2019 Kona max charge rate of 175 kW?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Thomas Mackay, Jun 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Thomas Mackay

Thomas Mackay New Member

Went to an Electrify America charger today, one with a fancy label that says 350kW! (yes I realize the Kona cannot do that high a rate. BUT, my receipt says the rate maxed out at 175kW.... Thats about 100 kW's more than the Kona's advertised max charge rate? Right? Am I crazy? After I plugged it in, I sat and watched the rate rise to 70 kW's then I walked away from the car, so I did not visually confirm what the car actually did.

Both my EA receipt and my EA account both say 175. Mind Blown.

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Yeah, very strange. Probably a glitch in the EA software. It took you 32 minutes to charge 32kwh, though. So if you had a charge rate of 175kw it wouldn't have taken that long unless it was for only a couple seconds.

BTW the Kona can charge at 150kW. At least regenerative braking. Not CCS, though.

So even that isn't fast enough.

4. Sure that line on the ticket simply refers to the maximum rate possible from the charger given that it's at 400V.

5. Makes sense, 350 kW@ 800V , 175 kW @ 400V = max rating:)

FlexTail and KiwiME like this.
  6. It's a real benefit to have engineers engaged on this forum to remind us to not overlook the obvious:D

mho, Dag Lindquist, Tappets and 2 others like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CharlyM

CharlyM Member

Same happened to me, it even showed the car charging at 175kw on the app. Obviously a software bug :)

9. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

People in ID.4 forums are reporting the same thing. Must be an EA glitch of some sort.

10. One of our team reported seeing something similar on Facebook, I assume this is from A Kona Electric group.

Kona charge rate.png

Mattsburgh likes this.
  11. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Well, since EA charges for Kwh delivered, it really doesn't make any difference. Hope you were charging with the membership rate of $0.31 per Kwh. Maybe the bug is a throwback from when you were put in categories of max charge rate? I don't recall a 175 group.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Yes, I saw this on one of the Kona EV Facebook groups as well.

Domenick likes this.
  14. Wow, 100+ is pretty great. I still have never personally seen anything above 75 kW

15. Hopefully not a prelude to a flame out...?