What's going on Hyundai?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by apu, Jun 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Fastnf likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. So why do Korean cars get recalled, US customers get buybacks for the same reason, and here in Canada we get shafted with no opportunity for a buyback and no communication at all from Hyundai? I’ve really lost faith in Hyundai. At this point, I can’t sell or trade the car because the market value for them is deflated and no one will take them because of the open recall issue. My only option is to wait and hope Hyundai does the right thing, and then hope that if I want to get rid of it I can actually get what want for it. Very frustrating being totally handcuffed by Hyundai who doesn’t seem to care about their Canadian customers. I can tell you one thing, I will never buy a Hyundai again nor will I recommend them to any of my friends or family after this fiasco.

Rant complete, now I feel better haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KonaTom likes this.
  4. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Ginginova likes this.
  5. Sadly for Hyundai it seems like at least the first 2 models years, maybe even third should be avoided. On the upside they eventually get it right. I suppose in all fairness all of the manufacturer's have struggled to some extent with intro of new EV models. That said Hyundai has been mass producing EVs for at least 5 years it would be fair to assume that they should have a reasonable handle on them avoiding catching on fire at this point.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  6. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I think it’s less “Hyundai” and more federal law. We in Canada don’t have a all-encompassing “lemon law” like they do in the US.

I don’t think Hyundai is going “above and beyond” for customers in the US. They implemented a buy-back because they know they won’t have a battery replacement available in time to avoid any states lemon law kicking in.

You’ll notice now that some American customers are being denied buy backs because Hyundai now has the ability to have a battery available within a timeframe that’ll beat the lemon law.

In Canada, we have no such law - so Hyundai has absolutely no obligation to provide a buy-back option for us. We could theoretically wait around for 2 years until a battery is made available (which likely won’t be too far from reality)

If anything - we should be holding the federal government responsible to implement a buyers protection law, similar to a lemon law. Hyundai is only doing what any capitalist company would do, which is the absolute least they’re mandated to. They technically didn’t even have to offer us a $250 gift card!

Those arguing for a class action lawsuit don’t realise that by the time litigation is over - we’ll all get a cheque in the mail for a whopping $35 and still be in the exact same situation lol

I, personally am not okay with having my range limited to 80%, especially with a summer filled with camping trips booked where I now no longer have that safety buffer. I’ve reached out to my dealer and have asked for a loaner vehicle until my battery is replaced. I haven’t heard back, but expect the answer to be “no”. We’ll see what they say!

To you’re point though, I have absolutely loved my 2 Hyundai’s. Coming from the Audi/VW family - I was on a first name basis with my service center employees. I think I saw my service center twice in 5 years with my Santa Fe. Unfortunately, not the case with the Kona and as such, this will likely be my last Hyundai - unless they come out of left field with some customer service miracle!

apu and Shawn Schinkel like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Similar situation in Australia, BR. Although we do have national statutory warranty that over-rides everything a manufacturer might try to exclude, and extends beyond manufacturer's warranty. A "good", any good, must be fit for purpose and durable, according to what is designed for. If it fails those tests the manufacturer/dealer is liable for repair or replacement. My Mazda BT50 blew an engine 2 years and 20,000km out of warranty. Perfect service record, so no contributing factors by me. The engine was replaced. Dealer said it was for customer relations, but I'm certain it was because the failure was captured by the Australian statutory warranty - an engine in a 5 year old vehicle should not spontaneously blow up. If it does it is neither fit for purpose nor durable.

But consumers can still be left out in the cold if the repair is inadequate, as it can be, though certainly not in my case.

Brennan Raposo likes this.
  9. Brennan Raposo

I wish we had something similar here in Canada. We’ve got next to no consumer protections here, unfortunately. This is why we generally get rolled over, especially when compared to our American neighbours.

Funny you mention your Mazda engine exploding! I’m not sure what model that is, but an uncle of mine had his 4 year old Mazda SUV engine explode. Mazda refused to repair - he was on the hook for thousands. They got a lawyer involved and eventually had Mazda cover the cost. Once it was replaced - they sold it immediately. That’s how you lose a customer for generations lol!

10. Brennan Raposo

I wish we had something similar here in Canada. We’ve got next to no consumer protections here, unfortunately. This is why we generally get rolled over, especially when compared to our American neighbours.

Funny you mention your Mazda engine exploding! I’m not sure what model that is, but an uncle of mine had his 4 year old Mazda SUV engine explode. Mazda refused to repair - he was on the hook for thousands. They got a lawyer involved and eventually had Mazda cover the cost. Once it was replaced - they sold it immediately. That’s how you lose a customer for generations lol!

11. My Mazda was a 2014 5cyl 3.2 litre common rail diesel ute (pick-up in your parlance). A Ford Ranger in all mechanical respects, but with a Mazda skin (Mazda and Ford were partners in the vehicle). I was cruising at 100 KPH, heard a small noise from the front and a trail of smoke behind. I'm told one injector did something wrong which resulted in a hole in a piston and all the oil blown out of the engine.

Mazda were good, if a bit slow. I'd have bought Mazda again if they had an EV in Australia, but they don't. I don't think they have one anywhere just yet, but open to correction on that.

electriceddy and Brennan Raposo like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. We have an interesting MX-30 sub-forum you may want to read up on with some good discussions from a forum member Norwegian owner:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?forums/mazda.101/

14. Thanks electriceddy. Nothing from Mazda for EVs in Australia, and I am committed to my Kona EV now.

I bought mine 4 months too soon :( After a month of ownership, our State Treasurer announced significant tax relief for new EV buyers starting September. Blindsided me- there was no inkling of it in May when I parted with my hard-earned. In September I would have saved at least $AUD2500 stamp duty (like a contract tax) and possibly another $3000 subsidy. I doubt they'll back pay me, but I'm going to try.

