HV Range issue

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Kumar Ganapathy, Aug 3, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kumar Ganapathy

Kumar Ganapathy New Member

My Clarity Plug-In just started showing this issue. After a recent fill-up the HV Range which used to show 340 miles after fill up now stays stagnant at the last reported range of 260 miles prior to the fill-up. And the 260 mile range decreases after a few miles of driving. Tried a re-boot but that did not work. Any suggestions? Thanks, Kumar

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Drive it and see how far it actually goes on x number of gallons.

4. Carro con enchufe

Carro con enchufe Active Member

I posted about this issue a few years ago

5. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

I normally get about 260 miles of HV range on a fill-up. Sounds like your display is getting more accurate.

Your actual range will vary with driving conditions (speed, weather, hills, etc.)

The range drops after a few miles, because it shows remaining range, and you have used some of the gas (range).

6. Kumar Ganapathy

Kumar Ganapathy New Member

That is what I am doing now. I want to see if the range falls below zero as I keep driving.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

I find that I can go about 20 miles after the HV range hits zero (range does not go negative, but stays at zero).

BUT, I also find the last 100 miles of range disappears in about 80 miles: This means it is accurate at 100 miles remaining, but wrong at lower numbers...

Also, when the low fuel light comes on, I have about a gallon of gas left.

9. dnb

dnb Active Member

Mine has never gone above 42 or so. I drive basically 100% in EV mode (except when it over-charges on breaking so enables gas mode) except for a handful of road trips, but most of the time I get high 30s and only a few dozen times has it gone to 40+. I drive mostly 45-65 mph with little in-city / stop and go traffic.

I wish it got more and hope there isn't something wrong with my battery since I'm planning on purchasing it as the lease is up next month.

10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Perhaps you can ask if there's a fellow forum member near you who's spent the $20 for an OBDII dongle you can use to check your battery capacity.

11. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

These range issues are interesting. I had a 'system power' warning very early in my Clarity ownership (long and short of it was there was a software patch that allowed the Clarity to be more compatible with some public chargers). This error is scary but I was still able to drive. It did not reset itself-- easily -- had to go to dealer. I bought the car in late Sept 18. So I had them apply all the patches in like Oct 18. Anyway, my theory is that the newer software is much more accurate (and real) than what a lot of folks started with, and if they never patched they get the higher but less realistic estimates. i.e. people seeing 460 mi of HV range- guess what? That's *not* real.

You can even do the math yourself. I'm sure the 7 gal tank is ever so slightly bigger than 7, but lets call it 7. 7x35 mpg = 245, 7x40 = 280. You get the idea. If I'm driving like a bat out of hell, yep it will dip to ~35mpg even the car normally does better. But many is the time I get a full tank, and my HV range is 280 or fewer. And nope that isn't a mistake. The software load on my car is displaying reality. It also may be why some people say the GOM is unusable, and others like it (I like it). But my GOM isn't ever wildly inaccurate.

Although this thread is for HV range, I'll also say my particular Clarity now gets absolute best EV range of 45 these days under ideal conditions. For summer, I typically see 38-42 (and of course that goes down - for me to 26 mi in winter). I live on a hill that is 1600 feet above valley floor, and yep that impacts range.

[There are a few use-cases I know of, and appreciate where MPG can go higher than 40. For the purposes of this post I don't get into that. I'm also not including hyper-miling techniques as normal or even always possible. They have dependencies.]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rajiv Vaidyanathan

Rajiv Vaidyanathan Active Member

After reading some of the other responses, I now recall that the Clarity originally showed crazy ranges and after one of the patches was applied started showing more realistic ranges.

My clarity too shows an HV range of about 270 miles after a fill-up. So, I think this is actually the more correct number than the 300+ ranges you were getting earlier.

Dan Albrich likes this.
  14. Rajiv Vaidyanathan

Rajiv Vaidyanathan Active Member

15. cyberteen

cyberteen Member

Mine shows around 240 for HV too. When I got it a year back, it showed me around 300 easily. I need to actually fill it up and see how much it gives me using the trip meter.

16. d99

d99 Member

To me, the range on the car has always been good, but suspect. I have a 2018 PHEV, and live in a warm climate, no winters. For the first 25,000 miles, I drove 90% HV and 10% EV, all at reasonable speeds and elevations. The EV range was all over the place, from low 30's in cooler months to low 40's in summer. I NEVER saw anything near the advertised 47 miles of EV range. I kind of felt ripped off, and the dealer, although very polite, did not have additional insight.

For the past 6000 miles, I'm driving 80% EV and 20% HV. For the first time, I'm consistently seeing EV range of 45-52 miles (I don't know exactly what distance I'm actually getting) . I'm not driving any differently. I"m also seeing about 330 miles for HV in warmer months. Understood, today's readings are based on past driving.

I wouldn't dwell on any of this and try, like some of you to be doing endless comparisons. I wouldn't take any of this to the bank.

The only conclusion I would draw is that the car gets great mileage considering it's size and weight. It also drives better after it's freshly washed (HAHAH)