Volvo XC40 Recharge just shutting down in middle of driving

Discussion in 'XC40 Recharge' started by John Kim, Jul 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. John Kim

John Kim Member

This should be a new feature for Volvo XC40 Recharge, just random restart in middle of driving. Just glad that I was driving slowly without pilot assist, it could been much worst.

How can this be a safe car?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. John Kim

John Kim Member

Here is another reboot this time at ~1500 Miles less than 2 months. Taking my car in for service again on Monday.

4. JT Rock

JT Rock New Member

There is a known issue with maybe a handful of cars which have a bad Infotainment Head Unit (IHU) which can intermittently freeze and reboot. They were manufactured during the start of the chip shortage and it seems a few bad units got past Q.A. As you have noticed your car will operate perfectly fine without the infotainment or center map screen. The only safety issue is that you are taking videos while driving. You'll need to go to your dealer and demand that the IHU be replaced. The few people that have had this issue no longer experience it after the IHU has been replaced.

5. John Kim

John Kim Member

You sounds like marketing person from Volvo, how do you know IHU was caused and total number of people impacted is isolated to handful as you suggested?Have notice more than just few people complaining about same exact issue? And pilot assist disable middle of driving how that call safe?
    why don’t guy repurchase my car? Instead of going around try control PR nightmare pretending to another EV driver.

6. JT Rock

JT Rock New Member

I'm just another person like you, but who has read other forums about this exact issue. Fortunately for me, my XC40 hasn't experienced the intermittent IHU reboot. I feel your pain, but I had to call you out for making it sound like the same XC40 model that I own has a major safety issue when in reality it doesn't. And if my car eventually exhibits that particular issue, I know that it will be covered under warranty to get it replaced.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. John Kim

John Kim Member

Now car is stuck in charging state. I hope I can drive the car.

9. John Kim

John Kim Member

Car allowed me to drive even though it thinks that still charging and plugged in- is it safe? Let see if car will fix itself on next charge.

10. JT Rock

JT Rock New Member

Wow, I think you are really trying diss Volvo. I've replied about the charging status to your other threads (which span more than one forum site). The video that you've presented is the exact behavior that the car should be exhibiting according to the owners manual which is "Charge Completed".

11. John Kim

John Kim Member

You should actually try to read the manual before commenting, car is done with charging and cable is disconnected and yet it’s show charging and connected. Look at the color of charging port, it’s green and dashboard show “charging” not completed.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JT Rock

JT Rock New Member

Maybe you are reading the wrong manual. It clearly states that the Green means charging completed. Yours wasn't blinking green in the video:

upload_2021-8-8_16-1-31.png

14. John Kim

John Kim Member

You clearly don’t own a XC40 Recharge, when car is not charging charging port shows white light or done charging it’s show no light. When cable is disconnected it show white light. Green light always when in middle of charging.

15. JT Rock

JT Rock New Member

upload_2021-8-8_16-14-4.png

Attached Files:

16. John Kim

John Kim Member

So, You think that charging port stay lit green (5 hours and counting still green) regardless of charging status and still showing as charging and connected is normal- trolls.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  17. JT Rock

JT Rock New Member

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. The issue is with the dealer. They encounter all types of people and it is easier for them to send you away if the issue is not reproducible on the spot. That's understandable from their perspective.

I think there are several other members on the other forum site which needed to have contact with Volvo at a higher level. Maybe escalate the issue with Volvo support. Hopefully someone in the chain will have heard about the IHU issue and demand the dealer to comply.

18. John Kim

John Kim Member

Why do you have way more insight to technical detail that either Volvo or people worked on the system? Why don't know guy fix the SW instead of going around trying to control what people are saying about the car?

19. JT Rock

JT Rock New Member

False accusations, what about these?:
    1. You titled this thread "Volvo XC40 Recharge just shutting down in middle of driving". That is not correct and it eludes that the whole car just stops. When in reality, the infotainment screen just rebooted which is not the part of the actual car driving capabilities. It is a separate module from the car driving and it is safe for it to reboot while driving. If you choose to shoot video while driving, that is on you for making it unsafe.
    2. You also said "XC40 Recharge Stuck in Charging State". You even provided a video showing evidence that it was not stuck in the charging state. You are just human and made a mistake which nobody is blaming you for. (hey, I make lots of mistakes, but I will admit it if shown what is right)
    Here is where you are missing the point. I'm trying to help you and other owners. The tactics that you are using are getting you nowhere, right? If you want your car fixed, there are other ways of escalating issues rather than publicly dissing the Volvo name. I am a customer just like you. And it is our responsibility to provide consistent feedback to the company when problems arise. This promotes trust. Otherwise, all of "us" will start being ignored. The XC40 Recharge is in its infancy and there are a lot of things that need improvement. Let's not cloud that effort, and instead, provide truthful and accurate communication.

20. John Kim

John Kim Member

Ok, you just don’t like someone pointing out obvious flaw with XC40 Recharge such that you might have problems with resale value. I frankly don’t care about resale value. You make sounds like any of these problems are normal! I am pretty sure it’s normal for Volvo, I never had a car with these much problems in first 2 months less than 2000 miles on the car.
    Car dashboard shows animation as if charge is flowing and still green light is lit after 7 hours and showing “Charging”

21. John Kim

John Kim Member

Call it what you want, yes it is warning to those want to buy XC40 Recharge. It’s not small issues that you are trying to trivialize, AC stopped working, infotainment shutting down, charging port showing incorrect status, other people experience brake sensors problem ( so far I have not had this problem), pilot assist stopping. Why do company allow to sell products with this much problems?

22. SkyShotEV

SkyShotEV Member

Not certain the state where you reside, but it may be worth a check into your lemon laws, particularly with recurring or unresolved issues or concerns if safety is involved. My budget wouldn't allow me to go with my DD with diminished peace of mind. Wish you well with your efforts.

23. John Kim

John Kim Member

Volvo confirmed it's problem with IHU causing this problem and few other electronic problems. And today dealer replaced the IHU, but sadly issue didn't get fix.

Also, Volvo is aware of Air Condition issues with compressor on Volvo XC 40 Recharge- they are not sure how to fix it.

At ~80 miles infotainment system got stuck in reloading screen and got reset to factory default and lost driver side navigation view.
    At~120 miles stuck in “Guest profile” and requires full reload of Software.
    At ~580 miles AC stopped working.
    At~640 miles, looks like June update happen to car and YouTube music and few other apps stop working.
    At ~740 miles just shut down and restarted in middle of driving.
    At ~1140 miles shut down and restarted in middle of driving again.
    At ~1500 miles shut down again.
    At ~1800 miles charging port stuck in Green.
    At ~2220 miles IHU replaced, AC issue is not fixed. Volvo think that replacing IHU will fix the Air Condition.
    At ~2250 miles same day that IHU was replaced reboot again.