Bimmercode! No dumb legal warnings pop up on my car

insightman and Novadar like this.
  9. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. While I can cancel, and reorder, or just buy something else, those that have the car, and expected a feature to be there that isn't have a case. Those with cars missing 507 relied on what BMW published, etc. They paid for something that BMW removed without warning, and still has advertised as part of the package. That's something state AGs often go after, and successfully get penalties.

Should a few who have the cars, and let's call a spade a shovel, got ripped off, should elevate the issue.

10. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

11. jimmm18

jimmm18 Active Member

Hello all. I am resurrecting this thread because i may have a different but related issue.

i just picked up my 2022 SE signature trim with no additional options except roof rails on Sunday, the 9th. Built in late November.

My SE definitely has rear parking sensors. I know because I just looked and they are there and my garage opening is very tight and the PDC makes a racket when backing up. It is not the rear backup warning sensor.

Now according to the manual, there should be a toggle next to the brake regeneration setting toggle to turn them off and on. Mine is not there. Am i missing something?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

The toggle next to the regenerative braking switch is for the park assist feature, essentially allowing the car full control of steering to get you into a parking space. I think you’d have to go through the iDrive system to switch off the sensors if you don’t have park assist and don’t want to use the PDC feature.

Lainey and jimmm18 like this.
  14. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

It seems, for model year 2022 SEs, PDC is automatically activated when R is engaged. Doesn't seem to be anyway to disable it short of using bimmercode.

jimmm18 likes this.
  15. jimmm18

jimmm18 Active Member

UOTE="ColdCase, post: 157276, member: 29952"]It seems, for model year 2022 SEs, PDC is automatically activated when R is engaged. Doesn't seem to be anyway to disable it short of using bimmercode.[/QUOTE]

That seems to be what I found. Guess I will be investing in an obc and bimmercode.

16. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

It took a month to train my brain to ignore the warning tones (it was desensitized after awhile I guess).

jimmm18 likes this.
  17. jimmm18

jimmm18 Active Member

we will see how that goes ;-)

18. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

In case you’ve not seen this, you can adjust the volume of the warning tones in iDrive. I don’t know if you can turn the sound down all the way but it might be worth a shot?

My Mini>System Settings>Tone>Volume Sertings>PDC

19. jimmm18

jimmm18 Active Member

Got it as low as it will go. Still too loud

20. I picked up my Mini (Electric /Island Blue) right before Christmas, it was supposed to have the Driver Assistance package for $750, but it was missing. We wanted it for the adaptive cruise control more than parking. They told me that no-one was getting this along the BMW/Mini/RR line. Disappointing since we didn’t find this out until delivery.

wessy likes this.
  21. insightman

It sounds like you expect to be driving your SE on the e-way much of the time. At least you got all the good things the SE has to offer for driving off the e-way.

I'm surprised they would do that to Rolls Royce customers, too. I wonder how many RR customers were OK with that and accepted their cars without the package?

22. Which status are you on that you are now able to find out exactly what was built into the car and what was missing? Did you just have to provide the VIN to BMW iconcierge?

Would be really helpful to know the specs before it arrives at the dealership

23. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

This is going to be fun and games when buying a new car from this period as used in future...

GvilleGuy and SpeedyRS like this.