Smart Cruise Control

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by IslandGuy, Aug 4, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Don't make too many assumptions. Of course Hyundai is going to make the standard disclaimers about SCC. And i am not "testing" SCC. I am using it as instructed by the service manual and am aware of the warnings. In fact it works flawlessly at speeds under something around 50-60 km/hr. There were no warnings about using it at higher speeds. I discovered that it was dangerous at higher speeds because it waited too long to brake to avoid hitting the car at a stop light in front of me so I applied the brakes myself.
    So now I know how to use it. If I am endangering anyone by using SCC then Hyundai should just disable it for everyone.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Also, I think I read somewhere that the smart cruise control doesn't see stopped vehicles, only ones that are moving, even if slightly. The emergency braking does see stopped vehicles, but only reacts at the last moment.

4. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

It is not the speed
    It is the stop lights, it is specifically not designed to be used where stoplights are encountered

eastpole and Esprit1st like this.
  5. A lot of confusion on this subject. I never said anything about SCC stopping at stop lights. It's designed to follow the car in the front of me at a certain number of car lengths depending on the speed. I of course never expected it to stop at stop lights. Why do you bring that up at all? Is there anyone who has a Hyundai Kona EV that thinks it will stop at a red light?
    If it's true that SCC does not see cars that are sitting still then that might explain why the car uses the emergency braking to stop the car, not SCC.
    However emergency braking works better in slower moving traffic if the car in front slows to almost stop so slow moving starting and stopping traffic is not a problem at all.

6. Why do you say that its using emergency braking? Is there some indicator of emergency braking vs smart cruise control? I agree that it can stop pretty hard in some situations (and can scare the bejeezus out of me) but it does stop. As for not recognizing stopped cars, well, that's just not true. I pull up to cars at stoplights all the time. It stops and resumes automatically or with a tap of the accelerator or resume switch..

Lars likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. If you're lucky when you come up on a stopped car the SCC "might" pick it up in time and slow down, however the chances of that are slim IF you're going fast. A lot better if you go slower. The slower the higher the chances.

If SCC doesn't pick it up the only thing that will keep you from crashing is the driver or if you're lucky the front collision avoidance system will kick in. But I wouldn't bet my life on it.

9. The "chances" are not slim. The car stops. The fact that it doesn't stop as early as you (and I) would like it to doesn't change that fact. Speed obviously increases the severity of braking but it doesn't change the odds of it doing so. The Smart Cruise is not perfect and there may be better systems out there (I don't have the experience with them to know) but claiming that it doesn't work and is inherently dangerous just seems incorrect.

Lars and John Lumsden like this.
  10. Well, I watched a YouTube video of a testing facility (can't remember which one it was but something like TÜV) testing various collision avoidance systems and some didn't work quite as well as designed.

Which means that some hit the car they were braking for. I cannot remember which brands worked and which didn't.

They all braked, but the outcome was different.

So I wouldn't purposely "test" the system. That might get very expensive.

11. Some people think that the emergency braking is stopping the car when it gets close to a stopped car on the road, not SCC. They say that radar does not recognize standing objects. I don't know much about any of this. As I stated the SCC works fine as long as the car is not travelling too fast. I am only referring to when I am travelling at higher speeds and coming to a stopped car at a stop light. My car will not stop fast enough in SCC at higher speeds to prevent a collision.
    I was scared once and will never trust SCC again with high speeds and stoplights.

electriceddy and Esprit1st like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I agree.

Esprit1st likes this.
  14. Fortunately ICBC is one of those and offers a 10% discount just for having that system included . Saved me $100 bucks - not going to argue that:)

Autonomous emergency braking (AEB) is a safety feature that uses technology to anticipate when a vehicle is about to have a front-end collision and automatically engages the brakes without the driver’s action. Vehicles equipped with factory-installed autonomous emergency braking (AEB) are eligible for a 10% discount as AEB has been statistically shown to help prevent crashes.
    https://www.icbc.com/insurance/costs/Pages/Discounts-and-savings.aspx

mho, Lars, IslandGuy and 1 other person like this.
  15. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

[QUOTE="IslandGuy, post: 141913, member: 31700" As I stated the SCC works fine as long as the car is not travelling too fast. I am only referring to when I am travelling at higher speeds and coming to a stopped car at a stop light.[/QUOTE]

You are not supposed to be using SCC where traffic lights are a possibility

It is intended for limited access highways, IOW no traffic lights no stop signs
    There is no confusion.
    You are using it in a situation it was not intended for

Lars and Esprit1st like this.
  16. You are not supposed to be using SCC where traffic lights are a possibility

It is intended for limited access highways, IOW no traffic lights no stop signs
    There is no confusion.
    You are using it in a situation it was not intended for[/QUOTE]

