Deciding between ID.4 and Model 3? Help me decide!

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by NocEdit, Jun 28, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DAVID DRUMMOND

DAVID DRUMMOND New Member

Have you had any charging issues? We live in Arizona and of course it has been hot. We have had ours about 5 or 6 weeks and have had nothing but charging problems at the EA stations

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Is it just EA stations or do others give you problems? There was a thread in the Niro EV forum in 2019 (the Niro EV was pretty new and rare at that point) companioning a lot about EA. Folks there now seem to think EA is fine, making me wonder if there is some server software or charging station firmware/software thing that needs updating when a new model vehicle comes along.

DAVID DRUMMOND likes this.
  4. DAVID DRUMMOND

DAVID DRUMMOND New Member

Not sure yet. We have only gone to EA since it is basically free and about 3 miles from our house. There aren't any other fast chargers near us that we have found yet. The whole foods has a 50 kw charger that is supposed to be free while shopping. We may try that because it's less than a mile away. Today I went really early at 630 am because it was already 90 degrees out here in Arizona. These things don't like the heat at all apparently. Today it took me 1 hour and 3 minutes to charge from 6 percent to 99. I figured I might as well stay since it was going well and I had the time. At 38 percent it slowed down from 126 kW speed to about 90 which was disappointing. The first couple times it didn't do that until 50 percent. It was then 98 degrees out. At 43% it slowed down to 76 kw. I think it stayed about there until it was at about 70 percent, then it went to 50 kw, then 40s, and then 33 the last little bit. We will look into a home charger, but the whole part of the deal was that we would get free charging at this station and others instead of having to use our home electricity. It never said it was going to take an hour. They bragged about 38 minutes wow, but that was supposed to be to 80%, which today might have been close to 45 anyway. Better than most afternoons lately. Guess the key in the heat is to go at the crack of dawn. ugh .

5. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    You've covered all the bases but haven't mentioned driving or interior impressions. The Model 3 wont do Apple Car Play or Android Auto but if you're not a fan of those things it may not be a factor. Personally I like the free user updates about objects on the highway, accidents and temporary traffic conditions and maps that come on an app like Waze that will display on Apple Play or Android Auto for the hands free experience. The iD4 offers a few more manual buttons (check them in dim lighting) than the ever more minimalistic user interface Tesla is deploying. The size may be the biggest difference between the two. Once you check out the interiors a drive may help cement the decision. I consider the 3 and Sporty EV sedan and iD4 a _UV (choose your letter) which is more like the Y than the 3.

6. DelRider

DelRider Member

So true. FWIW, here in the mid-atlantic, dealer stock is moving quickly. I've been sniped out of a couple of deals because by the time I came close to deciding to go for it, the vehicle was gone. These were all MSRP deals, BTW. No dealer markups or discounts, very little incentive on dealer's part aside for additional consideration on the trade in.
    Also to add, I decided to go the VW reservation & build approach on a Pro-S AWD. The delivery date estimate is April 22, but there for sure will not be any dealer markup shenanigans and it will give me time to get my trade in valuation sorted out. For folks that do not need it 'today', I'd say consider that approach.

7. To remove this ad click here.