Lease ending Sept 2021, anything to upgrade from for the new models?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by dnb, Mar 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. dnb

dnb Active Member

Wondering if there is anything worthwhile to upgrading to in the new models. From what I've seen it seems like there aren't really any chances unless the 2022 model has some? Did I miss anything or has Honda pretty much just been using the same car for a few years now?

Car running very well, minus local dealership never applying any software updates even when I ask them to :(.

Anyone else who is leasing are you planning on keeping, upgrading or switching to another car when it ends?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

There's a thread discussing the changes between 2018 and 2020. The biggest negative change is the cruise control no longer slowing the Clarity on downhill travel to maintain the set speed. Another change some owners didn't like is the louder pedestrian warning sound in the 2020 model.

In other threads, forum members were basing their keep/upgrade/switch decision on how much they like their Clarity and what kind of buy-out deal they were offered.

As always, Honda remains mum regarding any changes to next year's model.

dnb likes this.
  4. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

What! Why! That should be user selectable. Sigh...

5. jpkik96

jpkik96 Member

dnb - I also have a Clarity coming off lease at the end of June and am debating the same decision. I posted a similar thread about a month ago and at the time was considering purchasing a leftover 2020 HAH Touring. However, given how much I enjoy EV driving and the Clarity in general, I am now debating between a PHEV or pure EV as my next purchase. Even though the Clarity could use a refresh, my car has been trouble-free, and factoring in all manufacturer and Federal incentives available it still remains a very compelling value. Here is what I am now considering
    1.) Extending my Clarity lease for 6-12 months, which should allow the supply of NEW PHEV and EV vehicles to build from current levels. This would also allow me to see if NJ and the US Govt. come out with new inventive programs in support of EV driving. There will be a lot of competition by the Fall, between the Ford Mach E, VW ID4. Tesla M3 and Y and RAV4 Prime (PHEV), all of which should be good for buyers. And maybe Honda will start selling the CRV PHEV it currently sells in China in the US for 2022....
    2.) Buying my current Clarity off lease. It has been trouble-free and well maintained.
    3.) Buying a 2021 Clarity (versus leasing) to take advantage of the financial incentives noted above.
    4.) Buying a RAV4 Prime XSE Premium if supply catches up with demand and prices become more competitive. I test drove one earlier this year and is a compelling alternative
    5.) If I decide to go full EV, purchase the Mach E or Model S or Y....

Good luck!

dnb likes this.
  6. lessismore

lessismore Member

I am in the same boat (also live in NJ BTW) - lease ends in August. But I am no longer debating, as I had pulled the trigger to buy the Clarity with cash. I leased the car for my daughter, who had grown attached to this car. With remaining lease payments and residual, I paid approx. $16,200 before sales tax (Honda Financial does include sales tax in the lease payout amount) for the car, and I am waiting for my title. This is how I look at it - if I can get 5 years of trouble free driving from its remaining life expectancy, it's worth it. Anything on top (which I believe it will last longer than 8 years) is icing on the cake. Overall it's a solid car. Are there any better PHEV or BEV out there with better value? very likely. But it's a good experience for our family. Cheers

neal adkins and dnb like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I don't believe anyone has come up with a better value than the Clarity PHEV. Honda built a good car that does what no other car of comparable price/size can do, priced it artificially low (too low to make a profit, that is) and then added incentives (well, for people in some states but not everyone).

dnb and Agzand like this.
  9. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

I agree, at those year end sale prices the car is probably the best value in history. Between those models the only one that I consider to replace my Clarity is RAV4 Prime. It doesn't make sense to pay 3 times more for a BEV that has little advantage in terms of driving in EV mode but doesn't have the freedom and long distance performance that is provided by a proper PHEV.

dnb and insightman like this.
  10. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I have always planned on buying mine at the end of the lease. I am way over on milage because of this. My buyout price set at lease start was $13,XXX. There is nothing I need to worry about being over on milage if I'm going to buy it, right?

11. dnb

dnb Active Member

You still drive a lot? :D My last year driving has gone down a lot, but ya I was planning on buying it originally, the lease taking the tax credit off up front was just gravy, plus the far lower monthly payment (though with extended years for needing 2nd loan after lease, but little interest)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. dnb

dnb Active Member

Yeah, I'd never heard of it and was looking into Hybrid Accords and saw it on Honda's website and was blown away at the price and (mostly) electric only option this offers. I've only gotten gas like a dozen or so times since getting it in 2018, and that is all from long road trips which I really enjoy the gas option over electric only... no hours of charging time needed over 8+ hours of driving. Why I was wondering if there was anything else in this class, love the size of it (roomy sedan).

14. dnb

dnb Active Member

Great thanks for the links! :)

That cruise control change could be very nice or bad depending on how high it lets it go.. some huge hills and mountains around me so having it go far above would be worse than throttling now, I often just turn it off and manually control it from the paddles right now on road trips through the mountains.

Any infotainment updates? Wireless android auto? Crazy how advanced the car was in 2018 that years later no real changes. Would love to see EV range bump from newer tech but guess that isn't ready yet.

15. lessismore

lessismore Member

correct. if you buy at the lease end, it's your car. Honda Financial Service does not get to say how many miles you have on your own car. Cheers!

16. dnb

dnb Active Member

Hey just seeing if there are any other opinions or suggestions or if anything has changed much recently. Still thinking of buying my car unless there are some others I should be looking at instead? My payoff is ~15k. I do need new tires as well (do I have to replace those anyway if I go to trade it in/return it?)

17. dnb

dnb Active Member

What did you end up doing? How did it work out?

18. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

Your car worth much more than $15k, so you should buy it. I heard Honda won't allow third party lease boyouts, so depending on tax situation in your state you might have to find the right way to sell the car yourself and avoid taxation if you don't want to keep it.

19. dnb

dnb Active Member

Yeah I was thinking of picking up an extended warranty, the 5 year 100k or 120k one for ~1500 and new tires (one of them is already @ 2/32 somehow???). I've done all the routine maintenance and am around 22k miles.

Trying to figure out how to get a loan to cover and when exactly I need to do the buyout by as well... bought it end of Sept 2018. So much to figure out :eek:

20. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

You can try a credit union like PenFed. It is an easy process and rates are crazy good! I think your car trade in value in California is around $21k these days.