Long-Term Parts Availability

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Pooky, Aug 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

A while ago, when Honda announced that the Clarity was being discontinued, I emailed Honda support querying them about what Honda's corporate policy is for parts availability for discontinued models. Their response is attached below.

upload_2021-8-19_11-39-34.png

Not that I am surprised by their response, but it does help to maintain a certain peace of mind that Honda will continue to at least manufacture first-party parts for the Clarity—even if they are almost always out of stock.

Cheers

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

In 2019, Honda couldn't supply a shift linkage for my 2006 Insight. Fortunately, I found a good one on eBay from an auto recycler. Before that, I learned from someone in Japan that they couldn't find a headlight nacelle in either country. Honda built fewer than 15,000 gen-1 Insights, but that is no excuse for a major automotive manufacturer not to maintain a parts inventory for at least 15 years after production ceases.

4. West1

West1 Member

It's a Honda. Rarely do you need a replacement part.

5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

To some degree the problem is compounded by the fact that these are unlikely to sit in a junkyard for any period of time, so the ones that are salvaged and taken off the road may not provide parts in the same way a 'normal' vehicle would

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I needed an unavailable shift linkage because the cables froze up. Some Hondas need replacement parts after an accident.

turtleturtle likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Auto manufacturers are required by US Federal Law to have parts available for any models they sold for the period of 10 years. At least I read that here: https://askinglot.com/how-long-do-auto-manufacturers-have-to-make-parts

They probably have to make more than they need to be sure they last 10 years and then keep selling them for as long beyond that as it makes business sense.

9. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

No, that is a misconception, and your own link states the same. The time that an auto manufacturer is required to supply replacements parts has to do with the length of their warranties, not a set number like 10 years.

Cheers

10. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Jeez I can't believe I misread that. Getting old is no picnic.

Robert_Alabama likes this.
  11. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

Yeah, but it beats the alternative.
    Gene 2020 Honda Clarity
    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Inside EVs mobile app

David Towle likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. It’s good to know that Service Manager and the Parts Manager are in the best position to confirm the decisions made by Honda corporate team members.

Go team!

E10 and Robert_Alabama like this.