Nissan Ariya details examined

Discussion in 'Ariya' started by Domenick, Jul 21, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. If you wanted to learn more about the interior and exterior details that may have been brushed over during the debut of the Nissan Ariya, you're in luck.

Bjorn Nyland just put out a video zooming in on the official photos and finding all kinds of neat details. If you're at all interested in this vehicle, it's well worth your time to spend the 20 minutes or so.

One question he raises but doesn't resolve involves the charge ports. The Japanese version will have a charge port on both front fenders, the passenger side for CHAdeMO and the driver side will feature J1772. In Europe and North America, I understand that only the driver's side will have a charge port.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DJP

DJP Active Member

Thanks, Domenick! This video really fills out the information on the Ariya. Lots of interesting details on all aspects of the car which weren't covered by others.

Domenick likes this.
  4. Yeah, I was surprised by the number of things he found. There were even shots that I hadn't seen before, like the one that showed the floor between the driver and passenger's seat. I had read that space was flat, which had me worried because you don't want objects to slide from the passenger's side to the driver's and maybe get underneath the brake pedal or whatever. There is a small bump on the floor between the front seats, so that's better than nothing, but as Bjorn mentions, a divider there would be reassuring.

5. Kellie Teter

Kellie Teter New Member

I like the looks of the Ariya and of the Ionic 5. But which one will get me up I70 and around in the mountains (from Denver) in the dark/snow/cold.. Something my Leaf cannot do.

TonyInGA likes this.
  6. pucksave

pucksave Member

Whichever model comes with a heat pump.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kellie Teter

Kellie Teter New Member

Does a heat pump improve the ability of the car to store energy in cold weather and to take on steep climbs with accessories running?

9. pucksave

pucksave Member

Yes, a heat pump uses existing heat to warm the car while using far less energy that generating direct from battery

10. Kellie Teter

Kellie Teter New Member

And is this warming of the car just apply to the cabin for comfort or does it somehow allow the battery to be more efficient in accumulating retaining or distributing energy.

11. pucksave

pucksave Member

I believe that in taking some heat from the battery, it extends the life

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Hi, Kellie!
    Either should be able to do the job for you, with 250 miles or so of range for the all-wheel-drive versions and around 300 miles for the two-wheel-drive versions. If you'd like to share more specifically the route you'd like to regularly travel, I can double check it on the map and also consult an EV-expert friend who lives in Colorado and who may be familiar with that area.
    Regarding heat pumps, these are one way of getting heat to the cabin area and are more efficient than the resistive heaters some EVs have used in the past.

14. Kellie Teter

Kellie Teter New Member

That is an amazing offer. Straight up i-70 west from Denver to silverthorne and then silverthorne to kremmling and kremmling to steamboat. An electric car will pull those hills easily at the speed limit of 65-75 but the first stretch up Floyd Hill then to the Eisenhower tunnel is all uphill no chance to regen. And when I'm charging cars in my garage at home and it's 20°, I have had trouble having enough power to get to the top of the hill so I can benefit from the region and are charging.

Domenick likes this.
  15. Kellie Teter

Kellie Teter New Member

Sorry, benefit from regeneration going downhill or access charging.

16. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    It’s like Nissan built a EV that will cover most of the bases unless you’re a road warrior and constantly putting hundreds of miles on every single day with even longer sessions at times. For that you need a charge king. Although the AC Charging on this covers all the bases for a busy weekend constant quick charge as needed, it certainly won’t shorten a 10 hour journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

TonyInGA likes this.
  17. Kellie Teter

Kellie Teter New Member

My journey is only 3.5 hours actually.... It's the uphill grade that I'm worried about.

18. That's about 157 miles one way, so the VW ID. 4 or Hyundai Ioniq 5 can do this no problem at the speed limit. Driving above 70 mph can really hurt range, so I'd avoid that, if you can. I'm told there's DC Fast charging along this route, so if you left with less than a full battery in winter, a short 10-15 minute stop on the last leg would get you there.

GaryClark likes this.
  19. Kellie Teter

Kellie Teter New Member

Thank you so much for your help. My experience is that those first 60 mi or so are up such a steep grade that batteries consume at nearly double the linear prediction. Perhaps new batteries with a new technologies in these cars are better.... But what I'm trying to find out is how much more than 60 mi worth of battery use Will I experience in those 60 mi. MyLEAF, first gen I will admit, for example has an 80-mile range but cannot make it beyond the first of 40 miles, to Idaho springs Colorado. And that is only halfway up the incline that brings you to the top of Eisenhower tunnel. So I have given up looking for a car that goes the required number of miles and I'm trying to determine how low on battery I will be before I get to the charging stations that you point out do exist.

Domenick likes this.
  20. Electra

Electra Active Member

I don't own a Tesla, but I've heard their range calculations are spot on. You should set an appointment with Tesla to test drive to see what range you would get when you put in your destination. Remember it will calculate based on current conditions so it will be much lower in Winter. This is just to get an estimate of the range you might get in an Ariya. YMMV. Link to test drive:

https://www.tesla.com/drive

21. TonyInGA

TonyInGA Member

In this case, I think you would benefit from the e-4orce version, 2 batteries, AWD and 389 HP.

Though for sure, you'll be paying extra $ for it.

22. If consumption is double normal, than it would take about 120 miles worth of your range (I see you have to gain 5,800-ish feet there). If your car had 250 miles of range, you would still have plenty of energy left.
    Not sure what the other legs of your trips look like, but I assume you will lose altitude after the tunnel, which would take a lot less energy than normal.

23. Nighthawk36

Nighthawk36 New Member

Gretting Domenick, I am first time poster here.

According to Nissan the Ariya will have a "Snow" mode which can be enabled. I saw this while watching the "Owners manual" videos on YouTube under the Nissan channel. Check it out. It did say "if so equipped" or requires the dual motor version. I think it for all models of the Ariya.