Window Tint

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by mikeg0305, May 14, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

How long does it take for your SE to make the interior bearable on those days?

AndGuz likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

That's hard to tell, since Jessie starts doing her cooling thing at some point she determines, herself, before my departure time. If I had to guess, probably 20 to 30 minutes.

insightman and AndGuz like this.
  4. mikeg0305

mikeg0305 Active Member

A local but reputable tint shop put the 3M Crystaline tint on my sunroof for 100 bucks. Works great. Let’s in enough light to lighten up that cabin if wanted but blocks most of the IR heat from the sun. When the stock shade is pulled it is almost opaque.

Well worth the money to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Texas22Step, MichaelC and AndGuz like this.
  5. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

Mine is very tinted. Live in Phoenix - so its hot and bright.

This is almost mandatory!
    IMG_0727.JPG

stw203, Carsten Haase, AndGuz and 4 others like this.
  6. Thinking of add window tint when I get film rap on the car. My question is what % for life in the north. Would like to do all but the windshield. Pa is a 70% state no sure what that means.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The lower the % the less light comes in (darker tint); the higher the % the more light comes in (lighter tint). Some states have different % for the front and back windows. A reputable tint installer should help with this. Typically, they also have a tool to double check their work (the same one police officers use).

9. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Dang, the PA tint laws are terrible. 70% no matter which window.

Everywhere I've lived, the front windows coul be 40-50% and the back as dark as you want. I've always the darkest allowable on the
    front windows and 20% on the rear windows and the hatch. (And limo tint on the sunroof when I had one.)

10. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

@mikeg0305 - Would appreciate seeing photos of your car's sunroof with the new ceramic tint. I am pondering whether to add that as well. Thank you.

AndGuz likes this.
  11. mikeg0305

mikeg0305 Active Member

Updated pics including the sunroof. I flipped a coin in getting the Ceramic vs the Crystaline 3M tint. Crystaline blocks more IR heat so maybe should’ve gotten that on the sunroof. But it’s not as dark as the Ceramic.

Happy with the Ceramic so far as it’s a big difference over stock. Pics don’t do it justice in how much darker and cooler it is inside.
    IMG_6531.JPG IMG_6530.JPG IMG_6535.JPG IMG_6534.JPG IMG_6532.JPG IMG_6533.JPG

New versus old. Neighbor’s 65 Stang.
    IMG_1181.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Going with 55% on all 5 windows. I will post pictures when I pick it up.

14. Picture of 55% IMG_1267.JPG

MichaelC likes this.
  15. stw203

stw203 Member

@Tifosi Would you mind if I ask who you used for your tinting, whether you're happy with their work, and how much they charged you? I'm in Phoenix too and am about to get mine done, so a first-hand recommendation would be awesome...

16. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Here are my tint photos - 30%. I think the tint ties in nicely with the black roof.

BEFORE:
    IMG_9372.jpg

AFTER:
    IMG_9424.JPG

IMG_9425.jpg

Lainey, insightman, MichaelC and 2 others like this.
  17. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

looks great!

GvilleGuy likes this.
  18. Godfrey

Godfrey Member

I got Llumar Air 80 film on my new SE. Driving at night is getting more difficult as I get older, so my preference would have been to have no extra tint at all. Then again, I've had multiple skin cancer surgeries on my face and my UVA meter showed that the side windows in my SE block very little UVA. (The windshield, being laminated, blocks almost all UVA.)

I went to a tint shop that offers 3M to test the 3M Crystalline 70 (they didn't carry the 90) and the 3M Ceramic IR 70 with my UVA meter. The guy there also gave me a sample of the Llumar Air 80, a film I hadn't been aware of. It turned out that the Air 80 blocked more UVA than both 3M films (Crystalline came in second). According to a Llumar spec sheet, the Air 80 is also just as effective at blocking heat as their darker films.

I'm not loving the magenta tint I sometimes notice while wearing my polarized sunglasses (film itself appears to be slightly bluish), but it's a good trade-off to avoid high UVA exposure through the side windows.

Akanaten and GvilleGuy like this.
  19. Here in the UK the law on tints is very precise, and I know a few people who have legal tints, yet were pulled over because the police thought otherwise!
    I got the added darkened rear glass as an option, but would like to do the front ones (to a lesser degree) just to even it up a bit.
    Like Godfrey, I've had my fair share of skin cancer ops, and those front windows certainly burn your arms, so I'll check with my local agent later.
    upload_2021-8-17_13-12-42.jpeg

Lainey and GvilleGuy like this.
  20. TempoHouse

TempoHouse Member

Godfrey, you did the Air 80 on the windows? It's a dumb question, I know, it's just my local tint place appears to only do the Air 80 on windshields.

And, more generally, tint experts, is there any point to adding something like that (it's not cheap) to the windshield, or does it already block enough UV light (as Godfrey measured) and heat, glare...?

21. Godfrey

Godfrey Member

Yes, all windows other than the windshield. I'll post some photos. I just called the shop to make an appointment to have the same film put on my GTI and I asked if they carry the Air 90. I was told that they used to, but there was no demand for it because it doesn't block as much heat as the Air 80. I also don't know how the quality compares to the 3M films, which were both more expensive (especially the Crystalline); I chose the Air 80 for the slightly better UVA performance. All three films I tested blocked most UVA, but the Air 80 blocked the most.

TempoHouse likes this.
  22. Godfrey

Godfrey Member

Photos with Llumar Air 80 on all four side windows and hatch window. The last picture is with front windows rolled down to show rear tinted window compared to no glass at all.

I have similar photos taken before window film was installed and I like the better visibility and clearness with no film, but the film blocks most UVA and, according to Llumar, rejects 60% of "IR Energy" (heat from solar infrared radiation), which compares favorably to their dark films. What it doesn't do well at compared to darker films is glare reduction--virtually none.

1-20210816-IMG_5221-2.jpg

2-20210816-P8160017-2.jpg

3-20210816-P8160014-3.jpg

Windows rolled down:
    4-20210816-P8160021-2.jpg

23. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

Got mine done, makes a world of difference on the inside temp.

20210817_130728.jpg 20210817_130728.jpg 20210817_130746.jpg

Attached Files:

MichaelC and GvilleGuy like this.