Not sure I completely agree. From the infallible Wikipedia, here's the definition of a limited access highway:

A limited-access road, known by various terms worldwide, including limited-access highway, dual-carriageway, expressway, and partial controlled access highway, is a highway or arterial road for high-speed traffic which has many or most characteristics of a controlled-access highway (also known as a freeway or motorway), including limited or no access to adjacent property, some degree of separation of opposing traffic flow, use of grade separated interchanges to some extent, prohibition of some modes of transport such as bicycles or horses, and very few or no intersecting cross-streets or level crossings. The degree of isolation from local traffic allowed varies between countries and regions. The precise definition of these terms varies by jurisdiction.[1]

So, somewhere between a true freeway and a regular two-lane highway. I think it perfectly describes the highway on Vancouver Island (at least the lower half). It's usually 4 lanes, there's the occasional on or off road without a light, and lights about every 10 minutes once out of Nanaimo where it's every couple of minutes.

Anyway, I find using the SCC on this highway very useful. The speed limit is mostly 90 kmh so I set the SCC at 100 (don't tell anyone) and then drive leisurely along. There's usually someone in front of me doing about the same speed or a bit less and my car simply adjusts. Makes for very relaxed driving at a speed where I won't get a ticket. BUT I'm always ready to apply the brakes. Sometimes when coming to a light, all the traffic slows predictably and I'll let the SCC slow me to a stop along with them (although I hover my foot over the brake). But often, even though it probably would stop me, I realize there was a big gap to the stopped, or almost stopped car in front. Then I just brake earlier so as to have a gradual slow down like in any other car. And, of course, if there's a red light and no cars, I use the brakes as normal as well.

IslandGuy likes this.
  17. I have both the Kona and a Subaru. The latter has a much more sophisticated cruise control, with dual stereo cameras in front. I use it in all traffic situations, including stop and go freeway traffic (#1 hwy here in Lower Mainland) and it works very well. I can adjust not only spacing, but how aggressively it maintains that distance to the car in front. While Hyundai has those settings, it is not nearly as practical and useful. With my Kona, I find it waits too long to slow down (scary) and takes too long to speed up allowing others to cut in front of you. The Subaru starts slowing long before and more gradually, just as I would if I at ACC shut off. And no lag on take-off and speeds up as needed to maintain the set distance (which changes with speed). It works remarkably well.

Having said that, I have learned to live with the Kona's ACC, and use it on the hwy frequently. But I also don't trust it in heavy stop and go traffic, and will brake myself if ahead traffic slows down rapidly.

IslandGuy likes this.
  18. Guys can you all get it straight, please. Neither the SCC or the Collision Avoidance (AEB) make an Autopilot. So just use it as it is intended. You can't read the Daily News while driving. ;)

19. And Tesla's "autopilot" is also just another driver assist feature. It is NOT self driving despite how some people try to use it. And Tesla's version is also not as safe as some other car makers, in that in does not use camera technology to detect when a driver is inattentive to the road.
    https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/us-agency-opens-formal-probe-tesla-autopilot-system-79476276
    And I don't know of any other auto maker that uses their customers as guinea pigs to test their safety systems.

Hyundai's system may not be as sophisticated and mature as some others. But it does work as intended, and will stop many accidents. Just need to understand its limitations and not get complacent. However, I have a lot more faith and confidence in Hyundai's driver assist (and many other car maker's) than Tesla.

Lars likes this.
  20. Sorry, I used "Autopilot" in a generic sense not as a Tesla Autopilot. Our aim is to communicate clearly - haha

21. I don't like the term autopilot. It suggests more than just a driver assist feature, which no doubt has led some Tesla drivers to misuse it and to their deaths. Every other car maker and the industry calls it driver assist. Tesla needs to differentiate between driver assist and FSD (their term for full self driving). The latter also should be just called autonomous driving which is what the industry uses. And we are a LONG ways off from that becoming reality, despite Elon Musk's past promises.

Don't get me wrong, I admire Elon for being a bold EV leader, and changing the world re EV adoption. But he needs to be more careful with how he rolls out driving software to his customers that is not properly tested. Many people have died because of this needless practice.

22. I remembered and found this priceless post (especially the "we're going to die!" part) :
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/my-new-kona-electric-and-my-first-impressions.4387/page-7#post-48399
    probably the best description to date, posted just after we finally started receiving our 2018 builds. :D

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    mho likes this.
  23. well, as far as i can see, the smart' cruise system is for when both cars are cruising down the road and nothing else.
    Its for distance keeping and smart speed control, when following a car in front of your moving car,
    that's how it works on my 2022 Kona EV.

Esprit1st and Lars like this.