Battery Replacements for 2020s

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by KonaScot, Aug 30, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

Dealer tried to tell me today that only 2019, not 2020 Kona EVs (like mine), are getting battery replacements (we'd been told in mid-August that we'd been approved for a battery replacement on a 2020). Today, I'm told none for 2020s but no answer as to why the change in status.

Have others had battery replacements for 2020s?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Did you check the recalls for your VIN? I thought it said that 2019 will have replacements after being checked again but they don't have a resolution for 2020's yet. But that was a couple months ago that I saw that.

4. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

Well, in the spring/early summer our VIN was listed as being among the recalls; in July when we brought the car in for the dealer check of the VIN and all to get Company approval for battery replacement, the VIN was covered. Has the affected VIN list changed since mid-July?

5. Don't believe your dealer. Don't believe the Hyundai hotline operators. Don't believe rumors on these forums. Nobody knows anything. Believe only when you drive away with a new battery. (And a little scepticism even then might be in order!)

XtsKonaTrooper and navguy12 like this.
  6. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

That's why I'm going to cross-question the service guy, if he'll ever call me back. It would be nice to know if any 2020s are getting new batteries.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Hi, I just had an email about getting my battery checked, then possibly replaced. Mine is 2019, I did note my email mentioned 2020 cars up to March only.

9. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

The report from my service manager as of this afternoon: Hyundai USA has changed the rules since the Campaign 200 was in effect, and that happened since we went in mid-July to have the VIN checked and were authorized thereafter for a new battery on our 2020. We were in fact authorized for a new battery under Campaign 200, so the advice we got in mid-August that a battery replacement was authorized was correct. The service manager confirmed this looking at our VIN while on the telephone. The statement from the service department 2 days ago that we weren't going to get a new battery (at some point) was wrong.

H-USA is now prioritizing the 2019s (which they weren't before). The 2020s not yet done will need to wait for an indeterminant period. There is now a Campaign 200*x* applicable to the 2019s for getting their replacements. The service manager agreed with me that some 2020s likely did get a replacement battery around the country before H-USA changed the rules to prioritize 2019s to the current exclusion of 2020s.

He also said the rules might change again at any time.

navguy12 and Wildeyed like this.
  10. Kaveman66

Kaveman66 New Member

I received that same message. We had all of our pre-replacement services done for our 2020 Kona in July, the P29, software update, and a check whether our battery needed to be replaced (it did). I called this week asking about when we would be able to schedule the replacement and they told me Hyundai is prioritizing the impacted 2019s and doing those first, then they would schedule the 2020s. No certainty or idea of timeline provided (I didn't expect one given past precedent haha).

I then asked him if they had actually performed any replaement on 2019 Kona's and he said they had done several. Then he gave the standard stiff arm, telling us our car is in the system and we will be notified when they are ready to schedule the appointment. So I have to take a little solace in the fact that the process has started, but until I meet or hear from someone who actually had the replacement performed and they are clear and back to 100%, I remain skeptical and frustrated that I could be sitting here 6 months from now in the same boat, watching, waiting.

Also not so sure I want to have them replace with another LG battery given recent Bolt fires and what seems to be a pervasive manufacturing issue at multiple locations and car manufacturers. Is there any information on the replacement battery they are installing and are they planning to go with the SKI, like in the 2022 EVs?

11. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Since LG is apparently paying 70% of the recall costs, it has to be LG batteries. Hyundai is not going to pay 100% of recall by installing batteries from another manufacturer

navguy12 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

I guess if LG missed the ball on the batteries and GM blows it wide open and these new replacement batteries are flawed and then needs to be replaced again , then Hyundai has mud on their face and they've put ppl at risk, again, even its minimal.
    As much as I like the Kona , my confidence level is pretty low. Imo, if Hyundai was really smart, if they wrote these off, they would be better off because a majority of the ppl might stick with Hyundai. If they end up pissing off the customers , there next ev won't be a Hyundai.
    I've noticed that Americans who got their buyback money, most of them were not buying a Hyundai ev again.
    I'm only keeping mine because the wife likes it and selling it or trading it, is throwing money in the garbage. But my next car is going to be the BMW i4.
    In doing this I can easily keep the Kona under 160,000km by 8yrs and if that battery fails Hyundai is on the hook.

electriceddy likes this.
  14. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I JUST received notification that the "REMEDY IS AVAILABLE" for my 2020 KONA Ultimate. I am scheduled to take car to the Service Center (SF BAY AREA) next Wed, the 29th. The Recall says "BATT ASSY.INS, REP & S/W UPD(21-01-046H-1)"

I REALLY hope this isn't just a Inspect & s/w update, but actually the BATTERY gets replaced !! If not, I will always have that fear in my head of burning down the house while charging.

