Traded my 19 base for Rav4 Prime

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Sthomasa, Jul 28, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Johngalt6146

Johngalt6146 Active Member

I love my 2018 Clarity Touring (bought end of 2017) and would not want to get rid of it, despite its obstinate infotainment system. The gas engine only runs a few minutes per year, but it is there when I need it. The feeling of ultra-quiet, smooth power is wonderful.

Things that might make me reconsider:

- A nice-looking $50K 500 mile BEV with widespread charging availability.
    - A nice looking $50 k roadster.

None of these exist yet.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TNGJ

TNGJ New Member

Honda X NV, made in China Honda EV Car

251 miles (400 km) range, 53.6kWh lithium ion battery, single 159bhp motor.

[​IMG]

4. LAF

LAF Active Member

Johngalt6146 likes this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I assume you mean a BEV roadster. VW's ID.Buggy looked like it would be the first (not including Elon's 1st car, a modified Lotus), but then VW got cold feet. MINI is making EV roadster noises, but not very loud ones. There are rumors of a Porsche EV Boxster, but they're part of the cold-feet company--and if it does come to be, it won't cost as little as $50K. The big problem is protecting the occupants from the big battery in a rollover accident, so I assume all BEV roadsters will need to have a roll cage.

upload_2021-8-4_9-50-28.png

6. Right. Let’s all support VW. They have a spotless record when it comes to vehicular emissions.

Johngalt6146 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Johngalt6146

You are correct on BEV Roadster. That's what I meant. Thanks
    I agree that the design, safety, market, and price point are tough issues.

9. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

I see the world going BEV. Looked at a Model Y and the design is beautiful. I was kicking myself for a few minutes until I saw the que for chargers and the line of Teslas with owners sitting there waiting for their jolt.
    Even with Level two charging, BEV drivers are going to be paying some primetime electric rates.
    In So Cal, I pay time of use .09, .24, or .54 kwh. For the Clarity, that was 1.70 or 11.00 a gal gas equivalent.
    I'm sticking with phev for now. I love cars but as a tool to get around, only you can pick the right tool for the right job.
    But, seeing the ability like in the coming Ionic 5, to be a power wall is amazing. Charge at .09 and run a house a/c during .54 charge time would be way cool!!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Johngalt6146 likes this.
  10. I am, admittedly, not completely familiar with the Ionic 5. Will the US version actually have Vehicle to House or Vehicle to Grid capability?

11. I know it will have outlets for sending electricity to devices, but don't think (off the top of my head) if it will have V2G in the US. Some of that info may be in our Ioniq 5 sub-forum.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

It has V2L (outlets), but not V2H or V2G.
    V2H would allow it to power your house (as backup power but also load shaving), V2G would interface with the grid and allow it to borrow power from your EV during peak events

14. MyTwoCents

MyTwoCents New Member

Not the best of sources, but searching comes up with multiple stories telling the same thing. Hybrids are a poor intermediary.

15. ClariPete

ClariPete New Member

Attached Files:

16. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

What I think is exciting is not ev to grid...like solar to grid but off high rate grid rates to ev storage.
    Teslas powerwall is only 13.5 compared to Clarity 17kwh storage.
    The ioniq 5 holds 60+ kwh and has ability to run over 1200 watt loads for like house refrige backup or ?
    The elecric companies are suddenly very anti solar. IN SO CAL, i think they pay .04 kwh as you upload to grid and charge you .54 as you use to cool 4 to 9pm. I have been told you can not buy a house battery without solar.
    I could be wrong...it is the internet!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  17. Roy2001

Roy2001 Member

That's the best joke in this thread.

18. Friends of ours, in So Cal, recently had solar panels and a battery backup installed. They didn’t go with the Powerwall. I believe they went with the LG battery.

We’re in the process of doing a solar panel upgrade, a new roof has turned the solar project into more that a remove and reinstall. Our lead acid battery backup is still in excellent condition, so we’ve opted to keep that component the same for now. One of the 4 solar installers who we contacted, only installs the Tesla Powerwall. They informed us that the Powerwall cannot be charged from a backup generator. That’s a no go for us.

Storing cheap energy in a car battery is easy. Extracting that energy for a purpose other than propelling the car, can be a challenge. Some Clarity owners have connected a 1500W inverter to the 12V battery to act as a small backup generator. Unless you can connect the battery to a transfer switch and a sub-panel to power the house, it’s pretty much useless sitting in the car.

19. That report isn’t biased at all.

Ultimately, it’s a matter of opinion. In my opinion, it is the best of both worlds.

20. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

If you only use the Clarity's engine for a few minutes per year, then why on earth would you need a BEV with a 500+ mile range?

Cheers

21. Johngalt6146

I was waiting for someone to ask that. The reason is range anxiety. I know it's somewhat irrational, like height anxiety, but it's still there.

22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

23. BigBuckeye

BigBuckeye New Member