Can I Import a Kona EV from Canada to the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Danhen, Jun 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Disappointed there are a number of a number of features/options available to Canadian buyers that we can't get here in the U.S., so I've been looking to see just how complicated importing a car from a Canadian dealer might be.

I've read at least some cars sold in Canada will have a sticker on the door jamb stating something like the vehicle meets Federal and/or EPA standards, just as cars going to U.S. dealers do. If that's the case, importing a car should be relatively easy.

Would very much appreciate it if one of the Canadian forum members might be able to check for me to see if there car has such a sticker.

Much thanks in advance for your help.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Picture of the stickers as requested:
    [​IMG]
    and the tire sticker:
    [​IMG]
    The first one has a Canada Transport Certification, this is probably the one to inquire about. It is probably possible if you go through a sequence with Government regulations, I would though check with Hyundai to verify warranty issues will not surface....good luck;)
    Sorry about the quality...cheap old phone (somewhat reminiscent of myself)

4. Hmmm. What would happen with Bluelink? What data carrier is used in Canada, and would it continue to work in the USA?

While I am thinking of it, what if a Canadian Kona EV just drives to the US? Would Bluelink work during the tourist trip? Does the car 'roam'?

Although, based upon the lack of level 3 CCS chargers in northern Maine (Bangor ....plans... to get 1 installed this summer), I wont be driving to the States from NB in an EV yet. I95 has Tesla chargers halfway but otherwise its a desert till you reach more southern Maine.

5. It is glitchy at best in Canada, definitely not one of the "features/options" worthy of importing. Good question on the roaming, guess we will have to find out - eventually:rolleyes:

6. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Appreciate the responses. Sounds like it's "doable", but the questions on the warranty and Bluelink are good ones.

The door jamb sticker is not what I had hoped, but I read all I need to get is a letter from Hyundai indicating the car meets all U.S. safety and pollution regs (which I believe it does). What I read is that getting such a letter is nothing unusual as owners routinely relocate from Canada to the U.S. (at least pre-Covid).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Interesting question. I like my US 2019 Kona, but am intrigued by the idea of getting one with the heat pump.

9. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Yeah, in central Vermont I can imagine it would be significant.

10. We also get the parking sensors, front and back and battery warmer;)

11. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

We do now get the battery warmer in the U.S. but for some reason no front sensors.

12. To remove this ad click here.