KIA EV6 Reveal!

Discussion in 'Kia EV6' started by Domenick, Mar 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. @Domenick are there details on features, as compared to the Ioniq 5? That's a very interesting comparison. Discounting the GT trim, which the I5 lacks, it sounds like they have very similar technical specs (which would make sense considering they're almost certainly the same basic car in terms of their engineering). The EV6's charging is a bit faster (My guess is that is merely a software thing. One wonders if perhaps Hyundai might tweak their charging curve to match at some point). The Ioniq 5 has the whole AR HUD thing (though we lack detail on that), which is pretty cool.

At the moment, the fight between them in my mind is mostly over aesthetics. In my opinion, the Ioniq 5 has the more interesting exterior (I particularly dislike the EV6's rear end and wraparound lightbar), but the EV6 has a more interesting interior (Because there are more physical bits and shapes).

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

There probably weren't any Teslas available so they just used whatever cars were around for this drag-race video.

4. That's actually pretty interesting, because based on the specs, it looks like the really differentiated configuration of the EV6 is the GT trim. The LR AWD config, for instance, has the same performance numbers as the I5 (if my memory serves). And if it makes you feel better, I think it would be rather mad to describe the I5 as sober (First because of it's exterior aesthetics, and secondly because 0-60 in 5.2 is still *really fast*. Like, almost all of these mature EVs coming out are basically supercars ten or twenty years ago. That's nothing to sneeze at)

Domenick likes this.
  5. They're like supercars, but with room for more of your friends!

Fastnf and elfrocampeador like this.
  6. Dieter

Dieter New Member

If the AR HUD is standard, the RWD will probably be my first EV. Fantastic looking car, and price looks decent.

Domenick likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. TimD

TimD New Member

Kia has announced its U.S. introduction of the EV6 on their homepage, set for May 18th at 5pm PST (not sure why they didn't state the time as PDT): https://www.kia.com/us/en

Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 3.00.14 PM.png

Kendalf and Domenick like this.
  9. salant76

salant76 Member

Seem strange to place a shadow on the vehicle. We already know what it looks like. It will be very interesting to see what the pricing and options will look like on the US version.

Kendalf and Domenick like this.
  10. I am excited by the 77 kWh battery option relative to the Niro, but what I don't have is motor-to-miles efficiency. The Ioniq 55 kWh battery scaled up to 77 kWh only boosts their claimed range to the acceptable, but not impressive, Niro's 240 miles. Longer range is one of my chief incentives to consider a new car and this may not provide it. The Niro's is slightly annoying, but not crippling.

Domenick likes this.
  11. We don't have any real world numbers for the EV6, but based on first drive videos for the Ioniq 5, the 77kwh battery versions of the EV6 and Ioniq 5 (Sharing the same basic engineering) should approach or exceed 300 miles (RWD, 19" wheels). We also have indications that the range cost for AWD should only be ~10-15 miles (Because it's a part time system, it disengages when it isn't needed. Quite clever, really)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ITown

ITown Active Member

Bjorn Nyland has a short-ish review of the EV6 up now:

miatadan and Domenick like this.
  14. Tony S

Tony S Active Member

I think Kia went for style over function. They sacrificed headroom and cramped interior (even though EV6 has a long wheelbase). These narrow side windows make you feel like sitting in a tank. I was rooting for the EV6 ….. .

Raleigh Ron likes this.
  15. ITown

ITown Active Member

Yeah, I'm a fan of the exterior styling. Definitely haven't written the car off, but the review did make me a bit less likely to buy one.

Domenick likes this.
  16. Richard Boswell

Richard Boswell New Member

I find the mileage interesting. I have the Niro EV and have driven it for 2 years. I am getting around 280 miles on a full charge, perhaps because I drive it in econo mode, it only drops down to 239 when I put it in sport.

17. ITown

ITown Active Member

Yeah, the question I have is if the 300 miles will be optimistic like the Tesla range or pessimistic/realistic like the Niro EV range.

Richard Boswell likes this.
  18. Raleigh Ron

Raleigh Ron Member

Isn't it unusual for the charge port to be at the back of the car - just above the rear bumper? Looks like it could easily get damaged if someone backed into the corner of your car in a parking lot.

Some folks have complained about placement of the Hyundai Ioniq 5's charge port in the extreme rear side panel, but Tesla does this too, and I've heard no accident reports from Tesla owners about damaged charge ports, so perhaps I'm worrying over nothing?

19. ITown

ITown Active Member

The Niro and Kona EV's both placed the charge port in the front of the car. I had some concern that it might be a liability in case I had an accident. So far, no accident, so I can't really assess the validity of this concern. But I would hazard a guess that a rear-side accident is less likely than a front-side one.

My big issue with the charge port in the back is that I'd rather not be required to reverse into parking spots in order to charge.

20. Since I wrote this I took a longish road trip (Bay Area to Portland, OR and the not Salem) . I am now far more comfortable (as in less stressed) with the Niro's range however I stand by the "annoying but not crippling" comment...especially in Southern Oregon I-5, where there seems to be a paucity of public fast chargers and mostly of the 24 kW variety (and some out of order for extended periods, going by the comments in the Chargepoint app, and substantiated by my own experience). On a full charge from Salem (my hotel, unadvertised, had a complimentary Level 2 charger in the lot!) I still had to stop at one of these 24 kW chargers for a bit to. ensure I would make it to the next REAL fast charger (62.5 kW claimed) just over the California border. After about 3 minutes at 50 kW the Niro ramped up admirably to about 59 kW until I hit around 70% and a limiter cut on in the vehicle. The other DC chargers I used claimed 50 kW and topped out around 45 kW in practice.

Domenick likes this.
  21. ITown

ITown Active Member

Sounds right to me. I think a lot of vehicles have that issue (charge around 45 kw at 50 kw chargers).

Driving to Oregon is definitely something I'd be hesitant to do with the Niro - or any non Tesla for that matter. (I assume Tesla's network has better coverage out there?)

22. I-5 "DC corridor" worked out pretty well until I crossed into Oregon. Then it was just less convenient, but not impossible. I just did a quick scope out of the route to LA, and that looks easy, especially now that I have a somewhat more informed awareness of different charging networks and how some DC charging stations are just 24 kW capacity and some are 50 kW, and a rare few are higher. There are more and more Bolts and what not out there every month, and I bet we start seeing more 72 kW chargers too!

If you are comfortable stopping for the better part of an hour out of every 3-4 and chilling with a book and a snack or meal it really is not a problem. During planning for this trip, I plotted charging stops ~150 miles playing it safe..but then I became far more comfortable taking the charge down below 30% and even 20% and realized I could go a lot further (of course this varies with terrain and driving speed!).I also did not have a hard deadline like *must arrive in Portland no later than 9PM on the first day* etc. Challenge yourself and give a long road trip a try, and see how it feels.

23. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Active Member

I am very curious to hear about things like which seats are available heated, whether the steering wheel is heated, whether a heat pump is available, and about the solar roof - if it is like the Hyundai Ioniq 5?