Does anyone know if 2021 has battery issues

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Sue, Jun 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sue

Sue New Member

I just traded my 2019 in for a 2021 to avoid the hassle of paperwork and waiting and 80% capacity, etc. Just saw news article of a fire of an out of recall Kona EV. So now, I am thinking I may have made a mistake. But I love my Kona EV, its the perfect car for my needs, ex-catching fire of course. Really hope my new one is ok.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

I have a 2021 Kona EV received in September 2020. To date, there are no known battery issues. I am aware of the recent fire but there aren't any details on when it was manufactured nor what factory the battery came from, whether it was under a recall or not. If it was under a recall, no information as to whether any action was taken. Without facts, it's difficult to say go ahead or forget about it. I have no concerns at all about my 2021 Kona EV's safety.

FinYang likes this.
  4. I did the same thing back in October and have been really happy with the newer model. It definitely has a better build quality than the 2018 and has had zero issues so far. I hope they gave you a good trade in value.
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/post-pics-of-your-kona.6276/page-6#post-113151
    On the new car, I have not enabled telematics (no Bluelink). I had a couple of "hung commands" on the old car and just about killed the 12V battery, if I really want it Bluelink can be added at any time in the future for the free 3 years.
    Also not updated the Nav system which I strongly advise - keep the 3 screen display, here is a thread worth reading:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/2020-2021-10-25-inch-avn-unit-update.9951/
    Congratulations on the new model and enjoy.;)

mho likes this.