ID.4 First Charging Attempt - A Partial Success

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by JGIORD, Aug 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JGIORD

JGIORD New Member

Bought an ID.4 Pro S a couple of weeks ago. I just had a WallBox charging station installed in my garage so last night I wanted to try it out. I still had about 50% of battery left.

I had the car set to charge to 80%. I plugged it in and tried using the Wallbox app to schedule the charge starting at 9pm and ending at 6am. Well I checked on the car prior to going to bed and it never started to charge.

I disconnected the adapter (J1772) and replugged it in and it immediately started to charge. Woke up this morning and I'm at 80% with 187 mile range.

So since the app didn't work, my question is do I need to also schedule the time on the car's setting as well so they are in sync? Or should I just use the car's schedule for charging? The app would have been the most convenient since I don't know when I will need to charge and would have liked to just plug it in, schedule it and walk away.

Or has none of the scheduling stuff been successful yet?

Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. According to this thread, scheduling charging isn't going so well for this owner either, and they are hoping for a software update to fix it. I would definitely get in touch with the dealer and see if they can tell you if it's a common problem or if they know whether a fix is coming. I'll make a few inquiries as well.

Just curious, are you using the Wallbox Pulsar Plus we reviewed here?

4. JGIORD

JGIORD New Member

Thanks Dom

Yes that is the Wallbox charging station I purchased. Unfortunately, the scheduling didn't work with the ID.4. I do like the charger and the app though. My only complaint with the Wallbox is the length of the plug cable is fairly short. I would have preferred something more like 18"

electriceddy likes this.
  5. JGIORD

JGIORD New Member

I stumbled on this video and found it very helpful. I setup a schedule and will try this next

VeeDub'r and Domenick like this.
  6. dcisive

dcisive New Member

I guess I don't care to bother with any scheduling. It hasn't been necessary frankly. I will usually just plug in my Clipper Creek 50P EVSC in when I go to bed typically around 11pm. It goes on it's merry way and then when it reaches my desired set percentage of charge (usually 90% or 80%) it simply stops. No big deal. Our cut off for lowered energy costs is 9pm so for me this works out perfectly. I don't need nor want all the WiFi gadgetry and programming and such. I can program the car from the Infotainment if I really wanted to but I don't care. I can easily also bring up Car-Net and see what the state of my charging is, or start it if desired and that too has worked flawlessly. The Clipper Creek units sure are reliable and remain room temperature and don't get warm cable and all. I'm finding for example a 40% to 80% charge took about 3 hours, not to shabby. An 80% charge registers 210 miles available where 90% shows 235 miles available. So far that's what I'm seeing.

Todd Hummel and Jim Parent like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I can't imagine trying to snuggle up to the EVSE with an 18 inch cord, at least 2 feet would be the absolute minimum for me;)

mho likes this.
  9. midsail

midsail New Member

Hello everyone
    I just received theses instruction from the Wall Box Tech Support. Happy to say I am now able to connect to my Home WiFI with no issues. Once I was able to connect to my WI-FI updating to the latest software version was not an issue.
    Side note it took a few mins to restore the unit.

Click your charger
    Click the gear icon in the top right
    Select Installation Options
    Select the Restore option

The restoration is now processing, please wait until the loading bar is completed and the mention “Your charger has been restored” appears.
    Then please update the charger:
    1. Please make sure to be connected via Bluetooth
    2. Log into your MyWallbox app
    3. Select your charger
    4. Hit the gear icon in the top right
    5. Select charger information
    6. You will see charger version
      1. Select and you will see an option to update
      2. Follow Prompts

10. JGiord:

A few thoughts based on my to-date research on the L2 charging control mechanisms.

Caveat: This is all based on "research." I do not [yet] have my own EV (awaiting an ID.4 AWD) nor do I have more than cursory experience w/ actual AC L2 chargers. (I do work professionally in "power" electricity and battery energy storage industries)

First: While scheduled charging at night is almost always considered "Good Grid Citizenship" ... you should be aware if you actually have an economic rationale to do so ... ? (FWIW my own PoCo charges residential customers a flat kWH rate 24/7/365)

Next: The apparent "disconnect" seems to be that the vehicle's charging system and EVSE must BOTH be "awake" at the same time ... and it would appear from comments here that one device isn't necessarily capable of "awakening" the other.

(Nor have I found found any "wake up" provisions in the EVSE J1772 design documents reviewed)

EVSE control is quite basic / simplistic and generally available for review.

The vehicle's charging control scheme however, is a significantly more complex "system of systems" and is more "closely-guarded" by the vehicle and battery manufacturers.

Given that understanding, I'd suggest that the best strategy - at least for now - is to keep the EVSE connected and "awake" 24/7 and let the vehicle control the charging routine.

(i.e. Allow only one chef - the one w/ with most "knowledge and experience" - to run the kitchen)

The utility power drawn by the controls of a "physically connected but not actually charging" EVSE should be negligible. (limited to the micro-electronic controls and displays)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  11. JGIORD

JGIORD New Member

Thanks VeeDub

This will definitely need a lot of trial and error. I deleted all the scheduled programming in both the car and the WallBox app. Then struggled to reconnect to WIFI due to my internet provider crashing.

Eventually It was a simple plug and charge once I got everything setup correctly. However, for some reason my car wouldn't release the connector and took forever for me to get it to try and stop charging. I eventually got it.

There will definitely be a learning curve here. But at least I'm still digging the car!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Consider yourself fortunate that you have an actual vehicle on which to learn. <wink>

Although recent posts in another thread have given me the faintest glimmer of hope that my AWD might possibly arrive "sooner" than I'd pessimistically anticipated.

Domenick likes this.