Best Economy Settings 2021 Prime SE

Discussion in 'Rav4 Prime' started by KonaScot, Jul 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

I just took delivery of a Prime SE yesterday. We are very "up" on EV features and driving, owning a Hyundai Kona EV for the last 1 1/2 years. But, a hybrid has other choices over an EV alone, and therein lies my question.

I see that in the Prime we have EV and HV settings (HV recommended to highway travel). There is also Auto EV/HV. And, there's ECO and Normal and Sport.

My plan would be to use EV around town (most of our driving), and HV for highway trips. ECO seems fine, it certainly is peppy enough for us in the Hyundai with quite fast acceleration for getting up to speed and around potential dangers.

(1) While individual choices may make the biggest difference, I note that many Hyundai drivers are fine with ECO....is there any rough consensus about using ECO v. Normal in the Prime taking drivability and economy into account?

(2) When is Auto EV/HV useful? Is EV in the Prime dodgy enough that more pep is needed through the gas engine supplement? Does it cut effective mileage to use Auto EV/HV over EV? What does AutoEV/HV get me over straight HV on the highway, if anything?

Thanks for your thoughts. So far, we're very excited about this car getting us into places with little or no charging infrastructure at present while providing local EV-only driving and good mileage on longer trips.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. papab

papab Member

It looks like you need to do some testing and let us know.
    As a prospective owner, something I'd like to know, can I drive 18 miles, up 3500 ft, and back on battery?

4. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

Rav4World.com has the answers.