Not a good sign for Ioniq 5

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by miatadan, Jun 21, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

" Hyundai Ioniq 5 Recall On The Horizon Due To Coolant Leaks? "

Hyundai Ioniq 5 Recall On The Horizon Due To Coolant Leaks? (insideevs.com)

With this problem already, it is good thing I cancelled order for the Ioniq 5 plus all the issues I have read about in the forums re: Hyundai Kona.

Maybe Tesla gets discussed a lot for poor paint, body gaps etc but no complaints re: battery, electric motor or other drivetrain issues.

Most likely the most reliable EV's will be the Toyota bZ4X / Subaru Solterra. Also no major issues from VW group as well VW, Audi etron models and Porsche Taycan.

Seems many models being released late fall to spring 2022 may be better to wait to order EV vehicle.

Dan

Tony S likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Yeah, the odds of me moving forward with my pre-order are very low. No loss since my 2021 Kona EV is running very well. Maybe the next model year of the I5 will have a rear wiper and have the bugs ironed out. Hyundai ... are you listening to your customers???

electriceddy likes this.
  4. SkyShotEV

SkyShotEV Member

You think? Good question though and it's been months since BTS Hyundai/KIA commercials while BTS press onwards with Samsung products. Time will tell but a fairly good measure will be home (Korean) customers reaction, currently I think they are not very happy campers at the moment.

5. miatadan

Even though Hyundai/Kia has never been my favourite brands, I hope they resolve the issues with battery ( Kona Electric ) and now Ioniq 5 as they took EV's seriously.

Dan

ericy likes this.
  6. Let's not overspeculate, folks. That insideevs article is essentially just reporting the UPI report that has been floating around for a few daysish. We have no idea how common the problem is, nor how severe, nor any indication of the details of Hyundai's response. That said, there's every reason at this stage to think this is just early teething problems for a new model (which happens frequently) and not an indication of poor quality (we'll get a better sense for quality once there are more on the roads and we see more reviews).

I also wouldn't worry too much about the Kona thing: It's a massive undertaking in literally the worst circumstances to attempt such a thing since the technology was invented. Let's not forget the crippling supply chain problems that forced them to reduce production projections not to mention driven the prices of all manner of goods through the roof.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Nevermore4

Nevermore4 New Member

West coast US, got an email from local dealer that they are 30 days out from Ioniq 5 on the ground. Still no price and I got no guarantee from the dealer they wouldn't jack up the price for 'shortage' excuse. I would take the risk on the first generation but not for an extra 5-10k. Seems like zero purpose in the $100 deposit to Hyundai when you're not really dealing with them.

NRH, SkyShotEV and electriceddy like this.
  9. At least it's only 100 bucks, in Canada, that deposit is $500 - with the same unknown (pricing coming soon), also a disclaimer stating:" specifications, equipment and options are subject to change without notice"... I think I will wait on this one.

ScubaSteve and SkyShotEV like this.
  10. SkyShotEV

SkyShotEV Member

Am with you both, west coast also here and 5-10 k would exceed my budget, particularly since 30 days means the product potentially arrives with required recall work and according to a couple of master technicians, wide certification on the platform is still "in progress". I ruled out the EV6 and wouldn't mind passing up the FE HI5 to those who have higher confidence in the company so remain a bit skeptical due to what some consider the lack of (or reduced at best) communications out of Hyundai and Kia. Since there has been no publicized "winter" testing I think waiting out may also provide engineers time to reconsider improving technology or offerings like heat pumps and rear wipers for those driving in inclement or less than moderate climate conditions.

electriceddy and ScubaSteve like this.
  11. Mark Richards

Mark Richards Member

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mark Richards

Mark Richards Member

I wouldn't consider buying a Toyota EV at all. Their continued stance on BEVs being unwise means they won't have their hearts in it. Probably will do a half way job. So I'll pass

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It looks like Toyota found some heart when they designed the 300-hp RAV4 Prime PHEV. Perhaps when you someday pass on a Toyota EV it won't be because Toyota is heartless, but because heartless dealers are gouging eager buyers with $10K mark-ups as they're now doing with the RAV4 Prime.

miatadan likes this.
  15. miatadan

There is no vehicle worth paying mark-ups over retail.

Dan

16. insightman

"Worth" doesn't take into account ego, status, and excess disposable income.

17. I haven't trusted Toyota since their cover-up scandal and $billion+ settlement in 2010-2011. I've owned a couple of Toyotas, and they used to make some of the best, highest quality cars. I will probably never buy another one, though.

18. miatadan

What scandal and $billion+ settlement 2010-11?

19. miatadan likes this.
  20. Kebec53

Kebec53 New Member

I guess Rav4Prime top trim + $10K mark-up will be in the Ioniq 5 Ultimate price territory. No brainer to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

insightman likes this.
  21. insightman

Are you factoring in a cheeky dealer markup on the Ioniq 5?

22. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Every car company, or at least a lot of them, has had its share of f***-ups and scandals. Hyundai hasn't exactly covered itself in glory with its handling of Kona battery issues, but I don't know that they're worse than others. Early reviews of the Ioniq5 seem very positive.

23. Mark Richards

Mark Richards Member