2022 Kona EV - Any More Details?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Toolworker, May 8, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. It's not North America. It's the U.S. Although bloat has certainly been seeping into Canada more and more too.

Toolworker likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

So you would give up the new sound insulation (which apparently includes a thicker windshield) in the 22's to get the HUD?

I don't mean to suggest you are wrong. The reason I'm asking is because I'm between a '21 and '22 myself, and I would like to have the HUD, the additional soundproofing, and the body colored fender flares (as well as the front parking sensors and heat pump, which I'm not expecting to be added for '22 here in the U.S.)

Is everything the HUD displays duplicated elsewhere on the dashboard/infotainment screen? As much as I like the HUD (I have it on another current vehicle), sounds like it might be the easiest item for me to go without.

Of course everything being equal I should be able to make a better deal on a
    '21 versus '22 (and we still don't know when the '22's will be released to dealers.)

4. The other thing on the HUD besides the speed is the next navigation turn. Someone else will know if it's on the dash, absent a HUD. It ought to be.

If there were a '21 and '22 next to each other on the lot today, I might consider paying up for the '22. In addition to the soundproofing, the new instrument panel looks neat, and it would have more resale value both for newness and rarity.

However. I don't know what other options will be missing from the '22s. On the 21's, Ultimates are the only way to get rain-sensing wipers and smart cruise control. I don't know when '22s will be available, there might be very few when they do, and dealers are unlikely to discount.

And the price difference may be huge. The '21s are selling slowly. There's $3,000 cash back with financing (that can be paid off in three months) on them. I could probably get a few thousand more off if I buy by the end of the month. There's still a choice of the colors I would want, although those are selling faster. And I'm in a buyback situation, so will have to replace my '20 Kona EV by around the end of July.

Danhen likes this.
  5. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

I'm pretty much in the same place you are, except I don't have an existing Kona to resolve. And no problem with me waiting for the '22's if I need to.

Also the '21 Niro EV's are starting to arrive at dealers. Overall I do like the Kona more, but Niro's with the heat bump can be had here, and the unlike the '20 Niro's, the 21's can be heated and cooled via the smartphone app. Think that and the heat pump are two things I would get good use out of of. So for me there's no "perfect" solution.

Thanks.

6. Just speculating: While we wait for the 2022 Kona EV U.S. specs, will the specs for the ICE trim levels tell us anything?

Here are features that are only on the Ultimates on the 2021 EVs, and whether they are available on the 2022 Kona ICE trims:

Standard on 2022 Kona ICE Limited:
    • Parking Distance Warning – Reverse
    • Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist with Pedestrian Detection
    • 10.25-inch color touchscreen
    • Blue Link Guidance (3-year complimentary)
    • Smart Cruise Control with Stop & Go
    Unavailable on any 2022 Kona ICE:
    • Heads-up Display
    • Rain-sensing windshield wipers
    • Ventilated front seats

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Think it may be more than speculation...more like a strong hint.

Kia Niro EV anyone? :) Not perfect, but you can get a heat pump, and for '21 (just arriving at U.S. dealers now) you can start the heat and A/C with the smartphone app.

I do like the styling of the Kona better, but I don't hate the Niro.

Clamps likes this.
  9. The KBB website says the 2022 Kona EV does have rain-sensing wipers. So the only thing missing that I care about is the HUD. If only I could buy one now ...

At a quick glance, the '21 Niro EX Premium lacks:
    • Cornering lamps (amazing how useful these are to my old eyes)
    • Homelink (can't believe they are so tone-deaf to omit this)
    • HUD
    • Rain-sensing wipers

10. Ken J

Ken J New Member

Here's an email exchange with Hyundai Customer Care on the 2022 Kona EV release date question:
    6/21
    Hyundai Customer Care,
    Spring 2021 has come and gone, and still no sign of the 2022 Kona EV in the USA, even though your web site still says "The new 2022 KONA Electric Arriving Spring 2021." I am beginning to suspect that the updated model is not going to be released here. If it is indeed coming to the US, can you give me any information as to when it will be released? If Hyundai doesn't come up with a believable availability date soon I am going to have to cross Hyundai off my list of options for a new car.
    By the way, the web address that you referred me to in your last email doesn't exist on your web site.
    Thank you,

6/25
    Dear ,
    Thank you for contacting Hyundai Customer Care. We appreciate the opportunity to hear from our customers and are always excited to talk about our vehicles.
    Information regarding the Hyundai 2022 Kona EV , its release date and features, has yet to be announced. We encourage you to visit our website www.HyundaiUSA.com, where you can learn more about upcoming and new released vehicles and sign up to receive updates, news, and special offers via email.
    Thank you for being a valued member of our Hyundai Family.
    Respectfully,
    Hyundai Customer Care