15. Brennan Raposo

I bought mine a month too soon!
    I bought Feb 14th for full retail - no incentives.
    By March, our Federal government introduced a $4500 incentive removed at the dealership on purchase.

Oh well - I was spending nearly $700 a month on gas for my last vehicle. Every month I didn’t have an EV I was quite literally burning money. No regrets!

16. The killer is that it just dropped the resale value of our cars too.

17. Yes it did that, but from a selfish point of view I'm not too worried about it. My Kona is a long term purchase. I'm counting on 10 years or more. I don't change cars like I change underware:D

arhnold and syntaxfx like this.
  18. The Mazda EV is going to be available in NZ, but it's at a poor price/range ratio.
    I've mentioned this on a few occasions in several forums but I'll say it again for emphasis - the "fix" GM is applying to the Bolt after all this time appears (IMO) to be nothing more than much the same as our 196 update from last year, monitoring of the traction battery for several hours after charging in hopes of detecting a problem before the car self-combusts. Their batteries have a defect (which I can't imagine how it could not be exactly the same as what we have) yet GM are hoping to minimise the costs by not replacing the defective batteries. We are very fortunate that Hyundai have a conscience, so let's cut them a bit of slack.

R P, OzKona and Fastnf like this.
  19. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Assume people reading this thread will be interested in this video, although there's really nothing earthshattering here:

20. This was my original thinking as well. However, I'm now hearing stories (taken with a grain of salt) that Hyundai is relying on the software diagnostic as a remedy for Recall 200 rather than changing all the batteries. If true, they that means they are now taking GMs lead in dealing with this issue. I'm so glad I decided on perusing the buyback option.

21. I’ve seen no evidence that Hyundai are pursuing that option.

22. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Jamas, that's great if the buy-back option is still available to you. However, I think Hyundai is already closing that option to anyone else.

I had asked for a buy-back from Hyundai corporate in May 2021. My car was purchased in Los Angeles, California.

This is the 'Determination' Letter which I got from Hyundai a few days ago:

"Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America (“HMA”). We have reviewed your vehicle’s repair history and evaluated your request. Based on our investigation of the repair history to date, we have determined that repurchase is not warranted under the California Lemon Law. A fix for recall 200 is now available. You will be contacted by one of our representatives to make an appointment to have recall 200 completed.
    To the extent you disagree with our evaluation, if there is any additional or new information that you would like us to consider, such as photographs, videos, or another repair order, we are willing to reevaluate this matter upon receipt of those materials.
    Please note that any remaining terms of your vehicle’s limited warranties as set forth in the Owner’s Handbook and Warranty Information continue to apply.
    We would also like to take this opportunity to remind you that you may take advantage of the following alternative dispute resolution (“ADR”) program provided by HMA:
    BBB AUTO LINE
    BBB National Programs, Inc.
    1676 International Drive, Suite 550
    McLean, VA 22102
    1-800-955-5100
    The BBB AUTO LINE program, which performs arbitration services on disputes such as this one, is provided at no cost to you, and is part of HMA’s effort to provide an impartial third-party organization to equitably resolve concerns such as yours. To begin the ADR process, simply call the BBB National Programs at the number listed above and you will be sent a Customer Claim Form, along with a handbook describing how BBB AUTO LINE works. A decision is ordinarily rendered within forty (40) days of AUTO LINE’s receipt of a properly completed Customer Claim Form. BBB would then mail you a copy of the arbitrator’s decision and, if accepted by you, Hyundai would be required to comply with the decision of the arbitrator within certain time limitations. BBB would, thereafter, verify that the arbitrator’s decision had been completed. Again, this service is offered to you at no cost and if you do not agree with the BBB’s decision, it is not binding on you, but any BBB decision in your favor is binding on HMA should you choose to accept it.
    Please contact me if you have any questions. You can reach me directly by phone at (833) 462-8722 (ext: 65073) or through HMA’s website at https://owners.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/contact-us.html."

I am at a point where I am realizing that Hyundai is half-assed in building their cars. I wonder if they even perform quality checks on their products. Everything they do now are retroactive measures to limit their liability on their design flaws. They are also out to cut cost at the expense of their customers.

Let me make an example from recall 200. First, it is a blame game on LG Chem, claiming it is a battery issue on 2019 Kona EVs that catch on fire. This was all due to possible folded anode tabs within the batteries. Their previous recall resorted to software fix to limit battery charge rates. Since they haven't found a solution yet, they are offering buy-backs of the 2019 vehicles.

Fast forward today, it is now only batteries which were manufactured in Nangjing, China that have folded anode tab problems (really?). So, since they have found a 'fix', not all batteries need to be replaced. Not only that. Since they have a 'fix' for recall 200 (which is another software patch) they are closing the window for any buy-backs of the vehicles. The 'fix' never mentions that we can charge to 100% again, dealers are not sure, but we may not have our batteries replaced, because somehow Hyundai has a secret esoteric way of determining if the batteries in our Kona EVs will have the folded anode tab problem.....

Do I really trust Hyundai now? No. Their cars were never reputable for high quality. Their engineering and design speaks for itself. Their customer service is arbitrary; but mine has not been positive. Their communication with their customers are capricious and opaque.

Jumping from a Kona EV with a potential fire hazard that Hyundai is not really open about to an even more expensive Ioniq 5 that leaks coolant is not the best way to spend your hard earned money IMHO.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Jolee, BC-Doc and miatadan like this.