Assistance with purchasing a used EV

Discussion in 'General' started by Justin Sharp, Jun 28, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Justin Sharp

Justin Sharp New Member

I am looking getting a cheap (under $6k) EV car. I want to drive the cheap one for about 1 yearish, before I jump in with both feet on a new EV. I would like something that can do Level 2 charging, and has a range of 70-80 miles. Would you recommend a Leaf or something else? Also how many miles on a battery until the battery goes bad? Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

You might consider a BMW i3 as there are rumors it is being discontinued. I found an eBay, 2014 for $15,000 but I suspect the price is softer.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

If you can find one, a Chevy Spark EV might be worth looking at. I have a friend who found one and she loves it.

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Leaf is a solid choice. I have a 2013 with three bars missing and 70 K mileage. My effective range (mostly urban driving in So Cal) is about 70 miles. If you're living in a real hot climate like Phoenix or Vegas you might want to look at other some other options. Kia Soul might work well for you.

6. Justin Sharp

Justin Sharp New Member

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about battery life on 10 year old battery. If Leaf can do around 70 miles after 10 years/70K then that would work, my commute is 40 miles round trip half freeway and half city. I just don't want be running on static electricity :) the last few miles.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Justin Sharp

Justin Sharp New Member

Thanks I forgot about the spark. How slowly does the battery life depredate? I was reading about 25% for about 10 years (2.5% per/year), does that sound about right?

9. Shelly

Shelly New Member

10. Shelly

Shelly New Member

You should be fine, however every battery is different and when you get to that level of degradation you have to be careful.Check out myNissanleaf.com. Lots of helpful info.