Pulling out the Center Display [Infotainment]

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by AWarmDayinDecember, Aug 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. AWarmDayinDecember

AWarmDayinDecember New Member

Does anyone know anything about removing the center display? Figuring on upgrading ram/cpu. Rather nervous about screwing up my interior by just picking at it. It feels as if the suede bar piece under the display might just pull off.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Aleksandar Mitrovic

Aleksandar Mitrovic New Member

How would you upgrade CPU and RAM? What would the benefits of it be? What CPU and RAM does it have now and what would you upgrade to?

4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

You can purchase 'modern' afternarket infotainment units for the Accord.

Here is an example:
    https://www.belsee.com/belsee-best-aftermarket-android-9-0-pie-auto-head-unit-car-stereo-upgrade-radio-replacement-parts-for-honda-accord-10th-gen-2018-2019.html

Obviously you want to somehow port the factory software over, and I'm not sure how easy / feasible that would be. If this is used in an Accord, then maybe there is some level of connector compatibility with the Clarity.

It will be interesting if / when somebody tries this. I haven't heard of anyone being brave enough to attempt something like this.

These are Android 9 (vs. the Android 4.x that comes with the vehicle).

They also have one that works with a 2017-2019 CRV that might be a possibility:
    https://www.belsee.com/belsee-best-aftermarket-android-9-0-pie-head-unit-stereo-upgrade-radio-replacement-parts-for-honda-cr-v-cr-v-crv-2017-2019.html

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  5. MrFixit

Nice video !

BrianRC likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Yes it is! And all with one hand, no less! The video is courtesy of @wirelessnet2 who occasionally visits this forum.

8. Boston_Pilot

Boston_Pilot Active Member

Except the Clarity isn’t an Accord.

9. The only app I use on my Clarity infotainment unit is Screen2Auto, through which I plug in my Android phone and I can use any app on my phone including things like Waze, YouTube or Audible. So I don't have a problem with the stock ram/cpu.

10. Boston_Pilot

Boston_Pilot Active Member

That’s because you’re using it on a rooted Android phone. Really doesn’t have a thing to do with the Clarity head unit.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. MrFixit

Didn't say that it was...
    Was merely speculating about possible pinout / connector compatibility.

13. It does to the extent that I never use Clarity head unit so I see not point in upgrading it.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  14. Tom H

Tom H New Member

The head unit is basically a 2017 version from Honda. In 2018 they added knobs for other models but not the Clarity.

15. AWarmDayinDecember

BrianRC likes this.
  16. AWarmDayinDecember

Well I'll be soon pulling apart to find out how easily upgradable it'd be. After having used my 2018's center display, I found it to be fairly laggish. I personally have a couple unused laptops lying around, as well as some phones that have broken screens but good internals. It's been a while since I've done computer/electronic work, but I think this project could be fun as well as useful.

Lucien Mcleod likes this.
  17. Let us know how that works out.