US IONIQ 5 Insider Reservations Closed

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by GaryClark, Aug 14, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    I noticed "Reserve Now" changed to "Configure Now" and if you scroll down you'll see text that reads " IONIQ 5 Insider Reservations Closed " just under the three trim levels displayed. I was considering making a few reservations but my one will have to do. If you are in AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, IL, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, TX, VT, VA, and WA you alone are tasked with saving the planet with Hyundai's help. As for me I can order a or a or a Jelly Bean (Model 3), Peanut (Model Y), Almond (Model Y) or Walnut (Model X). The other 38 states have been excused from this wide spread adoption. Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 10.39.49 PM.png

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. EV_Chris

EV_Chris New Member

Interesting. What do you think? Is it that they are close to releasing the car, or they have trouble with the reservation system, or some other indication?

4. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    I believe they think that they have reached their estimated adoption rate quantity that is greater than the quantity that will be imported. They can go over in reservations by tens of thousands because of the low adoption rate and the liberty they granted themselves to guarantee nothing with the reservation. The reservation serves as a way to, hopefully, be communicated with about availability for the consumer. For Hyundai it’s was a barometer to distribute the correct quantities of this limited product and a sales lead for dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    Unfortunately the emojis didn’t translate and it should have read …order a Leaf or a Bolt or a jelly bean… There are EV’s that can be purchased outside of the ZEV states but besides the uniform design language of current Tesla’s I was hinting at there are only two others I see readily being market in my state. Seem IONIQ 5 (though on their marketing page said would include NC & GA) appears to be forbidden fruit. I hope I’m pleasantly surprised they honor their word and finally kick off wife spread BEV adoption. The Santa Fe limited state availability isn’t a great sign. They (Hyundai/KIA) are killing it with design and so I guess there were greater offsets needed. I’m not sure but I was concerned acquiring one from one of the states they are selling in would make me a spoiler of their ZEV credit needed.

6. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Well not all of the states listed are ZEV states. So feel free to buy one in TX, FL, IL, ,VA, or AZ.

I'm a bit surprised, that you can't buy and VW ID4.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    May have missed the iD4. With “Insider Reservations Closed” I’m not sure if buying one this late is possible. You can become an “insider” on the web page which has had extremely limited communications and benefits to this point. I have brothers in VA & Fl which is where I was going to reserve next and, if I knew then what I know now, would have been a three state reservation holder(s) from the jump. Being a NC Insider Reservation Holder from launch day and six bucks will get me a drink at Starbucks. Hopefully a whole lot more if they keep their spoken word (at 22:26)

and written word in the media center. ( https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/models/hyundai-ioniq_5-2022-ioniq_5#_ednref1 )

9. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

If you live in North Carolina, you have Volvo, Audi, and Porsche too.

It's a bit surprising that the Ford Mustang isn't available.

10. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    Love Taycan but rather have the Cross Turismo with color matched cladding if they ever offered it and I win the lottery. The current Audi e-Tron will be a deal when the EV platform is unveiled. I don’t trust the Mach-E battery. Hard to say if Ford is overly protecting it with battery management or if it’s some kind of thermal throttling going on but I trust Ford to be protecting what must be. Volvo I can’t speak to their BEV but the Polestar II isn’t appealing if I were that target audience. I found NC numbers but they don’t call out the models but I suspect the majority are Tesla’s.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  11. Electra

Electra Active Member

Which one is the Model S? You have 2 Ys.

GaryClark likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    The S is the almond. The best looking of the lot.

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

My wife loves our BEV, the least expensive BEV for sale in the US (available in all 50 states and Canada), but based on your list, it appears the MINI Cooper SE wouldn't meet your requirements. However, even though it's the least expensive, you can't buy a BEV that's more fun to drive.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    Texas22Step and GaryClark like this.
  15. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    I like the MINI and it would be a two car family fit. We are a one car family though, as I have a work vehicle, so our one personal car mush be a good allrounder.

insightman likes this.