Talking with 'gear heads'

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Aug 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I follow Autoline TV and the Biden announcement led to a lot of FUD postings. So I shared:

A Tesla Model 3 owner for over two years and 50,000 miles, it is different but not difficult.

Charger access, 7-10 kW, around apartment and business parking lots solves the biggest problem. For example, shopping centers are offering charging, often free, like Whole Foods.

Affordable EVs will come from end-of-lease and used like my first car, a 1966 VW MicroBus bought in 1972. As EV technology improves, early adopters will do like I did, trade-in the PHEV Prius Prime for the Model 3 which brought the price to $24,000.

When adopting a new technology, I recommend starting with a PHEV with at least 50 miles EV range. My 2014 BMW i3-REx easily handles the city and the modified motorcycle engine sustains 70 mph, 24×7 for cross country. Since BMW dropped the BMW i3, there are excellent bargains.

Different means there are new skills to master. But it really isn’t all that hard and sometimes even fun.

My approach is to be calm and use my path as an example. No need to be confrontational. Sure some will 'bite back', but share facts and data with sources and the problem is solved. We are the face of EV owners and advocates so be factual and calm.

Bob Wilson

Boogaloo and Esprit1st like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I had a conversation yesterday at my job. We were not trying to convince anyone. Just everyone talking what they like. One said he'd never get an EV because he needs to have the sound of a V8.

4. The most important thing is to first listen and try to understand where they are coming from. There are a lot of strongly held EV misconceptions out there. But if you can hear what their priorities are with car ownership, you have a much better chance of addressing their objections and highlighting the opportunities.

I have several friends and neighbours that are now considering an EV for their next car purchase. And the reasons/considerations really vary, incl economical (price and depreciation), performance, high gas prices, new EV choices, charging infrastructure, battery longevity, range, quiet operation, maintenance, and more. And there is much good news to talk about, so not really that hard to put forward a convincing argument.

I might mention that it is also important not to sell your own car or experiences. People are all different, and your priorities may not be the same as theirs. And if they think you are a fanboi, your credibility is lost.

John Lumsden likes this.
  5. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

True "gear heads" appreciate the power and performance characteristics of electric motors.

At shows, we display a cutaway BMW ICE next to a performance electric motor (400HP @ ~100 lbs with 2 moving parts). Lots of "Hey Bob! C'mere you gotta see this!". Full stats with weight, HP, moving parts, required maintenance posted as well.

Often we'll have some racing vehicles on display at large events. At our last (in person) NDEW event we had Steve Huff and his "Current Technology" and John Waylan with the "White Zombie"

John Lumsden likes this.
  6. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Bums in seats change opinions. Take em for a drive, get them behind the wheel.

bwilson4web and Esprit1st like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.