steering wheel noise

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Roy A., Sep 16, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Roy A.

Roy A. New Member

hi, has anyone else have a noise in the steering wheel? recently there has been a rubbing noise in the steering wheel of my Kona Ev. I doesn't affect the driving but the noise is more apparent when I turn corners. I've had the car for around 10000 miles. brought it to the dealership, and they will have to replace the steering wheel column, under warranty.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Was it the wheel itself or the ugly steering driveshaft linkage hidden under the front side dash (above the foot pedals)?

4. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

When you turn at all speeds Was there a DTC code? Once you get the part, can you list the part? Glad the dealership was able to duplicate for warranty.

5. Roy A.

Roy A. New Member

I hear it behind the steering wheel.

6. Roy A.

Roy A. New Member

the technician was able to reproduce the noise and that they have already ordered the steering column assembly. I was not told of the DTC. I'll ask the exact parts that will be replaced when it comes in.

ehatch likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Roy A.

Roy A. New Member

update:
    steering wheel assembly was replaced under warranty, and now no rubbing noise when I turn the steering wheel, like gears-needing-lubrication sound.
    interestingly, I was given a 2018 elantra for for rental, which made the same sound.
    I brought this up to the service advisor and he said they've been seeing more of this on the elantras, konas and ioniqes - but no recall at this point.

9. Good to hear , maybe add this successful repair to this thread :
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/repair-issues-and-fixes.7097/

mho and Francois like this.
  10. I added this fix to the Repair issues and fixes thread
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/repair-issues-and-fixes.7097/#post-80248

mho likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

My wife just started noticing this noise today too. Coincidentally, we just got our car back for a tire rotation, our BMS recall, and a windshield replacement. Do you guys think it was something they caused with the tire rotation or perhaps recalibration with the windshield? I don't think I noticed it beforehand.

Our kona ev has about 24,000 miles on it. This is a bit concerning.

This is the noise:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/3cGDtMJaUkNHCaxn8

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  13. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

So we took the car back today and asked the service guy about the noise, and he said that it was normal. He said it was a noise from the gears when the oil from the factory wears off it will make that kind of noise, but that it is normal. He also said that they reached out to Hyundai to ask about that before and that was the direction they got from them. It's perfectly possible that we may not have noticed the noise before taking the car into the dealership, but just noticed it more now that we got it back.

I am however going to write an email to Hyundai of America I think just to confirm what the service rep said just in case I have any problems with the steering wheel in the future.

Does everyone else's steering wheel make a noise when turning? I never noticed this with other cars beforehand. It's not a super unpleasant noise.. but it sounds exactly like gears moving.

14. DeckKonaEV

DeckKonaEV New Member

We are hearing this steering wheel noise (grinding-like) in our 2020 Kona with about 5300 miles. We hear it backing out of our garage and then turning onto the street to move forward - so basically at low speeds with less cabin noise. Any updates on if this is "normal"? Really not a "feature" I care for...

15. Sandwedge

Sandwedge New Member

Same here, waiting for parts from the service department

16. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    DeckKonaEV and Sandwedge like this.
  17. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

I know it has been posted here somewhere. The sound, does it sound like a creek,or click as you turn in reverse? I hear it reversing into my parking at home because the music is off:D

18. There's a link to a sound bite in the first pdf above.

19. DeckKonaEV

DeckKonaEV New Member

I would call it more of a clicking sound, though there also seems to be some simultaneous resistance in the steering feel. This is most apparent when backing out of our garage into the street, and then putting the vehicle in drive and turning to head up the street. Low speed is where we experience this.

OzKona - thanks for the heads up on the sound file. It sounds similar, but more grit-like inside the car.

OzKona likes this.
  20. DeckKonaEV

DeckKonaEV New Member

Had the car to the dealer yesterday and they confirmed the worm gear needs to be replaced. Parts are backordered...

electriceddy likes this.
  21. Pleased to hear they figured it out, hopefully the material to repair the issue will arrive before too long;)