Paint issue with New ID4 Pro S

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Raja Nathan, Jul 26, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Raja Nathan

Raja Nathan New Member

Hello all,
    We bought a new ID4 pro s from Douglass VW dealer at Bryan, TX a week back. Two day after I found something stuck(size of a wheat grain)on the painted area just above the front windshield. Service manager at the VW dealership looked at it and said while manufacturing something got stuck and it got painted on it accidently, he was surprised how it passed the inspection at VW and at the Dealership as well. Now to fix it body shop requires to remove the windshield, moon roof glass and etc.. I don’t want to go through the repair process with the new car. I am also concerned that this car was not inspected correctly and may have more issues. So I have asked for the replacement, but dealer refused and advised me to go through the VW Warranty claim process. Does anyone having similar issues with the new ID4 and appreciate any advice. I am hoping VW will replace the car.
    thank you

SkyShotEV and Domenick like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Watching thread*
    I know it's a potentially big issue, considering the number of things they may need to do to fix this mistake, but I'd be very surprised if VW replaced the car with an unblemished one. Hope I can be proven wrong because swapping would indicate top-level customer service.

Also, please feel free to share a pic of the paint imperfection. Curious to see it in relation to windshield and sun roof (or moon roof, if you prefer :)).

4. SkyShotEV

SkyShotEV Member

Kudo's on the eyeball...meticulous! Tsk tsk for local dealership to push back. Dittos, please share additional details and by all means stick with the effort, escalate if necessary.

5. Raja Nathan

Raja Nathan New Member

The first three pictures are as-is came with the car.

The fourth one is after it was removed by the dealership body shop manager.

Sorry if it is too much of information, I bought this car from Douglass VW which is 3 hr drive from my place. When I told them about this issue, they said they cant do anything about it and asked me to go to the local VW dealer to make the warranty claim. Service manager at the local VW was very surprised and said this should haven’t gone to the customer, VW inspection or Dealer should have catch it, because it is very visible from outside.

Douglass VW Sales manager told me warranty is for this purpose to fix the manufacturing defects. I told him this is similar to selling the hail damaged car, you don’t sell as brand new and also selling with the big discount.

Thank you in advance, Can you all please explain me how does the problem I am having compared to the other manufacturing defects. I am not sure if the dealer knew about this issue before selling to me, if so why they would do it.

Also logged this case with VW customer care, they are going to assign a regional case manager and asked me to take the car to the dealership on 8/4 to investigate it.

thumbnail_image2.jpg thumbnail_image3.jpg thumbnail_image4.jpg thumbnail_image0.jpg

Domenick, electriceddy and SkyShotEV like this.
  6. SkyShotEV

SkyShotEV Member

Cant do anything or won't? I think that with the number of QC steps (including dealer prep) involved someone more than likely caught this issue and just let it go, cutting corners in my book is just not a good sign. In some states, issues impacting safety or value for example can be raised in lemon laws. Perhaps you may be required to have them go the entire repair and restore route certifying "as new" status. VW should save face, evaluate the costs and either correct or replace. Based on the Region mgr, this would be an excellent choice to become a dealership test drive vehicle. Good luck with your efforts!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Even I could do a better touch up job than that.
    I would take it to a body shop of your choice, let them buff it out, blend it with touch up paint (of course the dealer did give you a free touch up paint stick I hope - something I always get them to throw in when purchasing).
    Then present the bill to the dealer.;)

9. Thanks! Nothing like seeing actual pics. Now I can see what you mean about its proximity to the windshield and sun/moon roof. And definitely not giving too much information. details are important! :)
    I think this is an odd situation with how it compares to other manufacturing defects. It's small, but it might take an fair amount of effort to fix.

Keep us updated how it goes.

10. dcisive

dcisive New Member

A simple visit to a competent body shop (other than the one you went to) could easily make that virtually go away easily. That just requires a simple fill in and airbrush and polish. No problem. If it's going to bother you surely go this route and your problem will disappear.

Raja Nathan and Domenick like this.