Battery replacements are starting

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by gonfunko, Jun 23, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. UPDATE: I got through to a case manager today. First response was that if I wasn't having any problems with my battery then no need to replace it. When I explained that it functioned fine but just might blow up, the advice was that I go to the dealer and ask for a battery replacement and that I would be eligible to get one--but that they are on back order and it might take a long time. Also confirmed that it's OK to charge to 100%. March 2019 Kona SEL

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Confusing information from Hyundai. Now they're telling owners they can charge to 100% . With @ericy having a battery replacement,yet being told to get one when he doesn't own one anymore. As an aside, more Bolt owners in the U.S.have an option to buy back, or a replacement.

4. NRH

NRH Active Member

I had a 90 minute Recall 200 appointment last week. Service manager says that they submit the battery order for approval, and then call us when they've got the new battery in the shop. I asked if there was some analysis to determine whether or not we'd be getting a replacement and he said "Oh, you're 100% getting a new battery!"

When I was there another Kona was on the lift, and they were doing the first battery replacement right then. The new battery was sitting right outside the service lobby in the shop in a big re-usable metal crate, with orange "High Voltage" traffic cones sitting all over it!

navguy12 likes this.
  5. NRH

NRH Active Member

upload_2021-8-9_12-38-19.jpeg

navguy12 likes this.
  6. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

Got a call last week from my local service manager. They said my battery would be delivered in about 2 weeks. They mentioned I’d be the first at that dealership to receive the replacement.

I complained about a month ago to Hyundai corporate that I would need a loaner vehicle. So I guess word got to my dealership - the service manager said a loaner would be made available when I dropped my vehicle off.

One week to go! Let’s see how correct their timelines are!

Also, any word on the gift card? I haven’t gotten jack. Took my car in for them to validate the 80% SOC like 2 months ago. I assumed it would be triggered after that “service” was completed. But I’ve gotten diddly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

navguy12 and Wildeyed like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. So I just came back from the dealer and he said that when they did my software update in July, they checked the transmitter to the battery. Only if a specific code appears are they permitted to order a new battery. The code did not show up so corporate will not approve it. I told him my case manager told me I could have one if I wanted one, but he said it would not be approved without the specific code. Only if the check engine light comes on indicating a battery problem will they be able to order one. Northern NJ 2019 Kona SEL.

9. MikeP

MikeP New Member

[​IMG]
    Yep, I just saw my new battery at the dealership. Waiting for them to be ready to install it.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

10. So apparently batteries are coming to Ontario. That's good to hear. Only one Canadian on this forum, to my recollection, has reported getting an e-card yet . I've bitched and moaned plenty to corporate and nothing so far. 90 days and counting...

Brennan Raposo likes this.
  11. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

I dropped off my 2019 Kona Limited last Tuesday. They sent me over to Enterprise to get a rental as they didn't have any loaners on hand anymore. Ended up with a tiny Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback. I sure hope I get it back in a month like they estimate. The 1.3 Liter 3-cylinder engine is about as powerful as my lawnmower.

Brennan Raposo likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. LOL. Same situation for me when I dropped mine off this morning, though Enterprise ended up giving me a Chrysler Voyager minivan. Now THAT'S a different car from the Kona EV...

ehatch likes this.
  14. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

What did you VIN info.read after you entered it into the NHTSA?
    In NJ, file a lemon law claim. Have them replace the entire Kona electric with a 2022:D Let Hyundai yell at their dealer for their "sensitivity" in dealing with a potentially catastrophic incident.

15. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Should've gotten an EV off of Turo. An electric lawn mower may actually have more power...

16. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Longer Hyundai doesn't fulfill their end of the "deal" when they're reducing their product by 20% ,potentially slowing charging on some impacted Konas, reduced range beyond expectation... There's more of a case for non compliance with vehicle safety requirements.Pretty sure these don't include combustible under any,and all conditions that may arise.

17. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

The "day or two" for Hyundai approval has morphed into about a month....called the dealer today and was told that Hyundai has approved the battery change for us and it will come in when it comes in. Dealer knew nothing when I called about 2 weeks ago, so the approval is (sometime) since then. And so the wait continues, glad we still have the car and use it daily.

18. I had complained to my case manager via email and still not hearing back from them since my first point of opening my case June 10 other than one voicemail and one email. My local dealership where I had the recalls done called and said they want to start the battery replacement process and they would give me a loaner. So I made an appt for the 24th. They said I'd get a loaner so I just hope they remember this. I didn't ask but I wonder if they called me to schedule it because of my case. He did say Hyundai called him to start the process but he didn't say if it was in reference to the case. I originally asked about buyback but that seems to be too late. Probably for the best since I'm looking for a new job and that extra $ that i'd need to buy a new car would be useful right now in-between work.

19. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

Update with regards to the $250 gift card!
    I just got a random email from “Hyundai Prepaid Digital Solutions” and was about to delete it thinking it was spam when I noticed the amount of $250.

I clicked the link which took me to a legitimate Hyundai website. It allowed me to select a digital or physical gift card. I selected the digital card and was immediately sent a credit card number, expiration date and CVV!

At least the gift card came through!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

electriceddy and Wildeyed like this.
  20. Karl C.

Karl C. New Member

Had an appt yesterday to get the battery replaced on my 2019 Kona EV. Went smooth enough. The battery is installed. I picked it up last night with it charged to 186 mi at 55%. Charging it to full charge in my garage now. Hope to get 350 at 100%. I never had any issues with my old battery and charged it to 350 at100%. I only did it twice when taking a longer journey, but it’s nice to know that I have it if I need it.

Attached Files:

navguy12 likes this.
  21. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

Karl, when did you get approval from Hyundai...and how long until your battery installation?

22. I feel like I'm entitled to hate you... at least a little bit. If you recall you got your car delivered before me, despite me having ordered it sooner. Now you have your gift card and a battery replacement appointment while, once again, I have nothing. I must not be living right. :(

23. Karl C.

Karl C. New Member

HEY SCOT, Hyundai contacted me mid June and set up a three way call with my Hyundai dealer. We set a date of July 13 for the battery replacement. When my appointment time came the dealer did not have the battery yet and in fact had not ordered it. They needed to scan my VIN and then get permission from Hyundai to order it. Needless to say I was pissed. The dealership received 5 batteries on aug 2nd. when I called to set up the appt they said it would be another month. I raised hell and they moved my appt to Aug 10. It hasn't been easy, but it could have been worse. I'm glad it's over!

electriceddy likes this.