Dash Camera options for Kona

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by MagicSmoke, Aug 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I am looking for Dash Camera options & recommendations for my Kona. What dash cameras are you using and why would you recommend or not?

Given the quantity of really poor driving skills I see on my daily commute, I suspect I'll need some recorded video as evidence soon

(If previously discussed, please link to that thread).

I had the KDLinks.com R100 (front and rear) camera on my former car but its not feasible for my Kona because its design covers the garage door and other buttons on the rearview mirror. I have two of these R100 sets sitting in a bag in my garage
    [​IMG]

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I use the Garmin Dash Cam 57. One forward, one back. They are small and easily installed. I installed the rear one in the corner. Surface (but hidden reasonably well) wiring.
    I like the Garmin because it's small and I can take snaps with voice command. Lots of 'on the road' pictures I would never have gotten otherwise.

MagicSmoke likes this.
  4. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

How do you power the dash cam/where do you get power from?

5. I installed 2 12V outlets in the cubby hole. Top/Front left of donut spare.
    IMG_6082.jpeg
    They are powered from the front fuse panel but wiring is only loosely concealed in cracks and carpet. More loosely in the back but as I don't carry anyone back there it suits me while waiting for my Ionic 5.

Edit... sorry forgot to mention that the front cam has wire wedged into windshield trim and is only visible where it comes across the dash in left corner. Wire is then routing into fuse panel area for power. Too chicken to pop panels, etc. so I accepted some surface wiring :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. I have a Garmin Dash 56 in the front under the mirror attached to the plastic box housing the self-driving cameras. I ran the long power cable supplied with the dashcam behind the headliner over to the passenger side, down the A-pillar behind the trim, behind the dash and out to the bottom USB outlet, so no permanent mods to the car.

It doesn't have a parking mode but if I need that I can plug it into a small USB power pack which powers it without trouble for several hours.

Once you get the A-pillar trim and dash end cap prised off it will take just minutes to run the wires for whatever dashcam you chose.

Because these are pricey down here I use the dashcam in my ICE car as well and it just takes seconds to swap it over as I've also wired a power cable similarly in that car.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  8. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

Anyone tried to "steal" power from 10 pin rear view mirror connector? :cool:
    I see there are connector adapters being sold for similiar stuff, like for Toyota/Lexus having the same connector, but I did not find any Hyundai/Kia compatible wiring stuff out of the box ...

9. That would be a very easy adapter to make, if I had the connector part number. I have access to all the crimper tools in the world at my work.

10. I was going to do that, installing a switch and a 5V switch-mode regulator inside the plastic molding but after planning it all I chickened out as my cam does not have a specific parking mode and I'm reluctant to make any permanent mods while I'm under warranty. One minor observation is that I found quite a large voltage drop present. Here's the wiring if you need it.

upload_2021-8-16_16-0-19.png

electriceddy and Ginginova like this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

Do we maybe have pinout of the connector written somewhere?

mirror_cable_01.jpg

mirror_cable_02.jpg

13. My comments pertained to the overhead light rather than the mirror. My IRE/EU model does not have any switches on the mirror.
    upload_2021-8-17_9-32-31.png
    upload_2021-8-17_9-35-0.png

Ginginova and electriceddy like this.
  14. That is very kind of you to supply those drawings, thank you!:)

mho, Ginginova and KiwiME like this.