Keyless entry modification to avoid theft

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by JohnDD, Aug 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JohnDD

JohnDD New Member

Recent news articles report many thefts of cars that have the new key fob key-less entry. Why don't the companies modify the fob to act like the tire pressure sensing? The tire pressure sensors are off until the vehicle has been driven a short while.

The key fobs should include a feature that they are off until they move (motion sensor). That way we could safely keep our fobs in the house and the thieves would have a much harder time driving off with our cars from the driveway.

Any problem with that suggested approach?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ray Dube

Ray Dube New Member

The only problem I see if those being stolen away from home.

Park at a store, go inside, walk around. Not going to be effective.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  4. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

5. NSKonaEV

NSKonaEV New Member

I am pretty sure bluelink can immobilize engine from their customer line if needs to, I know this doesn't solve an issue of getting car stolen but it helps with retrieval.
    They need to follow Tesla's tech with this, or a simple finger print sensor on the start button would do the trick. Finger print sensors aren't that costly to install from factory point of view.

Honestly I never had problem with theft or anybody that I know of, most of the people leave their car unlocked at home and I have left my car unlocked at superstore or mall many a times.

6. No car thief is smart enough in NZ to carry out a relay attack utilising a key fob in the house. More likely they'd break into your home and steal the key, so it seems best to secure or hide car keys.

Ray Dube likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

Relay attacks to steal Range Rovers are pretty common in my area (UK)

9. You are probably right KiwME. So I'm thinking that having all keys in a Faraday box out of view might be prudent? At least it would be tidier than around the shelf we use! :)

10. Interesting. We live in a valley with one access road so it's not a smart place to thieve any stuff. But seeing how quickly these relay people can work, think I'd better become less casual.

11. Easiest solution to this is this, workes perfectly and super cheap and possibly very yummy fix!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. That's basically the most trouble free thing you can do.

Get some farady cloth and line your keys box with it. I put all my keys in a small box as soon as I get home because I hate having to try to find my keys.

For women with purses, line one of the pockets in your purse with it.

Guys, make a small fob sleeve out of it. When you are away from your car, and you worry, then put the sleeve on and put it in your pocket.

14. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Ha ha .. yea, probably - after waiting on HOLD for 40 mins ! Bluelink service sux ... IMHO

Ronny likes this.
  15. Realistically I think the risk of theft in NZ by relay attack is nearly zero, helped by the fact that we live on an island with a minimal profitable market for stolen cars, especially EVs. In Hawkes Bay most nicked cars are older ones without an immobiliser and are just used for joyriding or carrying out further criminal activities. If you're an Apple user snag yourself an Airtag and hide it in the car, a brilliant device for finding things, eg my ebike.

upload_2021-8-15_13-5-25.png

John Lumsden likes this.