6/25
    Hyundai Customer Care,
    If the release date and features have yet to be announced, why do you have this page for the 2022 Kona EV on your USA web site:
    https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicles/2022-kona-electric
    I consider this to be a bait-and-switch tactic aimed at getting customers to go to your dealers where they can be steered into buying something from your 2021 inventory.
    Your lack of responsibility in this matter has convinced me to go to another car-maker for a new EV - the new Chevy Bolt EUV is looking attractive. It's too bad because we really liked the Hyundai Sonata that we purchased several years ago.
    Respectfully,

What do you think. Feature-wise the Kona and Bolt EUV are not too different: The EUV is larger and you can get the Premier version with a sun roof for about $6K less than a 2021 Kona Ultimate EV. You don't get the Federal rebate with the Bolt but Chevy will pay for a level 2 charger installation.

11. "We appreciate the opportunity to hear from our customers and are always excited to talk about our vehicles."

Not THAT excited apparently. ;)

Clamps likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Save your breath. I tried asking them why every monthly status report has a link to the 2020 EV Owner's Manual, but after ten clicks or so it's not posted. If you have a specific problem they can open a case. If you're just bothered about something, Hyundai Customer Don't Care.

The first U.S. 2022 Kona EVs are physically held in the U.S. port, we assume until the 2021 inventory sells down. Dealers can see their allocated cars in the system but not the stickers or pricing.

They are being delivered outside North America. I had some specific questions about them, so started this thread to get answers from 2022 owners - from New Zealand as it turns out.

14. Ken J

Ken J New Member

I realize this is off topic but I wonder if all dealerships have gotten as crazy as this. I decided to look at buying a new Bolt EUV from Chevy. I selected the options and colors that I wanted in their on-line configurator. No dealerships around me had what I wanted, so I decided to request a custom order, and it sent my info to a local dealer. A few minutes after someone from the dealership called me. They didn't have a match in stock, and they were not going to order any stock at all with the interior grey color that I wanted. I told him that I didn't want a black interior, and that was the end of the conversation. No offer to create a custom order. Apparently you can get any color interior you want as long as it's black.

electriceddy likes this.
  15. I was looking at purchasing a Bolt (before 2018 Kona EV came out) and had that exact same issue with the local dealer as well. I guess they pre ordered their proportional share and wouldn't budge. Well that saved me a lot of $ in the end and have been happy with the local Hyundai dealership service and sales included.
    If you desire that grey interior, I am sure another (more respectable and conscientious) dealer will be happy to help you fulfill that order.
    There is a Bolt thread in this forum, perhaps a read there might help you find one not too far out of your way.
    I might add... my first EV (13 Leaf) I had to order and p/u from Vancouver Nissan dealer as the same thing occurred as well. They paid for the ferry, and picked me up at the terminal, and there it was - just like I ordered it (ppwk all done -out in 20 minutes), inside on the weather protected sales floor with a blue ribbon around it:)

mho likes this.
  16. Ken J

Ken J New Member

Hyundai has finally updated their website to say that the 2022 KONA EV is arriving Summer 2021. Any takers on whether they will be updating that time frame to Fall 2021 before we get a chance to buy one?

Wildeyed and Toolworker like this.
  17. Hey, there's not even a mention that it even exists on the Canadian site. Be happy with your false promises!

18. New 2021s are still arriving at dealerships here in the Bay Area. Don't hold your breath.

19. Hyundai has released the 2022 in Canada, and the configurations are up on their website.

Canada dropped the bottom trim, keeping Preferred and Ultimate. Canada continues to get features not available in the U.S. like forward parking alert and heat pump, and keeps the heads-up display. And the price drops $3,000 CDN for the Preferred and $4,000 for the Ultimate.

This goes in the opposite direction from what's been indicated for the U.S. Here, press coverage and the colors and features list I posted in another thread show the Ultimate disappearing along with the heads-up display. But it looks like the U.S. 2022 Limited will keep almost all the features from the 2021 Ultimate.

20. thor

thor New Member

21. Shark

Shark Active Member

Is that true in the United States?

22. thor

thor New Member

don't know but I suspect it would be the same for all models in 2022 at least.

23. Shark

Shark Active Member

We do know in the past the heat pump was not available in the U.S. while at the same time being available (maybe even standard?) in Canada.