Kona Won't Charge | Suspect ambient air temps too high

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Yellerledbetty, Jul 4, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hey All,

Have a head-scratcher of a problem here. We are in BC and were under that 'temperature dome' that has some insane heat over the past week (47 degrees Celsius) but things have mellowed now and are about 10 degrees Celsius cooler. Last week during the peak of the heat wave wife got an error message related to temp of car/battery too high to operate (sor something similar). This week we cannot get car to charge from the 12A setting on the stock charger when running from the house. We are getting the following on-screen (charger) error messages (manual excerpt attached below):

"-CHARGE - Blink : Charging In power saving mode, only the CHARGE indicator is illuminated."
    "-PLUG - Blink : Plug high temperature warning."

Car is outside (no garage) and gets afternoon sun but it's never been an issue before (but it's also never been as hot as it was last week). Trying to eliminate any issues related to power supply from house, different plugs, different extension cord to charger, etc. (all of which has worked fine up until this past week) before calling dealer tomo. Anyone with Exp., here?

TIA!

BP

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      75 KB
      Views:
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I think you're right.
    From memory there's an upper and a lower temperature limit for charging (and discharging) the battery. It might be 35 deg. C at the top end (somebody?).

We regularly get 40+ deg. C. days here in Oz during summer too, so I've wondered for a while if the cooling system would be effective once the ambient temperature got above 35 deg. C. If you have an OBD2 bluetooth dongle and a suitable app on your phone, you could check the average pack temp and the inlet temp to see what's happening. Keep in mind that inside the car could 55+ deg. C if it's been in the sun on a 40+ deg. day.
    It's the one aspect of ICE cars that works for them. Ambient temp below 90 deg. C and they're ok.

I wish you every bit of good luck with the weather and the fires (we saw Lytton). Over here we know just how utterly devastating it can be.

Danhen and Yellerledbetty like this.
  4. Wow, that's strange.

I've lived in Las Vegas and now New Mexico. I've even DC quick charged in 40°C temperatures without issues. But then these usually have water cooled cables.

Maybe try the damp cloth around the connector trick that Kyle from Out of Spec YouTube channel used on Tesla charger handles to cool the handle.

(Water shouldn't be an issue, I've charged in torrential downpours and snow storms)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    Danhen and Yellerledbetty like this.
  5. It could be temperature as mentioned. With the fires they seem to have limited the max temp as I have possibly observed here:

Yellerledbetty likes this.
  6. If the EVSE plug has a temp sensor inside it might be too hot. Even just being "warm" might be too much. Not sure if this applies to N. America but rest-of-the-world EVSEs have this for those that can pull the full receptacle rating.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Thanks for the info. I looked high and low for min/max operation temps but could only find a low temp of -35C that might start to impact operation. I'll see what I can determine by talking w/ dealer tomo.

Lytton was insane, 49.7 degrees the day before 90% of the town burned down. Watching the news (twitter) this evening apparently the authorities stopped a freight train that was a couple hours south of Lytton on the day of the fire - That might have been the cause but CN Rail is looking into it. Crazy times.

KiwiME likes this.
  9. Thanks for the YouTube suggestion.. I'll see what I can do with shading (car faces east in afternoon and is partially shaded by tree) and call Hyundai. Cheers

Esprit1st likes this.
  10. eurokeitai

eurokeitai New Member

It does exactly what it says on the tin. The plug of the EVSE that connects to the wall is too hot, or the temperature sensor inside it is broken and the EVSE just think's the plug is too hot.

Danhen and Ginginova like this.