Said Good-bye to the Clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by SThomas219, Aug 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

Dropped my 2018 Clarity off at the Honda dealership today a couple of months early (lease was to end in late October). It served its purpose very well. I was able to determine from driving it mostly in EV mode for daily commuting I could transition to a full EV which I did (see avatar).

I would like to say the Clarity was the smoothest driving car I ever owned/leased. Someone is going to get a great deal as it only has 24K on it since a lot of my driving was curtailed the last 18 months due to the pandemic.

Once I clean them up, I'll have a set of TuxMats available if anyone is interested. Including the trunk cover.

Silver Surfer and Mark W like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

I'm still a bit torn as to what to do. I'm at about 46,000 and like you I have been driving much less the last 18 months. I intended on keeping this car and passing it down to my son when he started driving in another 2 years but not so sure what to do now. I am a shade tree mechanic so knowing now I would be at the mercy of the dealer for most future repairs is concerning

4. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

Sadly I moved on too. Loved my 19 Clarity. Amazing in everyway.
    Traded it and an 04 Highlander in for a 21 Rav4 Prime. Stealer gave me 19k for Clarity and saw it sold for 24k. Only 22k miles. Many of us bought our Clarities for 6 to 8 k off msrp, and the took 7500 tax credit and other rebates. So about broke even
    So far the Rav4 Prime is standing up to the quality of the Honda plus I have the SUV needed.
    Thanks to all gere for the tips and tricks. Never read the manual!

Remarksman and Mark W like this.
  5. I hate to break it to you, but, you’ll be at the mercy of the dealer if you own just about any vehicle that isn’t at least 10-15 years old. Figure $140-175/hr plus ridiculously expensive parts.

BrianRC likes this.
  6. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

We will agree to disagree (outside of EVs/hybrids). I own a 2015 Silverado and there is near nothing on that truck that can't be replaced using aftermarket parts (by myself or independent mechanic). Brakes shocks exhaust you name it.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Certainly with that skill set you could replace a number of parts on a Clarity as well.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

With you being an experienced PHEV driver, I'm wondering how much EV range are you getting from your RAV4 Prime during these summer months? How far did your Clarity's battery typically take you? Thanks.

10. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

Range. Part of reason I sold clarity.
    Almost never did full ev range show more than 40. I took it in to dealer and they just shrugged and said , "no errors". And said they couldn't test. I was going to try a OBD tester but just too complicated.
    I rationalized that the guess o meter went by last mile driven and I live up a steep hill to charge at home.
    RAV4 prime has been showing EV 45 miles after charge. It shows I average 2.7 mi
    les per kwh. 18.1 battery capacity. Makes sense. Wish Honda had done that.
    Price and value, Clarity #1.
    I tried to buy a 21 but they wanted msrp now. And since discontinued will either become classics or ???

insightman likes this.
  11. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

Greetings from another Upstate NY driver! I purchased a Clarity about 6 months ago. I love my ride. It’s been great this summer for short commuting and also for a few longer distance trips. The Clarity is my first foray into the electric vehicle movement. So far it hasn’t disappointed me at all. I am hopeful that my next purchase will be a full fledged EV.

insightman likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.