15. Shark

Shark Active Member

Are you saying the 2022's do not have LG batteries?

16. Kaveman66

Kaveman66 New Member

From what I've read (take that at face value), Hyundai is trying to move away from LG. Unlike GM, which made massive future financial commitments/construction of facilitates. The Ioniq, for example, will have an SKI battery. Not sure about all vehicles, including the Kona.

17. XtsKonaTrooper

Has anyone confirmed what battery is in the 2022?

18. Kaveman66

Kaveman66 New Member

We just received an alert through Bluelink stating the remedy for our 2020 Kona was available and to contact our dealer to schedule an appointment to begin the repair process. Well we actually began the process over the summer, so no points for that.

I called the dealer to schedule and I asked if this was the actual replacement, since we already had previous appointments for software, etc. He said this was a 2 hour appointment to just take pictures of the battery assembly and send to Hyundai so they can order and send the replacement battery. He did mention the replacement would be an LG.

I also asked what the time frame would be from this appointment until the battery actually arrives and we can schedule the final replacement, and he said 1-2 months, since it's coming from the factory in Korea.

Seems like more corporate stiff arming to me. Why couldn't they take picture when they had the car and ran the check back in July to determine if our battery was good or needed to be replaced? I have a feeling we will be here two months from now and get another notice.

navguy12 likes this.
  19. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Fairly certain your claim the '22 Kona has an SK battery is not accurate. The 3 '22 owners I know each received LG batteries.

I would be curious where you read Hyundai is trying to move away from LG. Sounds like speculation based on all the bad press LG is currently getting. Sure with all the bad press, at this point Hyundai likely wishes they could make a phone call canceling the LG orders and have SK start sending over batteries. But one would assume LG has long term contracts with Hyundai. I don't see how they could be short term contracts given the investment LG would have needed to develop facilities to produce them. And it's not likely at this point SK has the production capacity needed to start supplying Kona batteries on short notice.

You also mentioned Hyundai did not make GM's "massive future financial commitments/construction of facilities". You sure about that? Can you elaborate?

navguy12 and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  20. Kaveman66

Kaveman66 New Member

I never meant to state for certain the 22 Kona EV specifically would be SKI, however, the 22 Ioniq will be SKI and possibly some of their other new EVs in the future, so maybe that part of my initial post was clumsy. Apologies for that.

Here is the article regarding Hyundai and SKI.

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/02/25/hyundai-to-replace-kona-batteries-will-use-ski-batteries-for-ioniq-5/

I'm, not pretending to be an authority, I said take it at face value. I'm sure there is a lot of misinformation out there, one article may contradict the other. But the fact they announced in Feb that their next big EV release the Ioniq will have SKI and not LG, should at least suggest they are looking at alternatives for their batteries. That's all.

21. All current production Kona's appear to have only LGs batteries. As far as new models like Ionic 5, Hyundai has already made announcements that SK and CATL will be the battery suppliers. This will affect all of the future E-GMP platform models. If there is a 2023 Kona EV I suppose its possible there may or may not be a complete divorce and SK will supply as it already is for the newer European built Kona's. This is speculation of course.

Based on the relative corporate headache for Hyundai I suspect that there is a good chance Kona EV may be completely removed from their North American lineup like it was in Korea.

NS KONA Elec and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  22. NS KONA Elec and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  23. XtsKonaTrooper

Looks like CATL, is gonna be pretty busy.
    https://www.electrive.com/2021/09/06/bmw-places-battery-cell-order-worth-e8-billion/

NS KONA Elec likes this.